Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Minimum decarb oven temperature?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by hellomoto1985, Oct 21, 2012.

1. What is the minimum temperature at which I can decarb my weed so I can prep it for making oil/butter?

I know anything over 200F degrees probably bad, but my oven is kinda crappy and usually cooks hotter than the temperature I set it to. I want to avoid putting my weed in the oven at 200F and accidentally burning it all.

Also, although the process takes hours instead of minutes, wouldn't a food dehydrator do the same thing as cooking in an oven and potentially be better for the decarb process since it's a low/slow option?

2. The only success i've had decarbing was this method and it was done in 2-3 minutes im sure it will be debated, but i've tried everything and this is the only thing that worked for me

"THC vaporizes at about 380F. We want to heat the cannabis to convert THCA to THC, but keep the temperature under 380F. That is why 325F is used. Between four and five minutes your oven (and house) will start to smell very strong. This is the time to remove the cannabis from the oven."

• Winner Winner x 1

3. Δ-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
    Boiling point:157*C / 314.6 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Euphoriant, Analgesic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antiemetic

cannabidiol (CBD)
    Boiling point: 160-180*C / 320-356 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Anxiolytic, Analgesic, Antipsychotic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antispasmodic

Cannabinol (CBN)
    Boiling point: 185*C / 365 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: (Oxidation breakdown product) Sedative, Antibiotic

cannabichromene (CBC)
    Boiling point: 220*C / 428 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antifungal

Δ-8-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ-8-THC)
    Boiling point: 175-178*C / 347-352.4 degree Fahrenheit
    Properties: Resembles Δ-9-THC, Less psychoactive, More stable Antiemetic

4. #4 SexualKush, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2012
    can you post the source?
    Edit: I found sources that concur

maybe my success was because I pulled it early ( started to smell in 2-3 minutes when i pulled it ..i imagine my commercial oven could've been what saved it)

5. #5 chrisperezpz, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
    I have read your posts and belive you must have got the answer. Please share your views as I am facing same problem now. What temp is perfect?

6. #6 PsychedelicSam, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017

220F is the agreed upon temp by most truly knowledgeable people. Less is OK. More is not. Those temps that Skyscraper posted are accurate. In order for your reefer to retain as many of the active ingredients as possible. Heating it above 300 is degrading many of those compounds immediately. It should never be hot enough to cause it to smoke or turn brown (unless already brown). While people claim to get results from the higher temp decarb, what they really experience is the effects of the lower cannabinoids from the degradation. Those cannabinoids cause heavy body effects which some interpret as "psychoactive" but aren't. To retain all the psychoactive effects, 220 or lower is ideal. :)

Edit: There has been a lot of new info on decarb and thanks to personal lab tests, the time and temperature has changed. I'm editing this now since this thread has been resurrected and I want the correct data to be noted. Optimal decarb is 240°F for 40 minutes. :pimp:

7. So what temperature would you suggest to cook with?

8. #8 vckjzvnv37, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2013
    This is a very old post, will have a reply?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. 230f for 30 minutes will do nicely.

10. PsychadelicSam recently updated his opinion on decarbing after a few rounds of his own lab testing. You can find his thread here http://forum.grasscity.com/incredible-edible-herb/...

New info suggests the best decarb comes from 240 degrees (F) for 40 minutes.

11. #12 ShantiSena, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2015
  12. sorry i didin't want to over lhyper ink , i don't know why but aren't threads the point of reference
    here or is it just a place people promote thier product? I cane for the sciene not the thread read count
    yeah i get that a lot around here , i had my experiences touring with the Dead. (~);-} not a thread of evidence.

13. #15 Skunk_e_Bud, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2015
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' >
    but (the skinny 240 at 30 min for bud/keif/concentrates and 60 min for trim)

</blockquote>

I wonder why the trim takes so much longer?

14. ]
    </blockquote>I wonder why the trim takes so much longer?

15. So all I really have to decarb my trimmings is a small crock pot, I put my ground trimmings in some vodka in a mason jar, then put that in the water filled crock pot, but the water seems to be staying right at 160f, will this be warm enough to decarb the trimmings? From what I understand it happens naturally, and adding heat just speeds up the process, so will leaving it in the vodka for say 24 hours be enough to fully decarb? I'm planning on using it as a sublingual tincture for now.

16. You're supposed to decarb before you add the herb to the vodka. ;)

17. Lol, yea I know but I don't have an oven nor do I want to smell the place up, plus the recipe I read first said you can just add regular trim to alcohol, shake it every day for a month and you'll have green dragon, then doing more research I found the decarb before info. If I can't decarb it in alcohol that's OK I plan on evaporating it to rick Simpson oil, adding it to some glycerin and vaping it, or if anyone has any better ideas for my little concoction I'm all ears =)