Military information thread (US military)

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Viaticus, May 14, 2011.

1. I did my time in the military, no more for me thanks. Right now I'm doing what I want, which is not a whole lot :laughing:

2. lol shows what you know. OCS is a training program YOU would respect. OCS is for enlisted personnel, who already have college degrees, and are already combat hardened, who want to go to a training program to learn how to become an officer. What I am referring to is ROTC school which is for ANY civilian, who is mentally, physically, and morally qualified, and wants to go to college while simulataneously learning how to get their foot in the door as an officer. Look I don't want to argue about this, and thank you for serving this country sir. All I am saying is that I've seen a lot of enlisted people bitching and moaning about some officer who just got their foot in the door, and how they don't know shit and yaddy yaddy yaddy, and all I can think to myself is "this person is REALLY upset about the fact that they don't have it any better". All they are REALLY complaining about is that these people get the respect (from their other officers and superiors) as an officer and the better way of life that comes with it without even having to go through a warzone. Well suck it up, this was not a draft. All the people complaining about how well these officers have it had the same chance to go to college and commission as an officer. Oh yea, but that takes too much intellectual work, doesn't it? Well then too bad, sit down, shut up, do your job and follow the orders of ALL of your superiors. If you don't want to do the job that comes with being enlisted then you can try to get out somehow (medical, dishonorable, whatever) because there are PLENTY of people, in this all volunteer military, who would like to take your place.

:laughing: I was stoned when I said that to you and actually just meant it for the OP. :D

3. OCS is not just for enlisted people, its for college graduates with no prior military experience. Prior enlisted go to OCS, that doesn't mean its a program designed for enlisted personell. The majority of OCS candidates are not combat hardened, that is a blatant lie.

Yeah, they just got there foot in the door and they are giving lectures about combat readiness to combat vets. They compare OCS stories to combat stories like they are at all related. They don't know shit, so they should lay lo, observe how shit works and listen to the NCOs.

Yeah they get respect for doing shit they didn't do. Instead it was some NCO or junior enlisted that did something noteworthy and the shithead O takes credit for it.

Yeah because everybody who enlists in the military had the option to go to college.:rolleyes: Not everyone is born with a fucking silver spoon in their mouth.

If you don't want to argue stop saying stupid shit.

4. this times 10x

5. Welcome to the real world sport. When you get out of your military bubble and maybe get a job at, I don't know, a corporation, you will be doing shit that the CEO's and higher ups will ultimately get credit for.

6. My reasons for not joining:

I don't agree with half of what our government does. I am not going to join the thing that I dislike.

I am a free thinker.

I do not like being treated like shit.

I don't like the fact that you have no rights.

The pay is shitty. You can make more by going to college, and you have a slightly higher risk of dying.

Too many wars for political reasons.

7. This is the way i look at it. I respect the military and those who fight but not for protecting me. Cause whether you want to admit it or not, you are not protecting the United States in any of the conflicts that are happening.

In other words, i appreciate our military, they go through hell and someone has to do it but i disagree with war and the reasoning behind it, therefore its not for me. Do what you think will make you happy. Some people love seeing the world and love being in uniform.

8. I see I see

First off thank you everyone for your feedback.

Secondly I really appreciate the information on ways to join the military be it as an officer or otherwise. That is something I really wanted information on. As most people said, enjoy life first and if I want to go to the military it will still be there later on in life, I don't plan on fucking up ( going to jail for a felony ) or anything like that so the military will still be an option later on down the road. Luckily for me I will have a better understanding of the military when it comes time to make that decision. As of now I, don't think it's a good time to join. Instead I plan on getting some college taken care of and go from there.

9. how could you possibly know if he is going to have a positive experience? i have a few friends in the army right now and they all love it.

op: just think long and hard about whether or not your prepared to go into combat. seeing your friends die in brutal ways, you yourself possibly dieing in a brutal way, etc. if its still a yes than go for it.

10. Yeah we all know deep down whether we are lovers or fighters. And this is the bottom line really. Me personally, I've flirted with joining plenty of times and got denied for my criminal record, but in retrospect, I don't want to die.:(

11. My dad was a recruiter and he told me about a program called JROTC basically you have to apply for it get a good asvab score have/had good grades a good act/sat score and you get selected and then the military not only pays for your college 100% but also you get money each week (300-600$) for basically committing to the branch...but if u do this you have a requirement of a certain amoumt of years.... It differs from branch to branch

12. Just got out the army after 5 1/2 years.Best decision of my life to join.Couldnt really afford college and i had a crap job getting out of high school. I Traveled the world and met some great people.I did go over seas to afghany for a year and you might to depending on ur job/Mos.After getting out ive started using my Gi bill to finish my BA.Its definitely clutch when you get out since they pay for ur schooling and give you BAH/$$$ based on where your living for living expenses.

13. I don't want to die either, I don't think many people do, but i'm not altogether afraid to die either. If I join and get caught up in a situation and die then so be it, we are human , and as a human I will die one way or another. I could die in a car wreck or any other random anomaly death. regardless

I don't totally support the propaganda of the government and I do not want to stand behind them now. If I join the military, best believe it's not because I agree with what we are doing as a miltary force in some regions of the world, I am there to better myself and set myself up to a successful future. I will do my part and leave. Some people as well as myself have posted they do not wish to stand behind a government they despise, keep in mind we only let the government get away with what we let them.

14. Yeah I mean if our country was in imminent danger I would join to protect it. But it's just not the same going to war now after a bunch of religious people, than say WW2. But another issue I have with the military is how it changes people. Almost everyone I know that has joined and gone back has changed for the worse. They're generally more irritable, sense of humor changes to either no humor or twisted "war humor", they tend to have this chip on their shoulder like civilians are inferior to them. I don't know they just tend to not be "chill" if you know what I mean...

But that's war/the military for you I guess..

15. That's stereotyping all military personnel, no?

Not everyone who joins any branch of the military all come out fucked up. I'm not saying this doesn't happen to COMBAT VETS, who have been in combat, fired and been fired upon and have seen scenes of Death worse than of Hollywood or Network TV show can capture. In WWI & II we called that Shell Shock, since then it's name has evolved over the years. Not everyone in the Military is out on the field fighting for their lives. There are bases all over the world. There are ships all over the world. There are military personnel in Hawaii while there are some in the Middle East. Not everyone has the same experience.

I actually came out of the Navy better than I was.

16. It's observation of troops over an extended period of time. The war humor is from combat vets yes, but everything else is true for many of them. I really don't give a fuck what you think either. So I'm stereotyping, stereotyping always starts with some truth.

17. Well I would be proof your stereotyping is wrong because I dont fit into your description. And we don't need your stereotyping to prove what we already know. Some combat vets are mentally & physically fucked up.

18. I'm really not even talking about combat vets dude. In my experience I have found that combat vets actually tend to be more chill than everyone else. The thing is, the people I am referring to are stupid. Generally when stupid people join the military they act how I describe, like arrogant jackasses. I've seen countless intelligent, down to earth troops who were all around great people.

Basically the trick is can you let the military indoctrinate you fully, or can you maintain some level of individuality? Anyways that's the dilemma many smart people in the military talk about.

19. I've definitely come across jackasses in the service. Big problem with that is sometimes, because of rank, they are in charge of people. They get a little bit of "power" & it literally goes to their head. But these people exist in every facet of life, but it is easier to achieve "power" in the military thanks to rank

20. Good point. Unfortunately the phenomenon I am referring to is true for E-1's as well. The source is coming from the indoctrination camps...err I mean boot camp/basic training