Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

MJ co-exist with Schizophrenia ?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by exoticincense, Apr 20, 2012.

1. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia about 4 years ago, but it not something that just popped up out of nowhere (sorta) i have been suffering since i was about 19 im 30 now.

I during that time when i was about 17-18ish i was smoking pot pretty regularly up until i got my first serious job about when i was 19 quit smoking for about 6 years.

Then i started on the synthetics that were just coming out. I was doing fine everything was ok to a point, probably used them close to a year. I wont name brands or names but the most popular is what i had, then the feds really started cracking down on these 'synthetics' and late in the season i got a hold of a new type of synthetic that had the word 'kush' in the title and it blew my mind had a breakdown.

Thats when i went to the doc again and got diagnosed. Reason being is i think my anxiety went thru the roof and i felt like my whole life up to that point had been wasted and was really feeling down, i mean really down i was threatening suicide and all with severe panic attacks from that 'kush'.

I think ive come along way since then, i take my prescribed medication as i should and everything has been working out, other than i few tough days here and there.

My main question is it possible for mary-j to coexist with my illness ? i know i was doing fine on the synthetics but that was before my diagnoses and before i got ahold of this 'kush' stuff.

Im made alot of progress i feel and dont want to flush it down the drain with a bad experience again. What are yo'ur thoughts and what strain would you possibly recommend over another if i was to try it ?

Im just looking for a little relief from my anxiety and to be able to relax a little more, i dont like drinking or the affect it has on me, it just not a comfortable relaxation i get from drinking, more of a generic buzz which i dont like.

please give me some feedback thanks

2. I wouldn't recommend it personly but I know nothing about it, do the research. If it makes it better then more power too you

3. They say that it may bring it out more.

Personally I think that those studies are bogus and just take schizophrenics that are self medicating and just saying "LOOK AT WHAT THIS DEVIL WEED IS DOING!!! IT IS TURNING THEM SCHIZOPHRENIC!!!!".

Personally I'd say try it out. If it doesn't work out then just stop.

4. #4 scrambledegg81, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012
    Actually, there's a lot of research coming to light that shows MMJ can exasperate symptoms of schizophrenia in kids & young adults who have a genetic predisposition for it. One of the only downfalls to be found in MMJ that I've found. However, there is also the belief that it can help adults with schizophrenia due to physical changes in the brain that occur through puberty (what causes that phenomenon is anyone's guess). I'm sure Storm Crow has at least a dozen articles about it in her compendium (located here).

5. Please don't quote me, I really don't know a lot about this, but my mother worked in the dept of mental health for years. She dealt with a lot of patients who were on MJ. Some say they swear by it, it really helped them a lot. Some it didn't and made things worse. I really think it depends on the person. It may help, it may not. I do know someone with mild schizophrenia who smoked between the ages of 16 and 40, then stopped and when she stopped is when she developed her schiz. symptoms. She hasn't done it since with all the other drugs she's on for it, but she thinks it helped keep it at bay.

Basically it all depends on you personally. The only way to know is to try it in a somewhat controlled setting. If it helps great, of not then don't touch it.

6. #6 doctorMJ, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
    You mean "exacerbate" (or worsen) it? I have not heard that before.

I have heard the part about if folks teenage and below were "predisposed to schizophrenia" it could increase their chances. But it is more than likely speculation, because you have no control to test it with (cannot test the same person both using cannabis in early years and NOT using it in early years) and psychological conditions/studies are not as alike from person-to-person as something like heart conditions, respiratory diseases, diabetes, etc. The mind/brain is where we "exist" and what determines everything about who we are, our values, behavior, etc. There is a reason it is the only thing they cannot transplant (and still do not fully understand as compared to other body organs/systems). People who are predisposed are just that - predisposed - and more likely to suffer whatever condition they are predisposed to.

7. "if it ain't weed, don't smoke it"

my life guideline.

8. If you want to relax, try meditation and Yoga.
    Marijuanna can increase your anxiety and panic attacks, it´s all about set and setting.

9. Marijuana can be tailored to suit your particular need; adjust when you harvest to the preferred effect, trichomes are your guide but it takes personal experience to find the buzz that works for you. Whether anxiety or aches, there is a level of maturity (measured by said trics) that will appeal to your situation. I'm speaking as though you have the time and patience to grow your own, otherwise there really is no way to tell. I tend to shy from pharmaceuticals due to less than satisfying results; I also find a very calming effect simply growing it.

10. We're talking about your brain here brah. I think you should ask a doctor, not a forum. No docs gonna call the cops on someone for askin a question

11. I say go for it recently had a psychosis in November of 2011 turned out I wasn't schizophrenic but if I was believe me I would atleast try the herb before not using it any more.

12. I was also told by my doctor recently since I still smoke I shouldn't be an everyday smoker.

13. Theres actually an episode of TrueLife in which the guy has schizophrenia and smokes pot all the time. He also refused to take his medication. You should watch it, might help.

14. #14 ManoftheClouds, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2012
    Well in my experience...Pot doesn't cause "schizophrenia". I never heard any voices throughout my childhood. I never heard any voices while smoking pot, nor while high on any other drugs from the ages of 16-20. After I quit and got completely sober I didn't have this problem either.

It is a long story, but I started hearing voices for the first time in my life the day I created an internationally viewable public Facebook.com webpage at the age of 21. I went over to a friends house to use the internet, posted a new picture of myself and got back in contact with some old school friends from Southern California. A few hours later after I'd gone home, I just started hearing a female voice saying interactive comments to me from thin air. This continued and it was scary, but I did my best to ignore this new supernatural phenomena. From what happened to me, I say schizophrenia is caused by something totally different from what Doctors explain. Something supernatural that we can't explain yet.

Pot is a natural substance compared to your synthetic chemical psychotropic medication, so it is obvious which one is more detrimental to your health. You're going to have to make your own personal healthcare choice as to whether you want to test Pot again and it's effects on you in your current state. I hope you feel better buddy.

15. i agree with Dissec. I also have Paranoid Schizophrenia..and i smoke often. I turned Schizophrenic after taking a drug called DOC...it's kind of like LSD. to make a long story short..i took too much of it and it messed me up.

The best thing would probably be to stay on meds..i smoke because i feel that my medicine doesn't really help me. If you do choose to smoke..try to get some Purple Kush. Ever since i have had Schizophrenia Purp seems to relax me more than any other strain..or if you live in a state where you have access to Medical bud..try to get a strain high in CBD such as Harlequin, Sour Tsunami

check out the availability tab on projectcbd.org for high CBD strains..

unfortunately i live in Kansas..so i don't have access to these strains..i'm thinking about growing some Purp or another Indica strain though to help my condition..

God Bless !