Micro-recirculating dwc for seed to flower SOG.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Canibis, Jul 15, 2018.

1. #1 Canibis, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Just finished putting this together to try a seed to flower run as soon as my tent is clear.

Anyone tried the soaker hose style drip? 20180713_235622.jpg 20180714_203806.jpg 20180714_203812.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. did you use insulation tape under the lid?

sorry, just noticed that's not aeroponics. nice rig, let us know how it works.

3. I should be able to start seedlings in the next 2 weeks, so I'll post updates. 20180715_123511.jpg

4. 20180716_184512.jpg you can see the drop rings more clearly with media in there.

5. Subbed because curiosity

6. Getting 5 criminal+ (fem) and 2 free fem seeds today from supreme seeds. Hopefully they're the white rhino that I kept see pictures of. Ha ha. Doubtful. But got to say, so far I'm impressed with Supreme seeds. First time using them, and they're legit!

7. 20180725_180911.jpg not white rhino, but blueberry will do 20180725_181057.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ok, i'll start by saying that the soaker hose turned out to be a costly fail of the most epic proportions.

I unfortunately didn't learn this lesson with young relatively cheap seedlings though. I had been using it as an airstone with seemed to be great success.
    20180702_174722.jpg
    It sustained consistent "micro bubbles" for approx. 3 months with no issue.....

..........until it didn't.

Even with a 950 gph air pump constantly pushing air out of the pores in the hose, the nutrient solution clogged the damn thing at the worst possible time. 5 1/2 wks into flower on a 7 week flowering skunk berry auto.

Within a 48 hr period, the root mass was engulfed in mold. After all my attempts to bring her back, she was a complete loss. 3 ounces of frosty nugs with completely clear trichs. I was pissed. It felt the the ending of old yeller.

Needless to say that hose is no longer going to be anywhere near ANY of my plants again.

I have reconfigured my design after the costly and depressing failure and am now driving this version "the super circulator dwc". LOL
    My hope is that by giving it a fancy name it may work better than that damn hose did.

20180803_214610~2.jpg 20180803_213740.jpg 20180803_213726.jpg 20180803_222828.jpg 20180803_223000.jpg

Hopefully with having an airstone, as well as the sprays, I won't have the same situation on my hands later.

I'll update once the seedlings get potted to show how it's doing.

9. I use the soaker hose diffusers in my cloner and in a tomato bubble bucket with zero issues so far. I’ll have to keep an eye on it

10. By the way, thanks Trojan.

Your comment above gave me the stoned idea of doing the aero/dwc hybrid.

11. I did some research, and I believe there was a "rolling blackout" at the time that it became clogged. I had been using extra carbs in late stages of flower. I think in that short period of time that power went off, it sunk the ship.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Went ahead and popped them in pots today. The superthrive had their taps pushing superfast, so I figure they'll stand up to the exposure.

20180804_142706~2.jpg
    20180804_170559.jpg

Blueberry on the outside - criminal middle
    5.65 ph
    178ppm
    tap water with superthrive & ph-

Yes, tap water.
    I forgot to mention on my dissertation yesterday that my 1 variable to that last water change before the mold was that I had used distilled for the first time. I will only use tap from now on.

I'm only doing 3 on this run to test it out. Not sure how they will spread, and quite honestly don't want another situation like I had on the last. I've got a hand full of orange blossom seeds to fill it out on next run.

I think that's it for now. This sativa has got me scatter brained. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. yeo Canibis, nice crafting bro.

this is the manifold for the one I crafted. Its out of the (same) box and fits onto a waterpump with a standard 1/2" outlet:
    DSCF2031.JPG
    You didn't need to use insulation tape with your setup? Mine gushed out the side. I will tape it up soon though.

keep up the good work!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks!

No I haven't needed tape yet. It took a while to determine the best nozzles and set up for the pump I had on hand, but that's one good thing about being in the irrigation business. Plenty of parts for trial and error lol.

My nozzles are primarily directed to the bottom of the lid though. I wanted the water to hit as many odd surfaces as possible to increase the agitation rate.

I may have to look at using it once I run it with full pots, as double the nozzles will be needed at that point.

15. So, once again, the scatter brained sativa has struck.

Latest addition
    20180805_193545~2.jpg

Last run I fought the stretch way too much. I don't want to chance it with these guys. So bondage there will be. Ha ha

16. Why don't you just fill the tub with nutes and run a DWC.

I've done about 50 good DWC grows since '01 with 2 - 12" airstones in the bottom of a Rubbermaid tub and a dual outlet aquarium air pump. Top feed is just a waste of time.

A big plastic frame isn't really needed either and gets in the way. Some simple fencing hung with baling wire lets the screen float so it's not pushed up by the growing plants when the branches are tied to the top of the screen with twist tie.

DWCScroG.jpg

This ain't ScroG but could have been.

Root_mass.jpg

All the popping bubbles keep everything well soaked to the inside of the lid. The wheeled platforms make it easy to turn the tub around to tie grow tips without getting off my ass. :)

BoilingTubs01.jpg

Yours should work fine and I wish you a fantastic harvest! circle.gif

peace.gif

• Like Like x 3
  17. You using sm90 or hydroguard mate?
    Sm90 will 100% keep your res free of problems as long as your not putting organic nutes or any other daft stuff in it.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Nice set up labrat.

I'm unfortunately restricted a lot by my grow area. I have to keep everything contained to a closet (not even a walk in)

I ditched the top feed due to the soaker hose fiasco in the earlier post, and went with the spray heads under the lid (plugged into alternate electrical source), as a "full proof" way to prevent the whole grow from being destroyed by power outage or clogged airstone.
    I have to do some traveling for a few days at a time, and don't want to rely on stone only this run. The last run went down the drain in 48 hrs, and I had really tried to stay on top of things ( I thought).

I'm not trying to recreate the wheel, just trying to find the best solution to the problems I have already encountered on my previous grow.
    As for the scrog net, it is still adjustable. I have an endless supply of pvc and built it taller than needed until I determine best height for these girls when it gets time. I still have 3-4 weeks.

I plan on designing some type of pulley system to be able to lift net and res lid simultaneously for res changes and root inspection. That should be over the next week when I get to go to hardware store though.
    I'll update with pics of my successes/failures on that project.

Keep the suggestions coming. I really enjoy seeing other people's solutions to the issues they have encountered, as necessity is the mother of invention. Suggestions and sativa are the milfs of invention though! Lmao

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yessir! I'm actually running sensizym with this grow. I've got a good source for Advanced nutrients where I am, and will be trying to run with all advanced on this grow.
    I have a friend that is doing the same with GH products, so that we can have side to side comparison. Seeds started same day. I built an exact replica to my res and set up for him to keep things equal. He just doesn't post or take pics of his set up. (The paranoia is strong with this one LOL)

• Like Like x 2
  20. And we have roots! 20180807_185330.jpg criminal 20180807_185245.jpg blueberry
    5th day since sprout

Funny thing is the shortest and last to sprout has over double the visible root so far. It kind of reminds me of when my wife tells me I'm short, and I say that all my height is below my waist. Ha ha ha

I'll have to keep an eye on that one though. I have a good feeling about it.

I figure i'll be adding some toned down nutrients in 2 days (at 1 week) just to give them a little more time.

Does anyone have a good water chiller recommendation? I use frozen bottles, but with going ot of town soon, need a more permanent solution to the problem.

I found the coolworks probe chiller for $125, but I know there has to be something better for comparable price or there.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2