Mite Resistant Strains

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by mjmama25, Aug 17, 2013.

1. #1 mjmama25, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013
    Hi everyone. Where I live, spider mites are a serious problem. I've been taking notes from my own grows and asking around to find out what are the most mite resistant strains. These are strains that can be right next to an infested plant and the mites won't touch it. Of course nothing is fool proof in growing, but these strains have a better chance than most.

Blueberry
    Master Kush
    Bubba Kush
    Pineapple Kush
    Grape Ape
    Green Crack
    Casey Jones
    Sour Strawberry Kush
    Cherry Pie
    Cherry Kush
    Girl Scout Cookies
    Detroit Badass

Edit - Member Recommended Strains (thanks guys!)

Skywalker
    Mango
    LA Woman
    Sweet Tia

Does anyone have any other strains they can recommend for the list? I want this to be a reference for other growers, and for myself in the future. Thanks!

2. 2 of the nasties insects all packed into one. I'd move.

Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. La woman, skywalker and mango are doing well for me. Stay away from cheese and sour d.

4. La woman, skywalker and mango are doing well for me. Stay away from cheese and sour d.

5. Cookies is the shit it does really well with nutes never showed any signs of burning or deficiency its also a camel I lost a few days watering mid summer never got dehydrated and I'm battling mites as well they leave it alone for the most part I'm hoping to find some fem seeds online for future grows depending on the yield at the end of the year Skywalker is a strain I'm looking into for next season if you can give me a run down on it that'd be great

”Hard work, dedication”-Floyd Mayweather Jr.

6. Sweet. I have an LA Woman seed sitting in my stock. Sour D, most OG's, and Blue Dream have been the worst strains I've grown for mite resistance.

7. I'm glad you agree on the cookies. I started a sky walker seed this season, but it grew to about 2 inches and randomly died. Must have been a dud seed. I'll probably give it another try though if you recommend the strain.

8. #8 Shifty007, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2013
    Mjmama do you treat for them during flower and if so with what? I'm using insecticide soap atm but rdy to quit. I'm a good 2 weeks or more into flowering. They don't have any webs built or anything so its not really an infestation just a nuisance at this point but I don't wanna lose buds at the end.

9. And leave northern California not a chance

10. Had a huge mite infestation indoors this year, still recovering but for some reason none of the mites really congregated on my Sweet tai from sweet seeds. It was in the middle of the room to so they had access to it, its as if they chose to leave it alone more so.

11. That's good you don't have any webbing yet. In my experience, if they get bad enough to web, you're screwed! I do spray during flower, but only for the first few weeks. When they start getting dense buds I won't spray anything unless I have to. Neem has worked best for me so far, but I'm still looking for what really is the "best".. My mites seem to laugh at pyrethrin.  It probably depends on the mites in your garden and what they've built immunities too. I've had the safer brand insect killer recommended to me for use in flowering (not to be confused with the safer caterpillar killer). I've also had spinosad recommended, but I don't know how late you can use it in flowering. I'll probably give both a try since mites have been my arch nemesis since I started growing. My location is just littered with them. No matter how much I kill them off, they creep back in from the surrounding properties.

12. Thanks. That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

13. no problem, im guessing it has something to do with the turpenes in the plant, the smell may deter them. Im curious if anyone has info on anything such as this.

14. sour d was the beginning of my mites this year, they jumped over on the blue dreams after i chopped sour d out of desperation.. and then hit the gods gift before i got nasty with the sprays.. 2 gsc's unhit, 3 casey jones unhit, 2 nl's unhit, og kush good, blueberry good, 2 bbhb's good, a tiny on my deadhead and purple crack.. I dont understand yet why some plants and not others.. 

15. It's the smell that attracts them. All you can do is fight back. I planted a few garlic this year and only grew 3. I forgot where they where planted. Next year ill mark where to water. The smell of garlic drives mites away. There are a few other plants that also help.

16. Lol this kind of makes me wonder if there is any rhyme or reason to infestation considering of my outdoor plants that are all close together sweet Thai is the only one with mite issues and the one I was referring too earlier in the thread.

17. I'm in the closing stages of week two and I've been spraying my plants with neem how long is to long to keep doing that I've got mixed reviews some say don't at all in flower some say up until the final flush...I have no webbing on my babies either but you can see bite marks on some leaves when I pull them off and the white spots

18. Same boat brother turns out I have more aphids than spider mites. Very few mites if any. I'm using insecticide soap 3 weeks in and its helping a lot although it is damaging some pistils. I'm just gonna try to keep em at bay not eradicate them until harvest. Good luck.

19. Yeah I figure if they don't get completely out of hand and start spinning webs then ill be fine crossing my fingers until harvest even with mite resistant strains its still a bitch keeping them away