Micro Hydro question what is a rockwool?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by noobgrower951, Jun 12, 2012.

1. hello i started my hydro grow and my friend is supposed to give me some clones but he keeps asking me for rockwool and razorblades?? like what in the world is a rockwool...... i am looking up pictures and tried google searching but all i can find is how to insulate your house with rockwool...... like i have pellets, for the plants do i need a rockwool for clones? or too clone a plant? or do i need just pellets? like i am confused as a mother if anyone can help me out like do i need a rockwool for a hydro set and why? or how do i use it??

2. Rockwool is just a manufactured medium that is good for clones or seedlings.
    The rock wool cube, once seeded would be placed inside of your net pot.

Here is an image describing my post, mind you the cubes shown are pretty huge and a bit overkill in my opinion:

[​IMG]

3. wow blackweeds thank you for this information i love it! and quick question do i need to use a rockwool or would a rockwoll be helpfull i mean to my plants? or is a rockwoll a necessary thing for hydro plants? sorry for all the or's lol just very curious

4. #4 BlackWeeds, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2012
    From what I've seen rock wool is used 99% of the time during hydro grows.. I am not sure how else it would grow without it to be honest. You can also cover rock wool after your germinated seed has been put into it. In your case, your friend needs rock wool for his clones so they have somewhere for the roots to grow into. I assume he'll dip a cutting in root gel then poke the cutting into rock wool.

APPLYING ROOT GEL
    [​IMG]

CLONES IN ROCKWOOL
    [​IMG]

5. oh lol well the way i would do it without the rockwool is getting a set of 8 pellets not the round clay pellets just one big round circleish big pellet dig 3/4'th of the way down into the pellet pop your seed in there and cover the seed with what you dug out of the pellet(my friend used to do it this way for hydro and just add some little circle pellets on the side). lol but i am going to just go ahead and buy the rockwool's since myne is a micro hydro grow i hope i can find small enough rockwool's for sale

6. The typical size I've seen is just 1" x 1"

7. yes buddy ahh i see how to apply well i guess the method i posted up top i am assuming only works with seed's since i see no way you can do that during clones and thak you for the pictures that truly helped me understand why you need to use rockwool's for clones in hydro~!!!!!! i freaking love your info!

8. It's all research my friend, there's a TON of useful info and amazing growers here at GC always wiling to help, just trying to do my part! :p