Mjmama's Winter Hobby

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by mjmama25, Nov 5, 2012.

1. [quote name='"mjmama25"']It's supposed to be below freezing tonight and I worry about the plants in the toolshed. I put a towel over the t5, draping on either side of the seedlings to make a little tent over them. This should help hold in the heat from the lights. Wish my babies luck....[/quote]

Hope your babies are okay this mornin'!

2. Yeah hope they survived the night maybe an upgrade in the lighting in there plus a heater of some sort might help.

3. Nice lookin' I followed a lot of you stuff in the outdoor section this year and must say your ability to fill mason jars is most impressive!

My first indoor is in my unheated shop with a 400 MH. Even with -6 temps outside my room stays in the high teens (70) with lights on and low twwns (60) with lights off.

4. That IS local for me, hahaha. Right up the highway from me. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check them out for anything I can't find at my favorite grow store that's around the block. :D

You gotta love CA. A grow store on every neighborhood where the starbucks used to be. :hello:

So is this place you mentioned just on online source or do they have a physical store I can go to? Nevermind, I can figure that much out for myself. Thanks again.

5. #45 mjmama25, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2012
    Thanks guys. They did survive the night, but they look like they're hugging themselves for warmth. I'll post a pic in a minute.

I like the idea of upgrading my light the best. I've already been thinking about that. At least that's a good investment and will give me increased growth. And then I could use my T5 for over mother plants in the attic.

I don't really want to add a heater, just because my electric bill is already $500 a month, and that's without expensive indoor grow ops. Just our average energy use. The light seems like the way to go. I know the light will up my energy use too, but I feel much more justified about that knowing the increase in yields I should get in return.

The good news is, the rest of the week is supposed to be in the mid 40's at night, which will be much more managable. That will give me a little time to save up for the light, buy it, and get it installed.....hopefully before the temps drop again.

6. To raise room temp's if you run air cool'd hood's just remove 1 light out of loop. Not air cool'd no glass that will warm thing's up a bit . temp's over 78 seem to not b desirable .
    Unless you run co2 good luck with the winter grow

7. It's just a T5 that I'm using in veg, so I don't think it's air cooled. But I'm no expert on indoor growing by any means. Maybe just adding a few CFL's for side lighting would raise the temps enough. I know I used to have a hard time controlling the high temps in my closet CFL grows I did.

8. That is sweet your near the store and yes they have a physical brick and mortar establishment as well been meaning to go check it out sometime :) I would rock a 400 if I were you be enough heat but not too much and would run MH and get some killer potency as your getting uvb not present in hps bulbs.

9. You mean use MH in flower?

Interesting. I just read some grow journals using MH in flower with great results. It would be nice to have one light that can be used for veg and flowering. Now I just need to come up with the cash to buy a new light. For now I added the extra CFL's I was talking about since I already had those sitting around the house.

10. #50 BYOweed, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2012
    [quote name='"mjmama25"']
    You mean use MH in flower?

Interesting. I just read some grow journals using MH in flower with great results. It would be nice to have one light that can be used for veg and flowering. Now I just need to come up with the cash to buy a new light. For now I added the extra CFL's I was talking about since I already had those sitting around the house.[/quote]

MH emits UV light. UVA, UVB, and UVC(3 bands of UV) are critical to THC devolopement. If you use MH lighting the last 2 weeks potency can be increased to it's full potential. UV is absorbed into cooltube and air cooled hoods, so you want an open air MH system for results.

11. Yea i tried to delete that did not realize it was a t5 grow . I also didn't realize it was just for the outdoor grow . My bad , I would seriously consider running a indoor grow start to finish like a 600 even split that shed you got use heat from 600 to sustain veg / outoor deal you got going . At least the heat source would pay you back vs buying a heater just my 2 cent's

12. Iv seen what you can do outdoor why not put the skills to work indoor .I know you got major weight outdoor but indoor is so much better all around 1 600 easy half pound in time you have playing around with winter veg you could get 1 unit or more by time outdoor hits again pay for electricity t5's and all you have invested plus have a pretty penny to run a superb outdoor show this up coming season Hell even flower under the t5 if you want change bulb's done . I just like to always be profiting seems a waste of time just playing around all winter with seed's and veg

13. [quote name='"Jeremy 707"']Iv seen what you can do outdoor why not put the skills to work indoor .I know you got major weight outdoor but indoor is so much better all around 1 600 easy half pound in time you have playing around with winter veg you could get 1 unit or more by time outdoor hits again pay for electricity t5's and all you have invested plus have a pretty penny to run a superb outdoor show this up coming season Hell even flower under the t5 if you want change bulb's done . I just like to always be profiting seems a waste of time just playing around all winter with seed's and veg[/quote]

Don't get me wrong. I'm definitely going to flower some plants this winter. I'm planning to grow the seeds until they are ready to flower, take clones, then flowering out the originals. Then if the moms came out dank, I'll keep the clones I took for my outdoor.

14. Ok just seem'd you where all about veg . What do i know though best of luck ill check back
    soon later's

15. I can see how it would look that way, but I'm just taking things as they come. Flowering is still a long way away.

16. It will definitely be looking for and MH light soon. I wish indoors was as simple as outdoors! Outdoors I just need good soil, an ample amount of sun, and water to be set for the season. Pest control and privacy/security were my main concerns. Indoors I have to learn about electrical, ducting and airflow, heaters, co2, sulfur burners, etc. It's a pain in the ass! :p:poke:

17. [quote name='"mjmama25"']
    It will definitely be looking for and MH light soon. I wish indoors was as simple as outdoors! Outdoors I just need good soil, an ample amount of sun, and water to be set for the season. Pest control and privacy/security were my main concerns. Indoors I have to learn about electrical, ducting and airflow, heaters, co2, sulfur burners, etc. It's a pain in the ass! :p:poke:[/quote]

Hahaha it certainly is, I can back that up! :laughing:

I swear I have dreams about being able to grow outdoors, 2lb 10ft landrace sativas in organic soil on a colorado hillside was last nights..

18. Yeah outdoor is a lot easier and a lot cheaper. :). But I can't help running some lights and always having something growing its just the addiction of growing I don't feel complete if I don't have something growing. I plan to add an MH open air next to my hps air cooled that way I get a nice mixed spectrum and can just move plants back and forth under the different light.

19. [quote name='"BYOweed"']

Hahaha it certainly is, I can back that up! :laughing:

I swear I have dreams about being able to grow outdoors, 2lb 10ft landrace sativas in organic soil on a colorado hillside was last nights..[/quote]

Take away the part about a Colorado hillside and that's pretty much what I've been doing all summer! My biggest outdoor yield about 2 lbs of tops, and quite a bit more of the popcorn buds. I still have the last of the popcorn drying on the rack but it looks like its going to be a total of around 4 lbs. that blows my mind! I was hoping for anything over 1 lb. :D

Hopefully I can pull of something half way decent for my indoor grow.

20. Mama
    How do you smoke 4lbs in a year
    Its a lot of Ganja LOL (like 6oz a months wow)