Minimum height for MH and HPS lighting?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by McKennahead, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Hey I'm doing a small stealthy grow in a crawlspace. Its four feet tall. Is that too short MH or HPS lighting? Will the plants burn?

2. i think you could pull it off if you have a cooltube (that way you can get the lights much closer to the plants)

either get clones or go 12/12 from seed in 2 liter bottles

4 feet is definitely cutting it close so you might want to look into low stress training as a better option....there are tutorials everywhere but ive never done it personally

hope this helps and good luck

3. #3 weshawk5, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2010
    With good ventilation an HID light would not be a problem at all in that space. I would not go 12/12 from the start...I would plan on vegging to about 6" or so and then finishing them under 2 feet. A properly cooled 250watt hps light could prob sit about 8-10in from your plant with no problems later on in your grow. There are a lot of grow methods that allow you to keep your plants shorter (low stress training, scrog)...just do some solid research before you just "jump into it" and the end result will be much more favorable.

Peace

4. I've done plenty of research but just don't know how hot the lamps actually get. I knew 16-20 inches away from the plants but I was hoping I could get some feedback from people who have done HID grows in short grow boxes.

I was also thinking of doing flouros but I cant fit enough of them in the box to provide enough light. I could do flouros and supplement with CFLs I guess.

I think I'm going to go with a cool tube and I've been planning on scrogging it. Does anyone want to weigh in on a cooltube's cooling abilities?

Is 400 watts too much? I'd like to buy a 400 system once instead of buying a 250 system and then having to upgrade when I expand the grow. But if its too hot, even with a cool tube, then I guess I'd have to go a different route. Thanks for the help!

5. A 400watt cooltube setup wil give you plenty of room to grow in 4 foot height.Plan on venting the cooltube exhaust out of the area to avoid overheating your growspace.A scrog works very well in this setup.

6. Awesome. Thanks y'all. The cooltube has put my fears to rest. I'll let you know how it all turns out