Miracle Grow. What's so bad?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by WeekendBalla, May 22, 2007.

1. can a plant be successfully grown in only miracle grow? or is this really a demon soil as ive heard?

2. Guess so depending on your definition of success. Yes you can start and harvest an MJ plant in MG soil but odds are you won't have the results that using a good soil would give you.

There are mediums (Fox Farm, Promix) that are much better and will give you a lot less problems during your grow.

3. time released ferts = bad

4. whhats the best soil for minimal additives needed to be placed during the grow, such as ferts and nutrients.

5. Most MG potting soil is supplemented with time-release fertilizer, which will burn the tender roots of a MJ sprout and can kill the plant. In particular a MH or HPS light can accelerate the rate at which the ferts dissolve, but it's still bad even in fluoro lighting.

You are best off to control your own ferts.

Get any organic potting soil that has no nutes in it. Pass on any product that says anything on the package about feeding the plants, time-released, added this or that.

6. i read other places that it works fine. and u just needa tweak some of the ferts and stuff.
    im nto that worried or that concerned. i just want to get a small grow. for personal use.

7. The best thing to do is like toasty biz said. Go get a all organic soil with no nutes or An XTREEMLY small amount and mix in your blood meal , bone meal,perelite, fish emultion, and worm castings. Some use Bat Guano but I never can find it.

8. Wise words. Basically anything that's organic is good - so long as the packagers haven't added anything to it. Miracle Grow has tons of added ferts (a good amount of which are time-release)... Young plants can't take high levels of nutrients and get burned easily...

If you want some good results... Get any organic, non-supplemented soil -- and toss in some night-crawlers. They'll add nutrients, slowly, and will also aerate your soil. Why PAY for worm castings when you can get it for free?

9. Yeah thats great soil, but you might want to wait till the 2nd or 3rd week to use it.

10. Is it true that people have found bugs in MG?

11. Just remember that "organic" doesn't mean no nutes have been added. In fact there are organic fertilizers, or building-block nutrients derived from organic sources, that could be added to organic soil and be labeled "organic" all over the bag, but it can kill your plant just as bad.

12. I've heard bad things about miracle grow potting soil, but I recently found some MG fertalizer, and i've been using that for a couple of days, and the plants seem to like it.

13. Yeah, that terra pro is pretty hot. I would wait till the third week to use it.

Oops, I already said that.

14. Im using the MG organic soil at the moment. seems to be doing fine...

What do people recommend as soil as opposed to MG?

After a few weeks Ive also started to use MG tomato nutrients.

15. Yeah... They can use pellitized chicken manure for example... Great source of time-release N... Always gotta check the bags to make sure there's no time-release anything in 'em...

As for the post about what else to use instead of MG... Shultz makes some good soils, as does FoxFarm...

16. Already asked and answered in this thread:

17. Currently using Fox Farms Light Warrior for seedlings and Ocean Forest between 2nd and 3rd week. Love It!