Missing periods & weed

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by moonlightmile, Jul 11, 2012.

1. I've skipped my last three periods. I am not pregnant, I haven't had sex in like two years so yeah we can rule that out. I have been under a fair amount of stress, but I feel like I'm always under stress so I don't know how much of a difference that makes.

However, in the past three months I have drastically increased my marijuana intake. Is there a possibility that it's caused me to quit having periods?

2. This is copied from Allexperts.com
    Drug use, in general, can cause menstrual cycle irregularities. They have found that chronic conditions like starvation, excessive exercise, depression, psychological stress, marijuana use, Crohn's disease, cystic fibrosis, sickle cell disease, thalassemia major, HIV infection, renal disease, thyroid disease, diabetes mellitus, and anorexia nervosa can cause something called hypogonadotropic hypogonadism and result in amenorrhea (the absence of periods). Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism involves a slowing of GnRH (gonadotropin-releasing hormone) released from the hypothalamus in the brain caused by multifactoral components of decreased body fat and increased beta endorphins. Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism is essentially ovarian failure. So put simply, yes, marijuana can and often does cause the absence of periods because it causes the ovaries to stop working properly.

Hope this helps.

3. Uh, so speaking from experience - no that's not actually possible. I've never had anything go wrong in my entire life with my cycle while smoking oz's in a month sometimes. At least in my body and through everyone I've ever talked to who is a woman in my life who smokes pot.

You should go see a doctor, it may be linked to other issues in your body. You may be deficient in vitamins, etc. Weed doesn't stop the ovaries from working properly BY ITSELF, lol at the above poster... Wtf...

It's gotta' be a combination of issues...

4. My periods have never been more regular and pain free since I started smoking every day.

5. See a doctor.

6. Anything and everything under the sun can and will affect your cycle. Age, physical stress, mental stress, diet, exercise....it goes on and on....

However, not having your period for three full months could indicate a more serious underlying problem. You should go to the doctor.

7. My wife has gone over a year without a period in the past. She's been fighting PCOS and the many struggles that come along with that. Not saying you have PCOS, because there are many variable from one women to the next, and ultimately, none of us can tell you what exactly is causing it...this is something you are going to want to ask a doctor about.

8. I went as many as 10 months without a period before I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome. I would not say OP has PCOS simply on the fact that the irregularity is recent. I have never been regular without birth control. However, I would definitely see a doc soon because if a woman does not shed her lining (have a period) it will increase the risk of cancer significantly.

9. I can attest that marijuana does affect my cycle. I went from very little to no smoking to almost a gram every single day and I had no period for almost four months.
    If you want a natural way to induce your period, try Evening Primrose Oil three times daily for a several days and you should start spotting -- hopefully -- like I did. Everyone's body is different, so it may or may not affect you differently. Parsley tea is another safe option. Birth control pills are also a sure fire way, but that is a lifestyle choice.
    There is nothing wrong with discussing the issue with your doctor -- that's what we pay them for!
    Best of luck!

10. My gf has pcos n we workout out n such to fight what comes with it. How have you women helped fight the pcos? Have any of u women with pcos gt any kids? Just suggestions on the matter. Any help is appreciated

11. never been a regular weed smoker but I have had episodes of anxiety severe back problems due to old injury a lot of pain and finally I couldn't stand taking medication anymore and I got a medical card and have been using CBD oil it's like night and day I work in the medical field and I always advocate cannabis 4 people and I really hope that politicians stop being stupid keep being life altering medication from people that really need it,. Politicians try to make it seem like a bunch of stoners that are just trying to get high that's not the case of all the CBD oil that I use has no psychotropic effect