Mistake with rockwool first hydro grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Biffer, May 17, 2009.

1. Ok i got some nice fem seeds started to germinate them in tissue roots poped out the seeds after 1/2 days so stuck my 3 inch rockwool cubes into 5.8 ph water gave them shake and put half centermeter hole to place the seeds.Yet i didnt realise they should have gone into 1 inch blocks before going into the 3inch cubes yes daft i am.Now im stuck with no root mass in the 3 inch block any ideas what i should do. Ive got a nft system set up ready to transfer the plants in but with hardly any rootmass i dont really know what to do.My plants are still in the propergator and im debating wether to stick them into the Nft system with the 600w light about 7ft/8ft above the plants.
    Any advice would be very greatfull this is my first grow with hydroponics nft with barneys fem lsd. Thanks

2. if you can be certain the roots have not traveled far perhaps cut some rockwool away...bottom if you can
    or if the thought of that makes you queasy, maybe once a day or every other day dip the cube in some water, only 1/4 or so, so the roots want to try and strive to escape
    don't overwater though...good luck!

3. thanks for the reply.yeah we do have root come out the bottom of the rockwool im just concerned about the plant it just looks so week with such a long stem

4. if your lights are 6-7 feet away, that could explain long weak stems...
    i right now have sprouts coming out of my rockwool, and i'll be putting my sprouts under a 1000w (that's all i have), and it was reccomended that i have my light about 3-4 above the tips.
    yes, you can harm your sprouts having a high powered light too close, but i (and this is my unprofessional opinion) would think 3 ft would be far enough...
    are your seeds sprouting out of the top of the rockwool? with roots coming out the bottom of the cube (and going through 3 inches at that!) it sounds like a healthy growing seed/seedling.
    how long have they been in the rockwool? sometimes it might take a few days to sprout out of the top
    did you cover your seed with a chunk of rockwool? when i covered mine, i simply made myself a small small, thin "sheet" of rockwool and layed it over the top...help promote darkness and keep in moisture a little bit...
    are you keeping your rockwool in a humid environment? i have mine in a 3x duct taped tupperware container (3x duct tape keeps light out well) i then put a tupperware container of the same size upside down on top (no duct tape, my seeds are starting to rise from the rockwool, so i want some light to get in...the contraption is NOT yet under high powered light, just sitting in the kitchen)...take your spray bottle and mist the inside of the top container to promote humidity. you don't want water pooling where your rockwool is sitting...