minor brown spots and purple stems

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by ndz4shz, Mar 22, 2011.

1. So I'm almost at week 3weeks and have developed purple stems and minor brown spots. I've looked at other threads and didn't seem to find a definitive answer.
    I'm on just under half strength fox farm hydro grow big and big bloom, ppm about 675. pH steady at 5.8-6.0. temp constant low 70's. lighting 125w cfl about 5-6 above. I just did a flush with florakleen and am about to get back on nutes and regular water schedule which is every 4 hours for 15 minutes. i think it might be a nitrogen deficiency but I just don't know. Please, any help I'll and send you 1million dollars in monopoly money!!
    Here are some pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dont know about the brown spot but my stems did that when I over watered and over fertilized...I backed off the nutes and some green showed through and they started getting bigger again

3. thanks for the reply, they have been growing just fine. well, the leaves have been getting bigger and more sets continue to grow but they are very short. about 4-5 inches tall, which i thought was normal for this stage. I just did a flush and added nutes to about 750 ppm. do you think i should shorten the length of watering down from 15 minutes or maybe increase the interval to more than 4 hours between watering? i'm open to suggestions

4. What kind of system is this? Drip or ?

5. Im waaaaaaaaaaay too new to this to be giving you feeding and watering advice...Im in the flowering stage of my first grow and still learning shit everyday. I just noticed that your stems looked like mine did when I over watered and over fed.

6. It's a turbo garden ebb and flow, basically flood and drain

7. Ya, I got nothing on that. Im doing a rdwc. Im curious to see what the veterans say. Would like to avoid that on my next grow.

8. Oh, and the purple stems very well could be genetic..
    What strain??

Or they just something you picked up from commercial weed??

9. the strain in the pic is barneys farm tangerine dream, i'm also growing white diesel and bubblegummer and they both have the same purple in the stem but not as much. the white diesel looks completely healthy and the bubblegummer is starting to show signs similar to the tangdream. all seeds came from attitude seed bank

10. Well phosphorus deficiencies will show in older leaves first. The leaves usually will turn a deep green and will show brown or even purple spots.

Why your choice of nutes??
    Are you adding any micro nutes or just the Fox grow and Bloom???
    How are you mixing them, what ratio??

Because you could have the start of a phosphorus deficiency.. :confused:

11. http://www.hydroponicsdictionary.com/flash/deficient.swf
    Click on the P

Kind of what you're showing.......
    I just use GH Maxiegro and change it every 2 weeks for vegging..
    The hell with all that mixing and shit the clones are only in there for 4 weeks...

But my next batch will be in liquid as opposed to the power..

12. The nutes were recommended by very experienced growers that taught me quite a bit. They use Advanced Nutrients but told me fox farm is great for starters. no micro nutes. i'm sticking to the fox farm schedule you can find on their website. Mix? I add them separately as i'm filling my res so they mix well. my res is 25 gal, 15tsp grow big and 10tsp big bloom. this kept my ppm at about 600-650. I maintained those levels for 2 weeks
    just tonight I did a flush and put in 39tsp grow big and 19tsp big bloom, bringing my ppm to 750-765.
    How do i correct the deficiency if that's what my problem is?

13. Nice site, good help with diagnosis. you just use one simple bottle of nutes? for the entire veg cycle? seems easier than what i'm doing. maybe i'll switch. what should I do about the deficiency though? should i add more nute?

14. Ya, Maxigrow and Maxibloom and Big Bud..
    and change every two weeks..
    Well sometimes 10 days depending on my schedule..
    Thats it...

I tried to save some money and went with the dry, but will be going back to the liquid next batch..

15. Again I'm using clones and they are only in there for 4 weeks, just enough to get a foot tall, give or take a cpl inches.. So they get their fresh batch and I change once and they done in veg room...

I also keep them on maxigro for the first week of flowering, because I want them to still grow, thats when they do all their stretching.. So I get main stem and at least 4 good sides with healthy nuggs..
    giving them at least a foot of space apart which is kind of to close...

16. The fox was recommended by a guy who is a botanist, he said its good because its organic. he said GH was a little to chemically.
    Do you think adding more nute would fix the deficiency? Maybe i'm too low for their stage of growth. the fox farm schedule recommends just over 1000ppm. i kept it low to avoid burn. i'm a little lost.

17. Well everyone has their own methods which work for them..
    He is right GH is a little chemically is you do not flush.. You do not have to run the finial flush as long to get the nutes out of the plant..

Most flush for 7 days, I flush 10 to 12 days before harvest..
    All the older fan leaves are yellow and a large number of the smaller leaf growth is yellow if not yellowing too..

Again everyone does their own thing..

I run my girls as slaves, to where someone else may be all genital with them.. LOL

18. so... i should add nute to fix deficiency? I really don't know

19. You should follow what fox farm was recommended for the ppm..
    1000ppm is fine...

The biggest thing follow how often they suggest changing out the res with new..

20. What a difference a day makes. I upped the nutes to 1000ppm and cut my fill and drain time by 5 minutes and my girls are already looking better. can't wait to see how they look in a week. Thanks for all the help.