Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

MJ in the old west?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by travilanche, Jun 30, 2010.

1. So I've been playing Red Dead Redemption every single day since the day it came out and still think it's fun as fuck. There is a movie in the movie theater in one of the towns about all the different drugs that were popular at the time and they showed a little blip of a bunch of mexicans smoking a joint. So I was wondering how common weed smoking was in the old west. I know they smoked a shit ton of opium, as is portrayed in many-a-western film. However they never talk about MJ at all.

Does anyone know how popular weed was in the old west with gunslingers and outlaws and such? Somehow the man with no name seems a little cooler to me if he's got a dash of weed rolled up in that cigarillo he's always smoking.

2. Ya, of course, but id say its time to lay off the RDR
    (it is a great game though, its just that your basing everything you know off of it which is sad)

3. Give the guy a break. The game is great, and yes it's a western. It inspired him to make this topic and try to learn something new.

4. haha saw this right as im about to toke up and play. i saw that in game movie thing you're talking about, it's funny as shit

5. I'm not basing anything I know off of the game. In fact I don't know anything about MJ use back then, other than I believe in the union it says something along the lines of 80% of medical patents in the U.S. had cannabis in them before the 1880's. Couldn't find any actual info on it's 19th century u.s. popularity either. Just curious.

6. That little movie was fucking hilarious.
    I'm not sure, but I assume that they did smoke a lot of weed.
    Especially that close to the Mexican border.

7. Before I opened the thread, I knew it had to be associated with Red Dead Redemption. I imagine cannabis was smoked in the west during the 19th century. They sold heroin at drug stores.

Dankest of Dank sounds like your mother telling you to stop playing video games. Perhaps if you don't have a response related to the thread you should shut the fuck up.

8. here comes the history buff. after the Mexican-American War in 1848 and when Texas became a territory of the US in 1850 (RDR takes place in 1911), Mexicans often went there to work or live, and they brought weed with them. this is one of the reasons for marijuana prohibition because after the war, there was a lot of bad blood between the US and Mexico, and all the Mexicans coming here smoking weed pissed off a lot people.

to answer your question, there was probably a fair amount of weed in the old west, but it was more of a Mexican thing. cocaine was the thing back then