Might be trying this myself

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Talc, Sep 4, 2012.

1. #1 Talc, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
    I'm gathering information to grow my own. It'll be more cost effective in the long run, and I'm fairly certain if I've produced it myself I don't need to worry about looking for it elsewhere.

My question is in regards to supplementing growth. I know of a plant hormone called gibberellic acid, and have used it on household plants before - it actively changes how the plant you've treated grows. Tests have been done on lettuce plants that result in the head being a stalked, leafy monstrosity that's about 10 feet tall.

I began researching its effect on cannabis plants, and found out the acid appears naturally in cannabis, which influences how they flower. Its effect on the center of this community is apparently larger buds with more resin - has anyone here tried this hormone therapy on their grows?

I also saw there's a special formulation of the acid that's more compatible with cannabis. Though, before I get started I want to know if anyone here has experience with it.

It even looks like, after a bit more study, you can change the sex of a cutting you make from a male into female, and have your plant mate with itself to increase desired traits in a strain. Otherwise, by simply treating your seeds, you've got more chance of creating female plants.

2. Sounds quite interesting, never heard of it, but if you grow and implement it in, I would definitely sub to your thread and follow their progress.

3. i read about this a long time ago. this guy was using aspirin (i guess aspirin has g.a. in it) to ensure he got females. never heard of it increasing growth though.

4. I saw when it's applied to seeds, it will cause the plant to become 3 to 4 times taller after germination, but won't increase the size of leaves or make a bigger yield. For the results I'm most interested in, the plant must be treated within its flowing cycle, and this will push the plant to put more energy into generating buds, which should result in more resin and denser yields.

5. [quote name='"Talc"']I'm gathering information to grow my own. It'll be more cost effective in the long run, and I'm fairly certain if I've produced it myself I don't need to worry about looking for it elsewhere.

My question is in regards to supplementing growth. I know of a plant hormone called gibberellic acid, and have used it on household plants before - it actively changes how the plant you've treated grows. Tests have been done on lettuce plants that result in the head being a stalked, leafy monstrosity that's about 10 feet tall.

I began researching its effect on cannabis plants, and found out the acid appears naturally in cannabis, which influences how they flower. Its effect on the center of this community is apparently larger buds with more resin - has anyone here tried this hormone therapy on their grows?

I also saw there's a special formulation of the acid that's more compatible with cannabis. Though, before I get started I want to know if anyone here has experience with it.

It even looks like, after a bit more study, you can change the sex of a cutting you make from a male into female, and have your plant mate with itself to increase desired traits in a strain. Otherwise, by simply treating your seeds, you've got more chance of creating female plants.[/quote]

Gerabbilic acid is used to force hermie a female. It's used by breeders to make feminine seeds.

They apply the gerabbilic acid to just one branch. This stresses the branch into growing male flowers. Now knowing some genetics to know makes and females have an x and y chromozome (spelling?). The pollen from the male flower is going to contain only female genes. Now take that feminine males pollen an Germinate a different plant.

Self pollenation results in the hermaphroditic trait being passed down. Only hermis will come of those seeds

6. there ya go, very nicely put!

7. I can turn those hermaphrodites into pure females the same way. This method can be used to "correct" the sex of plants you're growing when they activate themselves for any reason.

I ended up reading a bit more and found out after crossing a male cutting over, you've just introduced a hermaphrodite trait into any plants you breed it with. Its only a matter of time before you grow another one after that point.

However, I only found one source, 420 network, talking about possibly increasing yields. Other than that I guessed I could increase the size of a really stubby plant...but I don't hold stock in a unilateral assessment of any experiment. This is something I'll have to play around with. Maybe if I could grab a flowering hormone and toy with that, too.

8. #8 Storm Crow, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012
    I have all sorts of interesting stuff in the "Miscellaneous" section of my List. And among them is this-

Effects of Gibberellic Acid on Primary Terpenoids and Delta-Tetrahydrocannabinol in Cannabis sativa at Flowering Stage. ( abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Effects of gibberellic acid on primary terpenoids and delta-tetrahydrocannabinol in Cannabis sativa at flowering stage. PubMed Journal article abstract

You can get a copy of my List by emailing me (bottom of my sig) or PMing me your email addy.

Granny