Minimalism as a way of life?

Discussion in 'General' started by Aphone, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Hi, I was a member a long time ago, 2003. Thought I'd make a new account since I can't access my old account

Anyway, I'm in the process of trying to remove clutter in my life. Live with more contentment and in the moment. Also holding off any tech upgrades, especially if I haven't used what I have to its fullest.

Anyone in the same boat as.me?

2. I can dig it man. It's the best way to live in my opinion. There's thousands of articles on this blog that should help you out.

Archives : zenhabits

3. Nice find bro

4. I did this not too long ago as well. Basically reduced my life to 5-6 30 gallon Tupperware containers. Where one of them is full of the textbooks I need for school and all my schoolwork/research I've done that I definitely need to keep; and one is full of my SCUBA, spear fishing and sailing gear.

I basically went through my closet and if I hadn't used or worn something in 6 months I put it in a pile to be donated. Then I ended up feeling like 6 months was too long cause I was keeping stuff I knew I wasn't going to be using and cut it down to 3 months. Kinda liberating, but a little sad at the time cause I was getting rid of a lot of things - but now that I've done it I feel much better about the clutter in my life.

5. I want to be this way, but I often find myself constantly in battle with my husband and his want to spend money on everything he doesn't need and in some cases already has.

It drives me crazy that he is so wasteful. But I'm much happier than him, I don't need things or money, which upsets him because he can never buy me anything I "want" because I don't want anything. If he payed attention to what I spent my money on he would know I only want bud and fresh good food to eat for our family. So I'm pretty happy, if he really wanted to give me a gift he would buy my MJ for me! Haha

6. I tend to really think about and possibly over-analyze potential purchases before tossing money around. but because of that, I only have a few nice things that I use regularly. I don't have any extra "stuff," really. And if I do find something that makes me think, "When the fuck am I going to use this," I get rid of it.