Mind or no mind?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by esseff, Aug 12, 2011.

1. #21 Account_Banned283, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
    why would I want no thought instead of thought? don't you think intelligence is a gift and should be utilized, thought inflicts no damage to feeling reality anyway, I don't know how you think it detracts from emotion

2. #22 Perpetual Burn, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2012
    ^Yeah, you can think about good things... but what about the bad things? In non-thought, we cannot possibly bring any negativity into our lives with bad thoughts. In non-thought, there is no need to think positively as we are not in a less than positive state due to our negative thoughts.

No, intelligence is not a gift as there is nothing 'else' to give us this gift... the kind of thinking that says intelligence is a gift is delusive and may lead to the idea that we have somehow wasted our intelligence by not utilizing it.

Thoughts are often the biggest distraction preventing us from feeling reality. Often, we blatantly ignore the present moment by thinking about other things. Unless you are thinking directly about what you are experiencing, thoughts are inherently distracting.

3. It seems that when there are no thoughts...there is a perfect moment of reality already existing, on its own. My thinking is what divides it, and makes it less.

4. No one can say whether there's a mind.

But you can say, "if there is a mind, I can quantify it in such a way that it's identical to physical brain states".

Since you can say that, as long as you're not in a philosophical debate or something, it's probably ok to just act off the assumption that there's not a mind.

5. you have wasted your intelligence if you have not used it, without thought we would still be cavemen, it is not thoughts that afflict humans it's the attitude they hold those thoughts in

6. Nice!

Hah! You wish you were so powerful.

No amount of thinking can divide the Tao.

7. Delusional! But to each his own.

So what?

Without notions of better or worse, I cannot be concerned about whether or not I'm a caveman.

This attitude is a product of thinking about our thoughts. Without thinking, there can be no attitude... certainly not one about thoughts.

---

In short...

Non thought is the way.
    Thought is the way.

8. how am I deluded for believing thought is beneficial? wherever attitude comes from is irrelevant, its attitude that thoughts are held in that affects people negatively, you seem to think an attitude towards is necessary for thought to exist

9. Any notion of beneficial or harmful, good or bad is inherently subjective... at best a relative phenomenon.

For example: We can say adding gasoline to a car is beneficial towards the desire for the car to run. But whether or not the car runs being good or bad is a subjective opinion.

So, if you're saying that utilizing intelligence is benificial towards some kind of goal- that's fine. But whether or not we need to reach said goal is an opinion... if you say we should reach for a goal, it is delusional (in that it is unnecessary.) Conversely, if I said we definitely should not reach for a goal, it too would be delusional.

Not quite... I'm saying that without thought, there is no way to have an attitude towards anything.

10. and i'm saying that thought doesn't require an attitude, it can exist without one, and I think thought is beneficial to everyone, i'm not saying its true, but i think it is

11. a bit of both. Depends on the situation too.