mixing coco and compost?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by bmeat, Jan 29, 2013.

1. I think so, and I think peat kind of compresses with time also. Im actually making my first run with peat moss, pro mix, because they were out of my normal stuff so Ill know all about it in a few months.

Another way to go is a coco peat moss mix, like Sunshine Adavnced #4 which also has perilite in it. Ive used it a lot in the past with fantastic results and very little issues.

2. Are you going to use feminized seeds?

3. Peat retains water longer, compresses more, and can have wild PH swings. Go with coco you won't be disappointed. :smoking:

4. thanks, i might give it a go! i found a pure coco product, and then a mixed coco and peat product.

the coco/peat product also has some pumice and perlite in it, but this is probably becuase peat compresses im guessing?

which should i go with?

5. Do a 50/50 mix and correct the ph value as peat is acidic, 3.5.- 4.5 if i remember correctly if it is lower than 3.0 it should not be used.
    Add in your aeration material.
    Plus there are different grades of finess of coir.
    I think that over watering can be a problem to start with if it,s not free draining
    and the roots will not get a good establishment if you water frequently in the start. A little Phosspherous and higher nitrogen to start off the roots and veg.

6. Does anybody believe in raising the .ph to 5.8 in wk 5 flower or do you think leaving it at 5.5 is best!?