Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Mj and seizures?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by FoX_, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Iv done some research trying to find if MJ can cause seizures but haven't found much... Iv had two seizures so far in my life time the first one i hadn't smoked in about two days.... but about two weeks ago i had a seizure while driving about a half hour after i smoked a blunt of mids... and now when i smoke mids my heart really starts to race, and on my hospital discharge papers it said that the MJ caused it but i don't believe it. What do you think? Should i quit smoking in general or just stay away from the swag? Thanks for the help guys!:smoke:

2. Please print some of these out and take them back to the hospital! (You might even want to read them! ;) )

Marijuana and Epilepsy (anecdotal- no date)
    at Rxmarihuana.com

Anti-epileptic Action of Marijuana-Active Substances (full - 1949)
    http://www.mikuriya.com/s3_6.pdf

Anticonvulsant nature of marihuana smoking. (abst - 1975)
    Clinical Studies and Case Reports

Cannabidiol--antiepileptic drug comparisons and interactions in experimentally induced seizures in rats. (full - 1977)
    http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/conte...8e64d156c12d04bd3c7d5f21&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Chronic administration of cannabidiol to healthy volunteers and epileptic patients.
    (abst - 1980)

Antiepileptic potential of cannabidiol analogs. (abst - 1981)
    Antiepileptic potential of cannabidiol analogs. [J Clin Pharmacol. 1981 Aug-Sep] - PubMed result

The cannabinoids as potential antiepileptics. (abst - 1981)
    The cannabinoids as potential antiepileptics. [J Clin Pharmacol. 1981 Aug-Sep] - PubMed result

Hypnotic and Antiepileptic Effects of Cannabidiol (abst - 1981)
    Hypnotic and antiepileptic effects of cannabidiol. [J Clin Pharmacol. 1981 Aug-Sep] - PubMed result

Anticonvulsant effects of the (-) and (+)isomers of cannabidiol and their dimethylheptyl homologs. (abst - 1982)
    Anticonvulsant effects of the (-) and (+)isomers o... [Pharmacology. 1982] - PubMed result

Effects of cannabidiol on behavioral seizures caused by convulsant drugs or current in mice. (abst - 1982)
    Effects of cannabidiol on behavioral seizures caus... [Eur J Pharmacol. 1982] - PubMed result

Marijuana use and the risk of new onset seizures. (full - 1992)
    Marijuana use and the risk of new onset seizures.

Treatment with CBD in oily solution of drug-resistant paediatric epilepsies.
    (full - 2001)

Therapeutic Aspects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids (full - 2001)
    http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/reprint/178/2/107.pdf

The Endogenous Cannabinoid System Regulates Seizure Frequency and Duration in a Model of Temporal Lobe Epilepsy (full - 2003)
    The Endogenous Cannabinoid System Regulates Seizure Frequency and Duration in a Model of Temporal Lobe Epilepsy ? JPET

Experiences with THC-treatment in children and adolescents (abst - 2003)

Cannabis may help epileptics (news - 2003)
    Cannabis may help epileptics

Marijuana Use More Prevalent With Epilepsy (needs free registration)
    (news - 2003)
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/465891

Endocannabinoids and Their Implications for Epilepsy (full - 2004)
    Endocannabinoids and Their Implications for Epilepsy

Cannabinoids: Defending the Epileptic Brain (full - 2004)
    Cannabinoids: Defending the Epileptic Brain

Marijuana use and epilepsy - Prevalence in patients of a tertiary care epilepsy center (abst - 2004)
    Marijuana use and epilepsy ? Neurology

Epilepsy patients are smoking pot (news - 2004)
    ASA : Medical marijuana

Anandamide Induced Anti-Convulsion in an In Vitro Model of Epilepsy
    (abst - 2005)
    http://www.kau.edu.sa/centers/spc/jkau/Doc/Med/12/Mada.pdf

Forebrain-Specific Inactivation of Gq/G11 Family G Proteins Results in Age-Dependent Epilepsy and Impaired Endocannabinoid Formation (full - 2006)
    Forebrain-Specific Inactivation of Gq/G11 Family G Proteins Results in Age-Dependent Epilepsy and Impaired Endocannabinoid Formation -- Wettschureck et al. 26 (15): 5888 -- Molecular and Cellular Biology

Not Too Excited? Thank Your Endocannabinoids (full - 2006)
    ScienceDirect - Neuron : Not Too Excited? Thank Your Endocannabinoids

The Endocannabinoid System Controls Key Epileptogenic Circuits in the Hippocampus (full - 2006)
    The Endocannabinoid System Controls Key Epileptogenic Circuits in the Hippocampus

Activation of the Cannabinoid Type-1 Receptor Mediates the Anticonvulsant Properties of Cannabinoids in the Hippocampal Neuronal Culture Models of Acquired Epilepsy and Status Epilepticus (full - 2006)
    Activation of the Cannabinoid Type-1 Receptor Mediates the Anticonvulsant Properties of Cannabinoids in the Hippocampal Neuronal Culture Models of Acquired Epilepsy and Status Epilepticus ? JPET

Cannabinoid CB1 receptor antagonists cause status epilepticus-like activity in the hippocampal neuronal culture model of acquired epilepsy (full - 2006)
    Cannabinoid CB1 receptor antagonists cause status epilepticus-like activity in the hippocampal neuronal culture model of acquired epilepsy

Brain's Cannabinoid System 'Mellows' Seizures (news - 2006)
    Brain's Cannabinoid System 'Mellows' Seizures

Downregulation of the CB1 Cannabinoid Receptor and Related Molecular Elements of the Endocannabinoid System in Epileptic Human Hippocampus
    (full - 2007)
    Downregulation of the CB1 Cannabinoid Receptor and Related Molecular Elements of the Endocannabinoid System in Epileptic Human Hippocampus -- Ludányi et al. 28 (12): 2976 -- Journal of Neuroscience

Endocannabinoids block status epilepticus in cultured hippocampal neurons
    (full - 2007)
    Endocannabinoids block status epilepticus in cultured hippocampal neurons

Development of pharmacoresistance to benzodiazepines but not cannabinoids in the hippocampal neuronal culture model of status epilepticus (full - 2007)
    Development of pharmacoresistance to benzodiazepines but not cannabinoids in the hippocampal neuronal culture model of status epilepticus

Marijuana: an effective antiepileptic treatment in partial epilepsy? (abst - 2007)

Cannabidiol Displays Antiepileptiform and Antiseizure Properties In Vitro and In Vivo (abst - 2010)
    Cannabidiol Displays Antiepileptiform and Antiseizure Properties In Vitro and In Vivo ? JPET

Delta-Tetrahydrocannabivarin suppresses in vitro epileptiform and in vivo seizure activity in adult rats. (abst - 2010)
    Δ⁹-Tetrahydrocannabivarin suppresses in vitro epil... [Epilepsia. 2010] - PubMed result

That should give you (and the doctors!) some nice winter's reading. And if you ever need to know just about anything about medical use of cannabis, just click the first link in my sig. I have 420 pages of links like that on everything from "ADHD" to "MAD COW DISEASE" to "WOUNDS". Cannabis is absolutely amazing stuff! You guys really have no idea what it can do!

Educate yourselves!

:D Happy New Year! :D

Granny :wave:

3. Happy New year!!

Thank you soo much for all this information I will be printing this out and bringing it to the bitch that wrote the report saying that MJ caused it. I am now facing 3 criminal acts because of the seizure. I have another Neurologist that is also writeing me another letter saying that this was a seizure and not caused my the abuse of any drugs to bring into court on the tenth. I really appericate you showing me all these great articles and personal experiances. Thank you again!

4. THC and CBD trigger seizures in epilepsy. Most strains of marijuana, recreational or supposed medical marijuana is PRO CONVULSIVE. There are a few medical marijuana strains for epilepsy. They have a high CBD and a low THC/CBN ratio. Look at the Americans for Safe Access website.

When Government is afraid of the citizens that is Liberty. When the citizens are afraid of the Government that is Tyrany - Thomas Jefferson

5. Thank you again i will be looking into Americans for Safe Access i looked briefly but did not find much...

6. I have intractable epilepsy (meds don't help much) and haven't had a seizure while smoking before. I am currently taking several AEDs(anti-epileptic drugs) and still have small ones and the occasional big ones. I can honestly say I believe that MJ helps with my seizures not cause them.

( I am going for a 2nd brain surgery soon to remove the scarring from my brain....long story).

I DO NOT USE MMJ I only smoke what I get off my friend. (I will be applying for my MMJ card soon so I can get strains more appropriate for epilepsy after my surgery).

Storm Crows links are very helpful and insightful. Make sure you give them a read.

7. Thank you It seems your situation is far worse than mine TragclyHipCheck and i hope your surgerie goes well. But i am glad to hear MMJ is helping. But because the state i live in it is hard to obtain MMJ where i know the true THC to CBD ratio. Im not sure if it worth growing or not yet i mean its one thing to get caught with a bag ($100.00 Fine) But im not sure if growing is worth the risk. :/

8. #9 RobinSpake, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2011

You sound like me, except I never had surgery. I did not have the option of having medical grade marijuana, and MJ is not legal in IA (I used to live in IA). I had no
    problem with the police. They knew what I was doing.
    They don't bother people who use medical marijuna. There are several people who use actual medical medical marijuana. Some people have M.S., and a few use it for pain. There is a minister who buys it for his daughter who has Leukemia. MJ is used recreationally, of course. About 1/4 of the people near were I use to live use it recreationally. The police don't bother anyone if you don't make an ars of yourself, don't break any other laws, and are peaceable. Weed is not hard to get. I don't use it today (It's been a few years. I don't miss it, I hate THC).

What had helped, btw, was getting off of most of the AED's that they had put me on. My new Epileptologist had said that I was on too many, and at toxic doses. He is correct.

No one there ever heard of medical marijuana (other than let's have a bake and call it medical). I am glad that there is such a thing as marijuana. My doctors had said that there was nothing that they could do to help me. Make my peace, my plans, goodbye. MJ kept me alive.

Some day, when it becomes legal here, I plan on raising medical mj CBD rich, THC low strains, grow the clean green certified, and open a Medical medical MJ pharmacy.

A few people knew about Medical medical MJ where I had lived. I would get an argument about medical strains from most people there.

Harlequin is one of the few strains that I am aware of. There are a few more. I have heard rumors about a strain called "Omrita".

See my blog, Medical Marijuana is not recreational

A good website is ASA. ASA is strictly medical (real medical, and not call it medical to get stoned.)

I am always looking for more information on the some what limited number of strains of medical marijuana. If you find any, please leave a note on my blog, and I will be happy to add it.

See Project CBD

See Marijuana without the buzz

See Medical MJ <<<<<

9. Green has Anticonvulsant properties similar to benzos. Your heart racing is normal because green temporarily but harmlessly (if your healthy) raising blood pressure.

The hospital, like most is prob anti anything taboo and although YOU NEED to see a doc about the seizures which could be a serious medical condition (but manageable in most cases so dont freak) Green DID NOT CAUSE THEM.

10. The higher level of THC, the more the heart races. Some strains of marijuana are as high as 30 percent THC. At that level, the hrt rate is fatal.
    I have seen posts on many web sites where people complain of a heart racing. Some of the strains are rejected (by mj users) because they cause chest pain.

The anticonvulsant properties of mj has been found. It is not like benzo's. MJ offers more than benzos, as mj actually protects cells from damage.

THC does trigger seizures. That is why in epilepsy requires a strain of mj that is low in THC, and high is CBD. The same is true for certain auto-immune disorders, Dystonia, and most motion disorders.

I have epilepsy and take medical marijuana for epilepsy. High THC strains will almost kill me. Some of the nicest buds are off limits to me.

I have been in E.R.s stoned (and they knew it). I reeked from being baked. There is not much that they could do, since they wrote me off as dead. (Seriously. They had told be that I should go home and take care of things and say good bye to family/ freinds). MJ works!! Of course hospitals are anti-mj ! (unless you are in the Netherlands).

11. Sigh. I mean no harm or disrespect but I feel that I need to add my two sense.

Like I stated, MJ does cause a temp increase in blood pressure and does cause many users to report a racing heart rate. Keep in mind that the higher the THC level the higher chance a user (usually a novice user) may actually get anxiety, panic et al. However the heart rate is not fatal. I believe there has been No more than 3 reported deaths due to MJ and in all three cases the new england journal of medicine reports that all users were on other illicit substances.

Further, benzos have higher anticonvulsant properties, especially ativan which is the drug of choice in hospitals because they hit the GABA receptors which trigger central nervous system depression. MJ works on an entire diff. mechanism.

There is evidence that that mj protects cellular damage and new studies show that its properties can actually prevent structural damage in cancer patients.

If you have any scholarly research that prevents your argument I would love for you to PM me the link and I will bow down gracefully.

Regardless, I will admit that extreme THC levels in certain strains DO give me anxiety but panic and anxiety run on a complete different mechanism within the body than seizure activity.

12. #13 RobinSpake, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2011
    IT WOULD APPEAR THAT YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THC AND TACHARDIA, THANK YOU. I DO KNOW THAT TOO MUCH THC TRIGGERS SEIZURES, HOWEVER. I HAD THAT PROBLEM. I HAVE SPOKEN TO ABOUT 60 PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE. It is also well published. It can also be found by looking at the Rx drugs, Marinol, drobinol, and Savitex. Savitex is made from marijuana (it is a tincture). I had used MJ for years as a medication for my epilepsy. I spoke to people who have
    Dystonia have the same problem as well as certain auto-immune disorders. (People that I know personally). Years ago, when I had first considered using marijuana (1996) I had no idea of how to obtain it or use it, or amounts to buy (I thought that you need about 6 oz a day. To me 6 oz didn't seem like much. I was thinking ground beef).). With no idea, I thought who shall I ask? Obviously not my MD. I thought someone who uses a lot of it. - People with AIDS. I called a lot of AIDS support groups and explained my problem. They were very helpful. I did not have AIDS but we were in the same boat - we were going to die, and the doctors couldn't do anything. They offered to give me my first joint free. I married a lady who has epilepsy like me. I had moved to IA and forgot about using MJ, because I went to MAYO CLINIC. They had tried and were unable to help me. I divorced and moved (still in IA). I had to do something. A man who became a friend gave me some (his wife uses it for pain-they don't any meds for her). I met a lot of people in the town where I was living. There are a LOT of people who use it medically (and a lot who use it for fun). It is widely accepted as a Folk Medicine (a minister buys it for his daughter). We (the medical MJ users know a lot of other MJ users (We share weed. When someone is out everyone helps).

I have had many an OZ of really nice bud, (a lot of kind available). The better (more THC) the bud the worse I became. Nice bud almost killed me (too much THC). It did make it cheaper. To this day I have no idea if the feral hemp that grows all over the place (10,000 plants line the highways, and line the walk and bike trail. It grows near schools. No one cares, it could never get you high) might work for some things. If it did it would be cheap. In IA it would be free. That was years ago. If MJ becomes legal for Med here, I hope to grow a lot of it (and sell it). MJ is a drug (wanted my many) without the high. According to AARP (Association for Retired Persons) MJ is as important as an Rx drug (but is not as avilable). The age 50 up use it for pain control. Gramps does not want to be stoned, he wants to be with his grandchildren. Nurses have many patients who use MJ. I know, I was in a Nursing home for 5 days when I was waiting for a bed in MAYO. Don't ever go in to a Nursing home for a long time. 5 days was h*ll. I know where they get it (it is usually in a space cake).
    The local police could care less if you (anyone) smoked weed. Recreationally, medically, as long as do not make an arse of yourself, run down N Main street, commit some other crime, and you used it in the privacy of your home they rode by the house.
    Unless you are a criminal (not having to do with MJ, you did not have to worry about the local police). The FEDS are a different matter. Every Jan they have "Sweep Month". They come in IN FORCE. Like ants on honey. They have some sort of mandate to take out the town. They miss nothing. If someone lost a Tylenol outside of their home, they would raid the place.
    If you smashed up a banana an put it in a pipe, and had walked outside, 30 officers would stand on
    your back as you were face down on the pavement. "What's the meaning of that". "It's a medical banana". "200 years for you"!
    During Sweep Month they cut down 1000's of hemp plants, and would boast that they had saved the world. It grew back.
    I don't care if they cut down all of the hemp. It grows all over the place. The spend (guess) a million dollars to cut down a plant that no one cares about? What waste of tax dollars!!

13. #14 RobinSpake, Feb 11, 2011
    - Continued -

Something funny. I had read news item that in Washington State (?) The state government had opened some MJ 'Pharmacies'. The Feds? came in and arrested the state. I will have to look that up, I know the web site and the forum. I need tp clarify. If I were selling MJ where I live, it would have some THC in it. Not a lot, as Grandad wants pain relief. If he wants to get stoned -weed is all over the place.

14. #15 RobinSpake, Feb 11, 2011

15. I feel for you bro. Keep your head up. Like me... my medical conditions are so debilitating MJ is the only thing that keeps me alive. I am going crazy living in VA for the next two months until I get enough money to move back west.

As far as the Script drugs, Sativex seems to have the most promise. Its not available in the US yet but they are allowing clinical trials for it in the US. Right now they are full but if a spot opens up I will be first in line. Marinol IS HORRID AND DANGEROUS and is the gov. attempt to save face. They freaking put one out of hundreds of cannabinods in it and say HERE YOU GO now mj is even worse because we have a legal version. Not to mention if you dont have healthcare LIKE ME and thousands of people in the US its like 400 bucks a month!

One of my college degrees is only in Pharmacology (the other in Public relations) so please do not take everything I say 100 percent valid without checking with a understanding doctor. I am lucky, mine smokes!

16. The goverment claims that anything marijuana is (only a scheme to make your head fall off?), no good ever came out of the cannabis plant.

When Savitex makes it, and as it is tincture of marijuana, what will they say next? "That is Canadian, and we don't recognise it as marijuana, because marijuana is no good for you."

Savitex does look promising. Look at ClinicalTrials.gov to get in line.

17. i have lived my whole life with epilepsy(TLE)....

didnt know i had it until i was 32yrs old.....

i started smoking weed when i was 8yrs old..... with my 17year old babysitter......every night.....

thru my teens and 20s i did alot of "other" drugs as well.....

i listed all of those drugs and "amounts" off to my neurologist....

he told me he is certain that my chioce in "other drugs" wouldnt have effected my epilepsy at all....

but that the fact that i smoked so much weed....is likely a major contributing factor in it taking 32 years to become something noticeable to anyone but me......

i have had simple partial seizures my whole life.....i had no words to describe the visions and sensations i would experience....
    these experiences made psychedelic drugs a disappointment.....

so i kept it to myself.....
    it was my secret!

knowing what i know now......
    there were a few times i had "complex partial seizures" before i was diagnosed at 32yrs....
    people would tell me i did things and i didnt remember these things happening so i would get mad.....and say they were lying!
    ....that led to a dark time in my life.....
    and during that time..... i was not smoking any weed......:eek:

when i was 32...the stress in my life had become such that
    my neurons let loose!
    i woke up one day ...........

and the shit had hit the fan!

a cupple months latter.....
    i ran my f-350 into two cars stopped at a red light......doing 55...never touched the breaks.....
    the guy in my passenger seat said i just smiled at him real big when he asked if i was going to hit the break......:eek:
    i dont remember any of that...

so the doc told me i had more back to back partial seizures on the eeg then anyone he had ever seen in 20yrs of being a neurologist...

they gave me pharmaceuticals....

and i had nothing but trouble with them!

the side effects of most were horrible!!!

depicote.....i had to sit in the dark with dark glasses.....the sunlight burned my skin......

dilanton....fucked me!
    my body metabolized it too fast......
    so the levels would jump when i took it and drop right after...this caused me to start having the first of many grand mal seizures....

did i mention i never had just one?

always status!

had part of my brain taken out.....

still have seizures......less frequent....less intense......less pills!!!!!

instead of waking up twice a month tied to a bed with no idea how i got there...or how long i had been there......

it has been only twice in a year and a half.......and i wasnt tied to the bed!!!!!!:hello:

there were no stories of how many people it took to get me into the ambulance! no one got beat up at all!!!!!
    that in itself is a great improvement!
    only real problem was i woke up and couldnt remember the previous 6 months.....:eek:
    but reality is.....

when it comes to epilepsy and medication....
    few people are fortunate enough to have their seizures controlled by just one medication....most have the best luck with a combo..... you may need to take something along with weed to be completely effective.....

now when you find something that works for you....stick with it!

this is where the weed helps me the most!!!!!!

in dealing with the side effects!
    particularly the "mental" side effects!

with TLE you can experience all the symptoms of schizophrenia...

and it just so happens that controlling the seizures with meds.....

can intensify all these symptoms......:eek:

what types of seizures are my fellow epileptic blades having?

i have done so much research on epilepsy ......
    read everything i can find!

what kind of effects do your seizures have on your daily lives?

:smoke:

18. Im 21 Y/o So far iv had two grand maul seizures. The first one a little over a year ago i was fighting my brother when all he was doing was trying to keep me from hitting shit... I woke up surrounded by paramedics and fire fighters who i was also fighting. My second grand maul seizure was much worse i was driving home with my girl and i had a classic convulsing (gran maul) seizure with my foot stuck on the gas my gf grabbed the wheel to keep us from driving into the water but she could not get my foot off the gas. We hit a rock wall doing 50-60mph the car flipped then rolled. I woke up after the accident confused when my girl told me what happened i ditched my stash and then blacked out again woke up in the hospital later with huge cuts all over my face and thorns. Now Im on keppra and thats it hopefully i will not have another seizure. But so far iv been having the seizure about once a year hopefully i wont have any more with keppra only time will tell.

19. keppra can often cause rage.....
    it is one of the drugs i am on now....
    the weed helps with this tremendously!
    i have taken to eddibles....cus alittle goes along way!
    you find yourself getting mad over something.....really mad!:mad:
    and you have every reason to be mad about it....
    but no reason to be as mad as you are getting......
    that would be keppra.....

i have been on most of the seizure meds they make.....:(
    dont be disappointed if you have to try more then one over time to find what works for you

i would fight the cops and EMTS and everyone in the ER....durring the complex partial seizures...i am up and moving and walking and talking...but i am blacked out....someone elts is in the drivers seat.....

and that person....is not nice to people with flashing lights who want to take me away!:eek:

it has been a hell of a ride!!!!!!;):smoke:

i really hope the keppra works out for you.....!
    if not....dont be afraid to talk to your doc!
    and go read up on keppra!!!!
    always read up on all this shit for yourself!!!!

when i go to the neurologist....
    and they tell me test results.....

i tell them what those results mean.....;):smoke:

Keppra Side Effects | Drugs.com