Mini Fridge Construction

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by BlackWeeds, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Hi Blades,

I'll be using this thread to document the construction of my CFL Mini fridge grow cab.

I have grown once before in a 400W HPS/MH tent (Started as a PC grow), due to restrictions I am forced to downsize. After and a year and a half of not having grown I am excited to get this project underway despite the small scale.

I picked up an old mini fridge locally, I took it as a sign that I am doing the right thing; when I pulled into the driveway of the stranger who was getting rid of the fridge. Her house was number 420..

Below I have attached photos of the disassembly, being on a nearly non existent budget I am slowly gathering supplies, I want to build this right the first time.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413346882.594227.jpg

Here is the fridge as I received it, first off I removed the temperature knob and then it's control assembly,

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413347018.161813.jpg

Next, I began to disassemble the door. The magnetic seal is in bad shape, presumably from years of keeping beer cold!

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413347158.293906.jpg

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413347345.061144.jpg

With the seal removed, numerous screws are revealed which hold a brittle plastic sheet molded into shelves; now heavily cracked and worn. I'll set this aside to use later.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413347462.278415.jpg

The door is insulated by what looks like cardboard but is actually a lightweight foam, I'll be covering this with either panda film or mylar. I'd prefer to use the panda film if I can find it.. We shall see!

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413347620.797617.jpg

Here you see the rear of the fridge, as it was received. Majority of the work done will be in this area, the compressor us visibly corroded and now home to a handful of spiders. This needed to go, 80% of the weight is because of this useless and potentially dangerous to me.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413347850.843244.jpg

With a beer in hand I take a moment to hydrate, and then I removed the two largest bolts. If I'm lucky the entire assembly will come free from the box leaving only the steel plate and the old compressor.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413348103.711265.jpg

The underside of the fridge has two more heavily rusted bolts holding the compressor in place, one comes loose with minimal effort while the second; to the right is rusted so bad I have to weaken the steel around the head to get it free.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413348301.227161.jpg

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413348358.595970.jpg

All that remains now are the dreaded coolant lines, which I pondered over disconnection for some time before slapping on some safety glasses and gloves then carefully cutting the copper tubing over a tray and jar in the event that fluid is present.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413348572.350988.jpg

Before you go lecturing me on the dangers of doing this, please note I assume all risk involved and opted not to document this process in detail for the fact that someone else might try and do harm. I'm sorry ozone.

I will say that I have collected and fully intend to properly dispose of what little fluid I did encounter. I'm sorry ozone.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413348847.194683.jpg

With the bulk removed, any remaining drops are left to drain over the next two days.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413348962.613916.jpg

The last step for now, is to remove the icebox. Same deal as above, safety first folks!

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413349073.898332.jpg

We're left with high hopes and much potential, that's all for now.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413349139.065866.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Looks like you got it down. Any seeds yet?

3. #3 BlackWeeds, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2014
    I do have seeds, quite a selection actually but to start I'll just be using mixed bag seed. (Don't hate ;))

I have a 4" inline duct fan which will be for exhaust and I will be drilling a passive intake on the bottom.

Pots will be recycled 2L ice cream buckets, hopefully 2 plants in SCROG.

I've attached a quite drawing of the light fixture I will be building, adjusting the number of bulbs as necessary (4 or 6 - 27W CFL) I also looked into buying a 125W CFL and wiring a mogul socket but the smaller bulbs are a more cost effective route.

4. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413350665.223169.jpg

Will be build using 1x1 pine studs cut on a 45' to 8" each. Then I'll attach the bulb sockets 2 each side or 3 on each side if I need more light.

5. Can't hate on bag seed. My best plant this year is from some good buds my friend gave me. Have you thought about using the fridge grate as your screen? Seems so natural haha

6. You got it! I'll be picking up a bunch of supplies on Friday to nearly complete the build.

I have to wait a bit on the exhaust, I have the fan but it's packed up with my other grow supplies. It's going to be a 4" inline duct booster on a fan controller with passive intake.

It's painful seeing it sit there, doing nothing.

Poppin seeds next week probably. ;)