miracal gro organic

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ten footers, Jan 11, 2010.

1. i am setting up shit for my first grow and i am about to order my seeds in the next 24 hours, i am currently germinating about 5 bagseeds before hand just so i can practice whatever i need to do on the plants i paid for about a week or two in advance.

Sorry for all the back story heres my real question:

i am going to get fox farm's ocean forest or w/e or maybe some light warrior as my soil, but its much cheaper online so it wont be here in time for my bagseed seedlings, is it ok to start them out in miracal grow organic for the first week or 2, its a 20-10-10 or something like that, im not sure exactly but i do know for sure the N was > than the pk

2. I'm using it right now for seedlings. Seems like a decent soil, but I didn't have much experience with it.

3. dont stay in it long that shit is toxic

4. My plants are going into new soil when I transplant soon, MG organic has time release ferts that suck...I too had to use this shit to get my seeds in something.

5. Just make sure you also have something to combat fungus gnats. Alot of others have gotten them in MG organic and the one bag I've used had them as well. Myself, I'll never use it again and I have almost a full bag to get rid of.

6. 20-10-10 is the recipe for seedlings if you want them cooked "well done"

Question. Assuming your grow environment is all set up and the kinks worked out seeing as you are germing so,....how on Earth could you forget the soil?????

7. lol everythnig isnt really set up, im just sort of winging it and decided to germ these bagseeds, i have real seeds coming online that wont get here until everything is perfect and i wont germ them until, like i said, evrythings perfect, but im trying to do a quick crash course with these seeds before hand so i dont mess everything up with the good ones.

8. how do you get rid of them?

9. Yellow sticky traps to catch the adults (fly paper). Cover the top of your pots with a thin layer of sand to keep the adults from getting in the soil as easy (they can still get in your drainage holes). Put potato slices on top of your soil to see when eggs hatch since the larvae will feed on the potatoes. Once you know you have larvae then water with mosquito dunks or gnatrol. You can also let your soil dry out completely which keeps the larvae from eating the moist organic material in your soil, but can also drive them to eat your roots.

Or you can spend a few extra bucks on better soil instead. I'm one of the more inexperienced around here but that's one of the lessons I have learned the hard way.

10. Is this what we are talking about here??

[​IMG]

11. yea it is

12. That stuff is pretty harsh on plants. Expect to see nute burn in your plants by the 4th node. My method of using that stuff is to keep watering it daily, until plant starts showing signs of nitrogen deficiency. You would probably be better off starting with plain dirt (forget what its called at the tool stores, but it has no fertilizer in it).

Note: Once out of the nute burn phase, this soil seems pretty good.

13. Is this stuff really THAT bad..

I have small but decent sized plants, only about 11 days old, I plan to translplant at 14 or maybe an extra week on that, if they dont get too big, and I was going to put them into this mixed with perlite.

14. im using that exact soil with decent results but dudes dead on about the nats though.. ive used it from day one with some burn my 3 week into veg but it wasnt that bad. i flushed it and she recovered quick

ima use fox farm for my clones and do a comparison

15. #15 nod43, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2010
    ive been using MG organic for my first grow, and im about 1 week into flowering and i have yet to have any problems with my soil. ive even been feeding my plants the fox farm nutriets and they have grown strong and healthy. As far as i know, there are no time release nutes in the soil otherwise with the added nutes ive been feeding them, my plants would have shown signs of nute burn somewhere. my bag did come with nats, but most of them died off within the first week (i left the bag outside in -10 degree weather). but i really cant complain since i only paid a couple bucks for it, rather then dishing out 20 bones for some fox farm soil.

dunno why everyones got a beef with miracle grows organic soil, because as a beginner its worked perfectly fine for me.

16. lol so basically im not sure what the verdict was on this but it is probably best to stay away from it. I am going to use it for the first week or two of my bagseed seedlings but with my ordered ones im going to do it right and shell out the extra money for the legitimate product.

quality my friends, quality.

thanks everyone for your responses

17. Hey just b extra careful with that stuff man. I diid what ur talkin about, was just gonna keep mt seedlings in it until I got some ffof. But they were doin so good I left them alone. I had the knats but it wasn't to bad but what I found out to late ( after a plant died) was that mg gets hard as a rock in some places. I ended up having to carefully use an ice pick to loosen up the rock like chunks that were about 2" deep in the pots. It took about a week to recover and my yeild was diminished a bit. Without a doubt I will never use this shit again!!! But u should b fine for just seedlings, just don't let early sucess cloud your judgement, that stuff will eventually kill your plants!! Keep it Green

18. yes it is really that bad i thought the same as you and wasted my money on this shit and ended up replanting

19. MG organic is not the best choice but is OK to start with, first of all i would leave the bags out where they can freeze so that gnats aren't an issue. I wouldn't use it any longer than you have to TRUST ME..it contains the nutes as everyone has said and if you use it with other nutes in your water your going to burn them, they will get droopy, feel dry and look horrible, check out my blog to see the effects of it..I do suggest mixing with perilite about a 60/40 mix(60 perilite 40 soil) and watering with only water until you get the fox farms which has enough nutes for atleast three weeks alone.

You dont want to go any further than you have to with the MG Organic believe me, been there done that!!

Check out the blog and see for yourself what it will do!!

20. just read your journal and there was no direct mention of "omg nute burn from the MG soil"

but either way nice journal, and ill be sure to stay away from it other than until i can get my FFOF.

one more q are you a guy or a girl in your journal people called you both and you never really said.