MIP Advice

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by V0ltaire, Sep 18, 2011.

1. I've been a long time lurker, but have never had a reason to make a topic until now.. While visiting Mizzou with some buddies I got an MIP. The whole situation was ridiculous but I won't get into that right now. What I am wondering is whether I should get a lawyer to reduce the charge or just pay the fine? This is my first trouble with police other than speeding tickets.

Also, they wrote the tickets on the spot, will anything be mailed to my house? I go to Missouri State University but the address on my license is my parents' house in St. Louis. My parents don't mind that I drink but said I would get cut off if I got in trouble with the law, and right now they pay the half of my tuition that isn't covered by my scholarship.

Any advice/insight would be much appreciated, especially with whether I should get a lawyer or not.

2. Your parents will start getting letters from various lawyers willing to represent you in your case. This is standard with any sort of criminal charge. The letters go to the address on your ID, as once you catch a charge it is public information.

3. So should I get a lawyer or no?

4. I think it's pretty pointless. It's a cut and dry case. You're a minor, you were drinking, and you got caught. You'll go to court, plead guilty, and they'll probably give you the option of doing a diversion program, which will most likely be probation for 6 months to a year, some drug and alcohol classes, and fines, after which it will be removed from your record.

5. Lawyer is pointless. And from my MIP while in college nothing got sent to my parents' home address unless they make you goto counseling.

6. Alright guys, thanks for the help. Hopefully this doesn't cost me too much.

7. Stuff will get sent to where your local address is there usually. And just do the classes. Always some interesting people.