Mildew War - day 10 - mildew gaining ground

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by AloeRuss, Jan 16, 2013.

1. I am in the middle of flowering week 4. Vegged my plants for about 3 month as well.
    I have been battling powdery mildew for about 2 weeks now, but unfortunatley I feel like I am loosing.
    Every evening I have been picking up otherwise healthy but totally yellow leaves from my grow.
    I have started finding them at the increadable rate and they are creeping everywhere around my colas.

It would be a sad waste of 6 month if I would loose my crop, so I am desperatley asking for your help.
    Below is the list of things I do every day. Please let me know if I am missing anything or need to do anything else. I really need your help battling this evil.

... I open the walls of my tent at 7 pm.
    ... I spray my canopy with PM solution one day and water and milk on the other (I mostly cover my canopy on the top as many areas on the bottom that I cannot reach)
    ... I let the fans blow top and the bottom with all walls being open for at least 2 hours
    ... I pick the leaves and other things affected by mildew and throw it away

I just bought a spraying wand and Green Cure Fungacide. That I will start spraying tonight.
    I am not sure If I should continue spraying every single day or does this make things worst.
    Please give me some of those succesfull details that helped you win this battle and I will be in your debt.

Thank you as always

2. #2 xDisciplex, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
    I am not pro at dealing with PM,but I think your spraying way to much.

I got this info off line.According to this keep your temps above 70 degrees,and humidity low.40% is perfect.Again you should look into a sulphur burner.

Medical cannabis seeds are susceptible to powdery mildew, a general term for a variety of harmful plant fungi, once they start to grow leaves. If left unchecked, the mildew can damage and eventually kill an otherwise healthy marijuana cannabis plant. The fungus grows over the leaves, killing the plant tissue lying underneath the growth, and can spread quickly to nearby plants.

Powdery mildew is easy to miss at first because the fungus looks like a light coating of dust or powder on the marijuana cannabis leaves. Rubbing the plant's leaves removes some of the mildew, making it seem as if the "dust" can be simply wiped off. However, the mildew will appear to return in full force and continue to grow, taking on a distinct white circular pattern while spreading over the marijuana cannabis plant's leaves and buds. The leaves wilt and drop off, and growth slows or might stop altogether. The harvest is commonly lost without management or treatment. The fungus takes nutrients from the cannabis plant during the infection, so the overall state of the plant declines as the fungus spreads.

Prime conditions for the growth and spreading of powdery mildew include temperatures between 60 and 70 degrees and a high humidity level - two common growing conditions of medical cannabis seeds - and an acidic environment. Once one cannabis plant has been infected by the tiny fungi spores traveling through the air, it can easily pass the infection to the other plants by releasing spores from the white patches on the leaves, especially if the plants are close together. The spores are tiny black dots within the circular mildew patches. Dead leaves from an infected cannabis plant that fall on the ground contain these spores, and the spores can pass to other plants.

Powdery mildew

can be managed by changing the growing environment of the medical cannabis seeds, including raising the temperature over 70 degrees and lowering the level of humidity. Leaves that fall from an infected plant should be picked up immediately to stop the spread of the fungus to other plants, and the grower should not touch a healthy plant after picking up infected leaves without cleaning his hands first. Moving an infected plant away from healthy plants, if possible, helps stop the spreading of the spores throughout the rest of the crop. Some commercial bio-fungicides and less harmful fungi killers can be safely used on medical cannabis plants, such as cinnamon and copper-based plant treatment products. Neem oil, from the nut of the Neem tree, and sulfur suffocate mildew without the use of harsh chemicals. Common baking soda can be diluted with water or milk and periodically applied to the cannabis plant leaves to destroy mildew, but because cannabis plants can't take large amounts of sodium, any left behind bits of baking soda must be washed off before applying more. Harsh chemical fungicides should not be used on medical marijuana cannabis plants. Chemicals not approved for crops for human consumption can kill the cannabis plant and will make the harvest unfit for use by patients.

Trust me I feel your pain.I just axed 6 plants 40 days into flower.I had been battling a soil issue for months "to much lime",and finally just gave up.To start with soil I had fixed,and new clones.

Even if all goes to hell I think you could finish,and make hash oil out of it at the very least.Not %100 sure on that though.

3. Thank you for that info friend. I know it will be tough but I have to get them to harvest. The humidity is pretty much under control. I have 2 cans of dumprid keeping my humidity in high 40's. My tempersture is a bit over 70.
    I am not clear on spraying it every day. I see new yellow leaves and white resedue on the leaves daily. I can't not spray the mildew away when I see it. I think the least harmful will be milk and water.

Is there any other, one thing that I forget or not aware that I should do that will turn the battle in my favor?

4. At the same time you cant expect mildew to disappear if wet all the time IMO.You need to let it have dry,low humidty time IMO...

5. Pour milk on your plants as well. It battles pm well typically. Dryness along with that should help.

6. Brew up an AACT tea, strain, and apply as a foliar spray. If anything is going to work, it's going to be some beneficial bacteria ;)

7. I used milk the night before yesturday. Didnt spray anything the following night. Walked in on a bad collection of yellow leaves at the top of the canopy as well as around it.
    I would like to ask about technique when you spray. Basically the goal is to spray every inch of every plant...? It is doable on the top but extremley hard to do on the bottom and impossible to do in the middle section.

8. Also. One important thing. I usually spray them around 8PM at night. This is an hour after the "lights on".
    It goes out at 7AM when I am already out of my house so esentially 8PM is the only time for me... Do you see a problem here?

Thanks

9. Here is a thing I am going to do tonight.
    I will cut the trellis my plants are under. Take them all one by one into the bathtub. Spray them well with milk and water covering every split of an inch of the plan.
    Will scrub everything in the tent and bring them back in for the night.
    What do you think of that?

10. Sounds good.