Might be going to jail.

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by staples, Nov 3, 2010.

1. #1 staples, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2010
    Well, I was with my friend, and we decided to smoke up at this little nook away from everything and go walking. We came to this abandoned factory and decided it would be pretty cool to go poking around it. We did, made stoned comments about how the twisted pieces of steel protruding from the building looked kind of like hands, and were on our way.

Well, we started to sober up eventually and decided to return to our little nook. As we were walking, we were stumbling around, laughing, having a good time. However, pretty soon, we heard a vehicle pulling up behind us. Jokingly, I said, "Dude, is that a fucking cop car?", to which my friend replied, "Haha, probly'."

So, expecting a quick talk about walking around creepy places at night, we started walking towards the car, as their headlights were pressed violently in our direction. As we got closer, the cops stepped out and immediately walked over.

"Hey, what's up?" I said, in a friendly-, pretty normal way.

"What are you boys doing tonight?" said one of the officers. This one was a woman.

"Just walkin'."

"Yeah, just walkin'." said my friend.

"Just walkin'? Well, we got a report of two people trying to break into that old building over here. Was that you?"

"We walked around it, but we didn't break in."

"Uh-huh. Put your hands on the car."

"Alright, then."

So, we both put our hands on the car. The other officer, a scrawny white guy, moved over to the back of me, but the lady started talking again.

"We're gonna' search you. Do not step away from the vehicle."

"Okay."

My heart started pumping viciously in my chest. I had just a little bit of weed and a bowl on me, but with a clean criminal record, an attempt at employment in the making, and residence in a conservative community, that seems like a giant fucking milestone. So, I prayed to somebody in my head. Might have been God, I don't know. The man started with my right pocket, where the wallet containing my bowl was. He lifted the wallet, and the bowl slipped out. I thought that it must have been a miracle. However, he then dove back in and immediately pulled the bowl out. After searching that pocket one last time and finding nothing, he placed both items on the trunk of the car. The lady started speaking up again.

"You do drugs?"

"Naw."

"Then what's that my officer found in your pocket?"

"A glass pipe."

Then, the male cop pulled the little baggie of weed out of my back left, and looked at me.

"I'm holding it.", I said.

The lady did a sort of laugh that said, "Yeah right, you sick low-life potsmoker.", and she actually said "Holding it.", as if to convey that it was such an unlikely statement the universe must fold in on itself through it's utterance.

"Yeah." I said.

"Do you have any idea what smoking all this dope does to your brain?", she asked me.

"Uhhh..."

The male cop continued to search me, and found (to his suprise) a torch lighter, several empty packs of cigarettes, infinite amounts of crumpled papers, pens, pencils, and an empty can of dip. The trunk of the car was almost an eighth of the way covered in shit.

Well, I started to move away from the trunk, to which the male cop told me, "Don't move!"

"I'm not dangerous." I said.

He finished searching over me (completely missing a small pocket I had over a bigger one containing a neon green Bic lighter and somehow a pocket knife I had in the bigger pocket under it) and said, "Okay, you can stand now."

So I did, and I put my hands in my pockets. "Don't put your hands in your pockets!" he said.

"Well, if you were doing your job I'd have nothing left in my pockets."

I wasn't sure where it came from. Such a ballsy statement wasn't normal of me in such situations. It all got quiet, everyone seemed to look at me. Then, nothing else was said and we both had to call rides (they spared us a trip to the station, kind souls), since we had someone drop us off on their way to work.

Anyway, I got charged with Possession of a Sci VI Illegal Substance, Possession of Drug Paraphernalia, and Public Intoxication. I'm not sure what all my friend got, but it was probably at least the Public Intox.

I'm awaiting a court date.

2. ehh i dont think youd actually go to jail for that, depends on where you live though probably.

3. Tennessee.

I'd guess probation and a fine, but that's why I said "might."

The sheriff here is obssessed with cracking down on drug users, so that's why I'm nervous. With a decent lawyer, though, I should be good.

4. What state are you from, might only be a good fine if it's decriminalized where you are.. And thats bullshit on public intoxication, but you're lucky to not get the breaking and entering charge along with tresspassing, that might have been just as bad.

EDIT: Tennessee isn't decriminalized, so you might be in a bit of trouble..

5. I am with KB92 on this. I do not think those charges will send you to jail. Probation maybe with a possible CS and fines or something but I cant see jailtime resulting from that. My friend got caught w/ a HP and $500+ in grow equip while driving on a suspended license and he's not looking at jail time. You will be fine man. Just relax and hit some weed:smoke:

6. Yeah that's what i was thinking could of been wrost, still sucks running into the cops sorry that happened to you.

7. Haha dude, you're not going to jail.

fine, probation, maybe some drug awareness class

You may or may not be testing on probation, but if you do, it probably won't be that often. This isn't that big a deal, but it's obviously not a good thing, either.

8. Yeah, I was pretty sobered up. But what am I gonna' do, take a drug test and fail?

I'm just praying for probation and a fine. I never thought I'd pray to give people my money.

9. Yeah, testing's going to suck. I'm probly' just going to smoke constantly for the next few days to ease some tension.

10. lol no jail for you. get a lawyer and the public intoxication will be dropped. actually all the shit will probly be dropped

11. probably just get probo. def get a lawyer bru

12. Hope so. My Grandpa's the head of the schoolboard, and my uncle's the sheriff of a nearby city (to which he pushed a tax increase to build the jail I would be sent to), so even though I pretty much look like the bad apple on the Family Tree now, I also have connections to top-of-the-line lawyers as family friends.

13. your first mistake was stating "We were walking around it." wtf?

your second mistake was letting them search you.

14. #14 staples, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2010

It wasn't illegal to walk around it. It was only trespassing once you went in, not on the land around it. And what other two guys would happen to be walking around it, when we were right next to it? Sometimes honesty just seems like the best option.

And they didn't ask. They told us.

15. <- f.t.p.

16. ya i dont understand what else he couldve done, u dont have a right for them to search u or not, they just do

17. Yeah bro,

sounds like you definitely won't be going to jail.. if all you had was that little bowl and your piece, and no criminal record.

18. I would have lost it at that point.
    But I really don't think you are going to jail for this. I've seen my friends get pulled over for more and just get probation. you will most likely get probation

19. Dude, I really thought you have more rights then that. They cant tell you they are going to search you, thats just police tricking you into it. You can always deny a search as far as I know. You should have asked for the prescribed circumstance. I dunno, I atleast thought you can do that.

In Australia they have to have reason of suspicion and stuff, but of course they bullshit that anyway. Bad luck man.

20. You wont go to jail for that, just a misdemeanor most likely, get community service and a fine, maybe probation.