Micro Grow Rubbermaid CFL (AK-47) 12/12 from Seed

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by eyewtkas, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Hey everyone :wave:, let me just start off by saying this is going to be a Micro-Stealth Grow only consisting of two plants. It will be CFL-only, and it will also be 12/12 from seed. And yes, unfortunately this is also a Miracle Gro grow.The strain I'm going to use is AK47. I managed to get two feminized AK47 seeds from my friend who recently picked them up from Amsterdam. I'd love to do more plants, but he's only letting me tryout 2 of the seeds at first.

Disclaimer: I appreciate suggestions, but I really would like to steer clear of suggestions like “You should Veg for 2 weeks and get 6500k lights” or “You should not use Miracle Gro” or “You shouldn't use CFL's.” I understand I can get better plants/yields with all of these suggestions, but this will be a MICRO GROW ONLY CONSISTING OF 2 PLANTS CONTAINED IN A VERY SMALL AREA, A VERY GHETTO SET UP IF I MIGHT ADD … haha so without question I'm using the 12/12 from seed method, under CFLS, and in Miracle Gro soil.

Here is a list of supplies I will be using from the start. Everything I have to assemble my cab was from Home Depot EXCEPT the actual 14GAL Rubbermaid storage Bin, but I'm sure those run for around $20 or so. I also stopped @ my local Hydro Store to pick up some Fox Farm Tiger Bloom nutrients. Here's a quick run down of the pricing and equipment.

(2) 42w Smooth White CFL (2700k ) $18 ($9 each)
    30w Bright White CFL (3500k) $9
    Power Strip 6 outlet $3
    Extension Cord $3
    (3) Outlet to Socket Adapters $6 ($2 each)
    (2) 6 inch Pots $4 ($2 each)
    (2) Pot Saucers $2 ($1 each)
    Lamp Timer $7
    Bag of Miracle Gro Organic Potting Mix $5
    Bag of Scotts Perilite $4
    Box of Aluminum Foil $2 (Yes, foil, I don't think two 42w cfls and this grow space will cause many burnspots, plus I've read you can use the less shiny side for added protection against the burn spots)

Located @ Hydro Shop:
    Fox Farm Tiger Bloom $18

Items that are noteworthy but did not cost me anything: (found around house)
    14 Gal Rubbermaid Storage Bin (yes, only one of them)
    Digital Thermometer/Hygrometer
    PC Fan (I will have to learn how to hook it up to an AC adapter)
    Humidifier
    Oscillating Fan
    PH papers

So before I will invest anymore money , my initial set up is costing around $81 including the Fox Farm Tiger Bloom nutrients that I bought @ a local Hydro store, which of course are probably optional as well. Here's a picture of the bin with and without lights.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Germinating of the AK seeds has started 10/16/07 using the wet paper towel on top of your computer method, keep checking back for updates. And I'm sorry for picture quality, currently I'm only able to use my cell phone to take pictures but will hopefully have access to a digital camera by the time I see some buds.

Thanks for your time, will have picture updates everytime. :smoke:

2. your setup is identical to mine except i plan on having 1 plant and LST'ing it. im curious to see how much u get starting em off on 12/12. good luck

3. Hippy_Hay - Thanks for dropping by, good to hear you use the same kind of set up. I'd love to see your journal or pics along the way. Let's keep in touch and grow em together :d

Updates: So I was able to hook my 12v Computer Fan up to an A/C Adapter, was fun to do too. So that means I have the pc fan as my intake , then I have a passive exhaust tube near the top back that seems to be working pretty nicely, the temps are staying between 75-80 degrees F while the humidity is only 30-40%. I need to throw a glass of water inside I think to add more humidity or just hook my humidifier up and point it towards the intake hole. Seeds have been germinating for just over 12 hours now, should be ready in a day or so.

Here's pics of the cab now with the pc fan intake and my little germers.

[​IMG]
    Standard Pc fan, was really old ... said 12v and my AC adapter had settings from 1.5 to 12 so it was fine.
    [​IMG]
    And here's the installed pc fan on the right side, blowing towards, but not directly on where the plants will be.
    [​IMG]
    Germination Day. :hello:

Thanks for looking =)