Miracle Grow Organic Choice Garden Soil anyone?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by rizzo30, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Does anyone have any experience with this type of soil? I picked up a bag of it from Lowes and it claims that it has natural fertilizers and compost in it. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this stuff. I am new to this and I just sprouted my first seed a couple of days ago. A little tiny white sprout shot out of it today :D and so I decided to plant that seed seed in some of that soil today which is in a 12 oz plastic cup with holes drilled in the bottom. I am just hoping that this stuff will work out since I am still learning about this hobby.

2. Don't use it! I'm a beginner at this but I've read alot and they all say don't do it. I did. I just paid 25bucks for shipping and handling for two bags of Roots organic soil. I got em from htgsuppy.com. The bags each cost $17plus s&h. If u can't afford the shipping research the indredients. Then try ace hardware or whatever else is near you.

3. Do you just want regular lawn soil then? I saw that stuff at walmart and it was very cheap. I planted my seed in this miracle grow soil about five hours ago. I guess I don't know if its too late to switch to something different, I can maybe give it a shot.

4. I have an Ace that is about a block away. We have about every store you could think of, but I may give Ace a try.

5. Dude my two plants are in preflowering and healthy in organic choice. I added some broke up lava rocks and perlite though. Next time ill add wormcastings though for alil nitrogen and benefits it adds to soil.

6. Thats good to know, thanks. I looked around at walmart, Lowes and Ace, and I could not find anything better than this organic choice. I did add perlite to it now though so its now 50 perlite/50 organic choice. I seen other plants growing right out of the bags so hopefully MJ can grow from it too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yea mine doin well in like 3 gallon pots in the organic choice potting mix 10% lava rocks 30% perlite 60%pottingmix

8. don't put seedlings in pre-ferted anything. it is very likely they will get burnt! the cotyledons provide all they need for the first couple weeks.

9. [quote name='Richard and Sal']Don't use it! I'm a beginner at this but I've read alot and they all say don't do it. I did. I just paid 25bucks for shipping and handling for two bags of Roots organic soil. I got em from htgsuppy.com. The bags each cost $17plus s&h. If u can't afford the shipping research the indredients. Then try ace hardware or whatever else is near

Don't give advice if you dont know what your talking about!!!
    Miracle grow organic is excellent for growing, the organic doesnt have any time release fertalizer. I got 6 plants outdoors in it and they are thriving. I just finshed a grow in it plants and bud were awesome. Had 2 in fox farm and 2 in organic. You could not tell the difference in plant vigour or yeild.

10. 70's is right about mg. i'm not a user of it, but someone here did a test grow with some mg. it worked well, but it takes some getting used to.

• Like Like x 1
  11. #11 Richard and Sal, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    My bad of MG organic choice says that it feeds continously for up to two months. Doesn't this mean it has time released nutrients? I was just trying to be helpful and pass along info I've read and my own experiance with the product. I also stated that I am new at this too. Sorry if you don't like that.

12. I'm using mg moisture control and plants doing fine man mine feeds up to 6 months but I picked out a lot of lil golden balls

13. Mine doesn't have any time release in it..... 70's did you use pots or in ground?

14. I have been using smart pots. With smart pots you do have to water mor freqently.
    When it says it feeds for 2 months is because it has organic fertelizer( chicken manure)mixed in with it. I'll post some pics of 6 plants i have growing in it as soon as i get my camera back from my son lol. Havent feed them any nutes yet and there about 40" tall.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I dont care what kind of ferts it has the point is that it has ferts in it seedlings dont need any ferts at all for the first 2 weeks of there life none at all u can transplant ur seedlings into it after they r old enough an it will wrk gr8 but its no good for sprouts

16. Well^^^ my plants in miracle grow with nitrogen its only 6 days old n its seeming to do fine I just dnt water much because it has those time released nitrogen balls

17. I am using that miracle grow organic which I don't think has any time release fertilizers. Its in a plastic cup right now and a green thing popped up out of the ground and it seems to be doing good. I did mix a good amount of perlite in it though and so far everything is good.

18. i dont like pre-ferted mediums. i like to know what they're eating! if you're using pre-ferted, you need to feed on same schedule, but at a reduced rate to avoid burning.

19. No worries, you were trying to be helpful and this is a confusing subject.

MG Organic is different from the other MG soils. The other MG soils have time-released ferts in them, little balls of chemical fertilizer designed to dissolve slowly over weeks or months with each watering. That's bad for MJ growing for several reasons: it means the soil is nuted from the very beginning, which can kill baby sprouts; the nutes are too strong for any part of an MJ grow really; they are cheap chemical ferts so aren't as easy for the plants to uptake; they are one type of fert (veg) and so aren't great for flowering; they are a nute balance that you may not want and cannot control; and, you can't flush them out (in fact, flushing could make it worse because the excess water will only dissolve even more of the nutes). MG actually adds these time-released ferts not just to their standard soils but also to other products like their sphagnum moss and even their perlite.

MG Organic does not have these time-released chemical ferts. But, Miracle Gro never can leave well enough alone, so even in their Organic soil they add organic compounds to increase the nutrient level.

It's virtually impossible for organic or semi-organic soil to not include some nutrients, that's a lot of what the organic matter is. So, in effect, "organic" = "pre-ferted" to an extent. Take Fox Farm Ocean Forest, probably the single most popular ready-mix soil among MJ growers -- it has worm castings, bat guano, fish meal, seaweed, sphagnum moss, and composted forest floor mulch, all of which contain some nutrients. Plants can handle organic nutes much better, though (or more specifically, the symbiotic fungal colonies that live on your plant's root system and break down the nutes for them can handle organics much better). So generally not much to worry about with organic nutes. However, MG adds concentrates of these organic nute compounds to their organic soil, so it comes out a little stronger than you might expect.

Bottom line is that you can use it but there are better choices, including mixing your own.

20. Finally!!!! A place that feelz like home!!!!! Imma 1st timer and im really dyin2kno.....how exactly do u get tha water@ and from with tha closet tent? None ov tha complete 1s i see arent sayin a thing!!! please help