Mini fridge grow I built.

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Midgetdog, Jun 14, 2020.

1. 20200614_134441.jpg So my wife told me I could grow in the basement. I wanted to do something small and inconspicuous. So over some carful thinking about size,exhaust, intake, location. I figured. A mini fridge. So I find this fridge at work (I work at ametal recycling place).
    20200614_134441.jpg so I started a build. I had a plan. Now I'm still waiting on a few parts to attach it to the back of the dryer vent. But the build seem simple. I used so far.
    1. 12v dc pc fan(it's a silent wings 3 I picked of from a garage sale for $1)
    2. Voltage controlled DC power supply (the fan came with a 3pin to SATA. I cut one of the pig tails and hard wired it to DC control)
    3. A 90 for the back 4".
    4. I'm getting and inline 4" duct fan (ac power) from Amazon for $25
    5. Light is from Amazon. Was $30 or something. Works decent in an open air.
    6.i bought the cheapest thermometer and humidity thing on Amazon.
    7. Some chain and some s hooks and screw hooks.
    8. The racks are 3x3".(i got them from work and cut them to fit.)i have 2 only 1 pictures.
    9. I still need to get some damper valves and y for the exhaust.
    10. I have some smart switch for light control. (gosund. Works off my phone can set schedule)
    So I stared my build by planing that is key. How am I going to grow my plants how many can my space support. Also considering full mature size. I figured 2 decent little bonsi will fit. The inner dimension of the fridge are 28"high by 15" wide by 12" ish deep.... So I figure bottom to top air flow would be best. So I started 20200614_101644.jpg
    Traced the fan. Where I wanted it to be on the back side. The used a drill with some random drill bit. To basically cut the plastic and bore out the hole to the steel on the backside 20200614_101648.jpg 20200614_103207.jpg
    Then my mother brought me a 4 inch hole saw and I cut the vent hole a little of center to hopefully account for the size of the fan. 20200614_112719.jpg
    I had to drill out the steel. I had a hard time with my snips on the bottom. After the hole in the top for exhaust was through. I shoved the 4"90 in the back till it was tight. I used gorrila tape. To cover the intake at the bottom from inside to out. And the exhaust goes inside to the inside of the pipe. 20200614_112732.jpg
    I did tape around the pipe there but no picture. 20200614_103505.jpg
    I screwed the fan down after I taped it. And drilled out the steel. 20200614_115857.jpg
    I had to put a fair size hole. For wires to pass. (the light has a switch and I wasn't pulling it.).
    So I took the light and marked where I wanted it and screwed in the small j hooks. Hung some chain and attached it to the light with s hooks. I crimped the end of the s hook onto the chain. And taped it above the light it kept falling off. Now it's plugged in and on with the only seed that popped out of the two I set. So I set 4 more to see what happens.... So here she is in her glory with the light in 20200614_134446.jpg
    Oh and the first pic the light is on. You will possibly see some light at the back for the moment. I'm looking for some screens (the filter from an window shaker. I'm Thinking) for the intake. I'm. Gunna plug the wire hole with a old rag.

This is my build an I love it. I have hope that I can make it work. I had some decent plants for my outdoor this year. That I started indoor open air. Sort of(they went out 10 days ago) 20200528_073551.jpg
    I am also planing on trying the srog method to my grow in the fridge. With alot of pruning... Just wanted to share with some people that might appreciate it.
    Thanks. Midgetdog

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. There’s a lot of info you could use in the MicroGrow section. Going to definitely take some work to keep the plants under control in that small space but that grow looks kickass for a little build.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Looks like you made a pretty sweet little setup. Only problem you will run into is that its too many plants for that space. You can do a micro grow but 4 plants is too much for that. I would stick with one, test your setup and go from there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wow! Good job.
    That's a tiny space. Keep us updated on how it goes.
    I'm glad the freon was evacuated before you drilled it ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cool looking mini fridge. Bet a good short growing auto would be bomb in there. But like the others said you only got room for 1 plant

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hey MD.
    Hows the grow going?

• Like Like x 1
  7. How is the fridge going?

• Like Like x 1
  8. "So my wife told me I can grow"
    :lmafoe:

9. Well his wife gave him permission:lmafoe:

• Funny Funny x 1