Minimum humidity during flowering

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by somenewgrower, Feb 26, 2019.

1. I know that you are supposed to lower the humidity during the flowering stage but is it possible for the air to be too dry? It seems like most resources recommend a RH of 60-70 for seedlings, 50-60 during veg, 40-50 during early flowering and 30-40 during late flowering. However, is it dangerous for the plant if the RH is below 30 during the late flowering stage? The air gets very dry in the Midwest and I have seen the RH approach the low 20's. Should I invest in a humidifier?

2. No, i wouldn't worry. Save your money mate.
    I have often gone through the entire flowering process @ 20 - 30% Humidity.... No issues and no ill effects.
    Not ideal but it wont slow you down too much.
    Good luck pal.

• Like Like x 1
  3. We get down into single numbers in Southern California and my plants never miss a beat.
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
  4. I deal with this also. The plants should raise the humidity a little.... depending on how large your grow space is, that may be all you need. If I were you I would be more concerned about drying. You need humidity to be between 55 and 60% when drying otherwise your bud will dry way too fast. Temps need to be in low 60’s.

In flowering, I try to keep the humidity from dipping below 30%. When it gets that low, it means the plants will feed more from their roots instead of through transpiration through the leaves.

“Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere.” — someone awesome

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Agreed - Drying wlll be your issue.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yep, my humidity has been 20-40% my entire grow and no real issues.

You definitely want that RH when drying as others have stated or your bud will dry too fast. Last thing you want is all your hard work and patience to be ruined in the drying process!

So you may as well buy a humidifier and use it during ur grow and you'll have it ready for harvest!

• Like Like x 1
  7. I’d buy a small humidifier for $25-$30. It will hold about a gallon and you’ll have to fill it every day with distilled water, but it’s only for 7-10 days while you’re drying. That’s what I do.

“Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere.” — someone awesome

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I’m about to start harvesting some of my autos, i have. 2x2x4 tent that I was going to use for a drying tent. I’m going to get a 4” inline/carbon filter combo.. should i put a humidifier in the tent with the buds while drying or outside and let the humid air pull into the tent? Also do you think the exhaust fan would be enough air movement or should I have actual fans inside the tent as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. #9 CannabisEh, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Great question. I would try outside the tent first. Do a 24hr dry run if possible and see what RH inside the tent is. Only reason I'd prefer this method is because no direct moisture or vapor would be touching your drying flowers. If it doesn't raise RH enough then it's gotta go inside. Put it in a corner so it's not blowing moisture directly onto your buds.

I'll probably be testing this out myself as well before I harvest. My tent is in my basement so it's a large open area. I would need a large humidifier that could increase RH in that space which would then increase RH in my tent.

You'll probably want a small osciallting fan on lowest setting inside even with the inline fan. Just don't have it blowing directly on your flowers.

This is only my 3rd indoor grow so I'm sure someone out there probably has better advice but that's my opinion lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Awesome. I think I’m going to set up my drying tent in my closet so I can control the humidity better. My master closet has ac vents so I’ll be able to keep the temps low as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. Sound advice.