Mineral/Lime Question

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by CDN7, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with/opinions on this product: SRC Minerals

I'm using a CC style soil. Peat/compost/aeration with kelp/neem/crustacean meal and the minerals.

Previously my mineral mix would look like this:
    2 parts Glacial Rock Dust
    1 part Calcitic Ag Lime
    1 part Gypsum

Could this replace the Calcitic Ag Lime as it is 50% Calcium Carbonate? Oyster Shell Flour isn't available locally and this might be the best thing I've found. The trace/rare earth minerals sound good as well for diversity.

Thanks in advance.

2. IDK.

But, I will say this. I don't count lime as any part of my mineral mix and this avoids a lot of confusion, second guessing and questions like this.

I have both dolomite and calcitic lime (no oyster shell flour here either), and use one or the other depending. Usually dolo for freshly made mixes and calcitic for reamends. 1cup/cf for fresh mixes and a bit less for the reamends. That takes care of pH buffering for that grow cycle and pretty much given no further thought.

Now, for mineral mixes. I do use gypsum and granite dust in fairly small amounts for trace and such and perhaps some other Ca sources like crab shell meal (just checking it out to see if it is worth the shipping cost), but don't really consider the buffering ability. Gypsum doesn't affect pH much and crab shell is very slow to become available, but no matter, since the lime added at the beginning has taken care of all that.

This is why I see no real point in trying to replace the Ag Lime. Let the lime serve its function and let the minerals serve theirs.

Wet

• Like Like x 2
  3. Thank you for the reply. I have always thought that the Oyster Shell flour was superior in some way to the other Liming options. The more I read, the more I feel this really isn't the case - especially if it would mean bringing high shipping costs into the mix.

Regarding the mineral mix, do you mind me asking what you recommend? How many cups/cf if you aren't counting the lime?

Glacial Rock Dust (Gaja Green) is what is readily available here in the large 50lb bags at a good price. I always feel like I need to be adding some diversity here, hence the SRC product I linked above. Gypsum is the other item i've used in the ratios I listed earlier.

4. Gaia Green sells a basalt rock dust in Oregon so I would assume that you could get that as well. Basalt is paramagnetic whereas Glacial rock dust is not.

The advantage to OSF is the purity. Then again, Canada has much better laws in place than in the USA as it relates to material purity. Here? Doesn't matter if it's from China or wherever - limestone is limestone, right? Laughable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thank you. I will ask my local distributor about the Gaja Green Basalt, I haven't seen it here - would you use both, or is this a preferred alternative?

6. Paramagnetic rock dusts are light years beyond 'sand' or worse - Azomite and other alumina-silicate clays. A joke really.

I used Gaia Green Glacial Rock Dust for almost 12 years until an Oregon source for basalt rock dust became available. I wasn't the only person to shift. The distributor for the entire northwest was selling 360,000 lb a year to commercial farmers, gardeners, weed growers. Once the basalt rock dust hiti? That party was over. This is why Gaia Green rushed to get a basalt rock dust to market.

I've been to the glacial rock dust mine in Grand Forks, BC. Pretty big operation that's for sure. Nice folks as well. I was a guest along with several other people from an organic farming association here in Oregon. We were their biggest customer demographic. Go figure!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Cheers, thanks for the info.

• Like Like x 1