Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Mississippi MMJ and Schools

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Storm Crow, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Considering Mississippi's "less than enlightened" attitude on several subjects in the past, I was quite pleasantly surprised by this article. I am hoping that the reporter made an error, cannabis can only be recommended, not "prescribed"! If the law reads "prescribed", this law means nothing until cannabis is removed from Schedule 1. And how will this affect federal school funding?

Children are eligible for medical marijuana in MS. Can students take it at school? (news – 2022)
    https://www.sunherald.com/news/health/article260645452.html#storylink=mainstage_lead

Schools may no longer technically be drug-free zones once medical cannabis is available in Mississippi.

The law allows for minors who suffer from debilitating conditions to use medical cannabis, provided a parent or guardian gives permission and a registered osteopathic doctor prescribes it.

The law also provides for use of the medical pot treatment in schools and daycares.

“Facilities such as schools, child care facilities and temporary care providers shall be allowed to administer medical cannabis in the same manner as with medical prescriptions,” it states.

While counties can opt out of the use of medical marijuana, school districts do not have that option. If the school is in a county that permits the use of medical cannabis, the school is required to make reasonable accommodations for students who need the prescribed medicine during school hours.

“Debilitating” may seem synonymous with “bedridden,” but the exhaustive list of approved conditions covers a much larger range of suffering patients. For example, students with ulcerative colitis or post traumatic stress disorder may have their bad days, but will often brave discomfort to be among classmates.

One condition common on the Coast is autism spectrum disorder. According to the Center for Disease Control, about 1 in 44 of 8-year-old children were identified with ASD in 2018. Those with ASD who suffer from seizures or gastrointestinal problems might benefit from medical cannabis, but it isn’t likely to help or be prescribed to everyone with the disorder. The decision to prescribe medical cannabis to a minor belongs to the parent or guardian and physician. (snipped- goes on to a longish list qualifying conditions)

Granny

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. i dont know if i like this report or not
    just seems to me there are using the poorest state in america to make a example of,sure that probally dont mean much.
    but it does if you have scratched to survive all your life
    schools day cares
    ya thats just a step into the door of other things going wrong in my opinion only
    i guess if it would have been written in other text i would thought difrent
    but first you use schools ,day care and kids ,im not down with that and sends the red flag up in my world
    this flower is a choice for us that enjoy and those that need , this is a example of stupidness
    kids are gonna go that extra step to rebel it in some way ,we they always have and continue too
    like i say my opinion,but red flag all over this

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. To bad they didn't have this 40 yrs ago, I woulda stayed in school! Haa

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1