Mini DWC

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by hendy, Mar 12, 2013.

1. #1 hendy, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2013
    Dont know if anyone else does this but here is my diy shallow water culture? They like it so far. Im just trying to get these plants to a bigger stage right now lol. They will be moms eventually.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update 3/18/13

3 weeks day 4

[​IMG]

Looking good so far, loving the 20$ mini dwc setup.

Had a root problem from the nute's I'm using; GH's Flora Nova - Grow, its way too heavy for my taste, and my girls' roots also. Going to switch really soon, but in the mean time I got Hydrozyme, and within 10 minutes I started noticing a difference. Was going to use H2o2 but, wanted something with a fungicide, I'm thinking this is that and H2o2? Not sure.

Oh yeah and the bottom left plant, critical HOG, the ufo freebee from attitude is a mutant, had a 1 leaf, 2 leaf, 3, then 4 lol

2. How dare you, come in to this forum, make a post about hydroponics... Display these awesome mini drip water culture containers and you don't even explain how you made them!

Be ashamed! Cuz I want one!! Lol

Grow area looks awesome, how long can they stay in that container? Do you have to trim roots? Straight drip system or air stone?? I want more info! Lol

3. lol. they are dwc. I just went to lowes and bought 3 or 4 ltr paint buckets with lids (plastic) then duct taped the light out. Traced the net pot on top and cut barley inside that so they slide in. Added air stones, filled, added nutes, ph'd boom.

They're loving it so far, I wasn't sure if I was going to do it or not but I was bored and had all of the stuff. They should be good for a few months, they might just stay short? Im not sure man this is the first run in this thing lol.

4. That's awesome, I've been wanting to go hydro with my next set up but larger, I'll have atleast 4ft of head room so trying to determine if I want to do 3 individual buckets 1 plant each, or a large sterlite container and grow 6 smaller plants.

I've been trying to come up with ideas there is so many types of hydro grows I get them confused.

What size pump and air stones are you using?

5. neither of them matter that much.. air stones and pump wise.

But as for you deciding on 1 tub or individual, I would say do undercurrent dwc, or dwc but with everything tied together. Makes it easier to maintain ph and ppms. I am going to get around to posting a tutorial of my diy undercurrent dwc system soon, have the pics just lazy. On second thought one big tub would be nice if youre doing a scrog. Just a PITA to do res changes and such. Just my 2 cents

6. How often do you have to change the res. my grow space is 4ft long 2ft deep and 5ft tall. Will probably settle on a 400w digital hps/mh.

So I'm trying to decide weither 3 plants versus 6 smaller plants.. I'm leaning towards a tote with 6 sites. I will be doing clones and for the most part will be (should be) same strain unless I decide to mix it up so keeping one container at optimal range instead of 3 seperate buckets.

Im really thinking of scrog, that way I can build supports to hold the screeb and keep the res off the ground enough to add a drain hose..

7. You change the res abut every 2 weeks, or when you have problems, or when the bottle says so. Yeah, personally I think large plants are better, but only if you have ample room. Small plants are easier to keep tame if you have limited space. But some people swear by a ton of small plants versus a few large ones.

Oh and Yea. Going with scrog you you can go either way, personally I think 3 large plants tamed into a scrog, would be better than a few more small ones, the yield would be higher I think.

8. I agree.

So are you running just an air stone in the bottom? Or do you also have a pump that picks up and runs to the bottom of the net pot? I've seen some with and some without. In assuming its easier to just run an airstone, but probably better to drip feed with the airstone.

9. Not using drip, its dwc. Ive done drip on a monster scale, drip sucks. DWC is so easy and effective. Nutes, Air stone, Water, Done. Simple. Stir them up if they need it.

10. Oh okay, I was looking at a bubbleponic system that had 2 pumps, one to run bubble stone and one to run water directly to the center of the root mass.

I think I'm going to do a 20gal tote for 3 plants. I read that a larger res is less maintenance right?

Do you add water and nutes every day? Or just top off water?

11. a larger res doesn't mean less maintenance, there's only so much you can do. Maintenance is check water level (if low add water) check ph (if not 5.5-6.5 add appropriate chemical), check ppm's [(if low add nutrients in appropriate ratios, if too high add water) check ph again]

Simple stuff.

Bigger system = more work \ higher yeild
    smaller system = less work \ less yeild

But I don't consider it work, I like to do it.

12. [​IMG]

Looking good so far, loving the 20$ mini dwc setup.

Had a root problem from the nute's I'm using; GH's Flora Nova - Grow, its way too heavy for my taste, and my girls' roots also. Going to switch really soon, but in the mean time I got Hydrozyme, and within 10 minutes I started noticing a difference. Was going to use H2o2 but, wanted something with a fungicide, I'm thinking this is that and H2o2? Not sure.

13. damn man I dont recommend GH Flora Nova to anyone, turns your roots brown as hell, why do you want brown roots with hydro???????????????? No idea.

14. Looks great. What type of lights are you using?

15. just cfls right now 6500k dont know the wattage. on splitters, just getting them ready