Microwave Fan for Exhaust?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Leeguana, Aug 1, 2008.

1. We had a microwave that died a few years ago, and today I decided to experiment. I pulled out the fan, connected the two wires coming out of it to an old lamp cord, plugged it in, and voila, it works!

I've been looking for a cheap exhaust fan for my grow cabinet (4'H x 2.5'W x 2'D) and I'm wondering if this just might work. The fan blade is only 4.5" across, but the whole thing must weigh close to 2 pounds. It blows like a mini-jet propeller, and from googling the CFM of microwave fans, it's probably pushing around 200 CFM.

Does anyone have any experience using a microwave fan for their exhaust? From reading the forums, I've got some pretty decent ideas for a DIY odor control filter, but any tips on how to mount the fan would be greatly appreciated (since I'm severely challenged in the area of electronics). Are there any safety issues I should be concerned about? (for example, when I plug it in, I'm afraid to touch any part of the motor, for fear of being electrocuted, lol). Here's a couple pics of the fan (the 3 screws on the back are where it was mounted inside the microwave):

Attached Files:

2. I cat see that fan moving lots of air. Dont risk it there if the fan stops running as it is not made to run for prolonged periods your gonna come back to crispy plants and crazy tempertures. :smoking:

3. I better get a real fan after this grow is done (assuming the house doesn't burn down). They've only got about 3 weeks left in flowering before I harvest them. It's a surprisingly powerful little fan.

I ended up not making a carbon filter yet, since the wife said I could use our room air purifier (it's got a carbon filter, a hepa filter, etc.). It takes care of the smell unless you are standing right next to the cabinet.

I just took some scrap sheet metal from the bottom of the junked microwave, cut a couple pieces to size (I bolted the two pieces together to make a double layer cause the metal didn't seem very sturdy), drilled holes in the metal, and screwed the fan into it. I was going to cut a round hole in the top of the cab for the exhaust, but since this is a temporary fan, I just attached the fan to the hole on the side/top. There's another hole just like it on the side/bottom. I built this cabinet back in the early 90's and kept my Iguana (Joe) in it, so it already has two vent holes (except they're both on the same side of the unit, and they're rectangular shaped, covered in 1/2" wire mesh).

The temp was reaching 90+ and I was having to leave the door open a bit to keep them cool, but with the fan installed, the temp is now topping out at 80 degrees.

Note to self: Get a real exhaust/scrubber system, and remodel lizard cage so it's more suitable for growing.

Attached Files:

4. By the looks of it you have made a tidy job of that instlation. And hey if she's working to lower the temperture thats what ya need. All the best :smoking:

5. So far, so good, thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope it holds up for 3 more weeks, then I'll upgrade.:smoking:

6. Get something like this to cool your room they are very quite and shift alot of air.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps best of luck there :smoke: