Micro PC Grow (first timer)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by btschwaz, Oct 1, 2013.

1. #1 btschwaz, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Hey guys this is my first grow, just having some fun. I decided to make a PC grow box to use. I always have computers around so it blends in pretty well in my room.

My setup is pretty janky, but its functional.(I'd like a few pointers)

3, 12V pc fans: 1- exhaust, 1- intake, 1- airflow inside the case
    2, CFL's: 1- 2700k 23watt, and 1- 2700k 13watt (what i had at my house)
    2, Plants I germinated from some seeds I pulled out of some kind (don't know strain)

Im going to add 2 more 23watt 6500k CFL's, which are best for vegging i hear.

Anyway, I germinated the seeds in a glass of water. I let them soak for about three days and then plopped them in some little pots and set them in a shoe box for a few days, watering daily. once they sprouted I threw them in the PC box.

Here's a pic of them right when they sprouted

IMG_2588.JPG

1 day

IMG_2592.JPG

3 days

IMG_2594.JPG

4 days

IMG_2609.JPG

Added some light traps

IMG_2610.JPG

Box sits in my stereo cabinet/wardrobe

I'd like ideas for masking the scent once it starts to smell, either some kind of filter or air freshner. I'm not sure what would be best for my type of box

2. #2 albuquerquegrowcfl, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2013
  3. It's one of those windshield sun protectors cut to fit, thanks for the feedback!

4. looking good man

5. there is some stretching going on i recommend lower hte lights and covering the stem with about 2 inch of soil

6. #6 btschwaz, Oct 1, 2013
    What is stretching? and what will putting it under more soil do? how far should the pant be from the lights?

7. cool, that's almost always made of mylar. and the count is right about the stretching, I didn't notice before. I would be careful about covering the stem to much though, deff raise the plants to about an inch or so below the lights, seems like you may have a taller strain and you might consider flowering a lot sooner then you plan.

8. #8 albuquerquegrowcfl, Oct 1, 2013
    when my seedlings are the same age as yours they are way shorter. when you start node development you want them to space as close as possible, stretching means the plant is reaching for light and putting to many resources in to reaching the light. prevent this by making sure your plants are never more then a 2 inches from the lights.

9. @btschwaz

awesome, i was hoping on flowering around 3 or 4 weeks in. How long do you think?

10. how much room do you have vertically? is the bud indica or sativa do you think? i have a very high percentage indica plant with 24 hour light so it has very short internodes and will reach full height in flower of 4 feet, which i have enough room for so I am going to veg it for probably 8 weeks. depends on how much bud you want..longer veg = more yield. if you dont have alot of room i would lst and fim

11. @[member="btschwaz"] stretching is when the plant is not getting sufficient light and reaches up to try and find more. the cfls can practically be on your plant. like an inch away

12. #12 Count_Dankula, Oct 1, 2013
    here is my current grow when she was 4 days old from sprout, see how short it is? you want to have your lights as close as possible to your plant without burning it, and with cfls you can get VERY close. 

plant 1.jpg

plant 2.jpg

I recommend burying the plant a little and also make sure there is a breeze on the plant it will produce thick stems. also 2700k bulbs near the stem helps aswell.

another thing that can help with stem strength which you can do next time is to plant the seed with the tap root pointing upward. the root will go up and do a u turn and start heading down into the soil, this makes a stronger stem.

13. the total height of the box is like 17 inches minus room for lights and the pot its in. so maybe like 10 inches from the soil. and yes i was planning on doing an LST

14. lst and fim my man. or maybe do a mini scrog

15. what is fim? and estimated how much do you think i could yield? 

16. Homemade cagbon filter can be made for pretty cheap..i'll see if i can find some links for you and get some ona gel. I use ona gel for when I trim/dry and i've had great results so im sure it will work for a small pc setup.

stretching is when the light is too far away so the plant basically stretches and the main stem gets really tall and flimbsy because its trying to reach the light. cover the stem with more soil, new roots will grow out of the covered stem and get the cfls no more than 2 inches away from the top of the plant. after 2-3 inches cfls lose a lot of effectiveness. just use some stacked books/dvd cases to get the plant higher up and close to the lights

17. fuck i missed. similiar to topping except you cut off like 80% of the new internode at the node and the one cola turns into 2-8 colas. and hmm not much since you actually dont have enough watts per plant for just one plant. you want 100w per plant and 50w additional plant. You have like 82 watts....so figure a 1/3 of a g per watt. You will end up with probably a zip. Get some more watts and you will significantly increase your yield. Check this : http://www.amazon.com/Photography-Studio-Fluorescent-Daylight-AGG872/dp/B0089Q1J5C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1380597544&sr=8-4&keywords=limostudio

4 65w bulbs for less then $30. Thats an additional 260 watts..or like another 3 zips.

18. thanks for the calculations, idk if those bulbs will fit in my case. i may have some rearranging to do 

19.  your current plan is subject to the will of the plant, when you flower your plant it may double or even triple in size. so be sure to consider that when deciding to flower, next time consider cloning from a sexually mature plant that way you can flower when ever you want. As it sits I assume you will have to top the shit out of this grow in order to prevent your grow box from being over filled.

20. I don't really have access to sexually mature plants lol, but so you're saying that I should flower early? And not really sure how to top or when to for that matter