Micro geodesic 12/12 rapid grow ...attempt

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by sb450, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Hello forum! I used to have a profile on here a couple years ago and had a journal of my first grow. I deleted my profile after that grow for some reason, not sure why, but im back! Im pretty excited to get growing again!I have an interesting idea and i wanted to share it with you as i go. Although i am not fully equipped yet, i invite you to join me and share input and advice on my project. I have yet to fully prepare because i am still inexperienced and would like some guidence on how i should go about it. Ok then!Here it is. I want to make a small geodesic dome constructed out of cardboard triangles, each with mylar applied to one face (the inside) to minimize light waste, and large enough to house 1-2 small plants. Also small enough to place in a closet. This grow wont yield very much but its more for science than anything. I just want to see if i can work with minimal lighting and still produce good results relative to the size of the plant. I plan on using five cfls. 1x65w 3000 lumen 2700k cfl, and 4x28w(?) 1500 lumen 5000k cfls. What do you think so far?

2. So, started a prototype jist to see what im getting into. And let me tell you, this is some tedious work. I need 60 triangles x.x

Attached Files:

3. Emergency blanket, $3

Attached Files:

4. Intriguing fosho. What will you be using for ventilation?

5. Good question! I plan on making the bottom open, with a platform or feet lifting it off the floor so air can enter. That way i can mount a fan up top to pull air from bottom to top. Like i said this is an adventure so i really appreciate questions like that. It helps me plan better lol. I may have to rebuild the enclosure bigger. We'll see i guess. I dont know how to proportion the size of the triangles to the circumference of the structure... so its all just guess work. If its way too small, then ill look up how to size it correctly.

6. Ok, got all my triangles glued down to the film. Let me tell you, i really wish i had a good work surface, whew.

Attached Files:

7. I'll be following this...it looks very interesting. Good luck with it. What size is the dome going to be and what kind of fan will you use?

8. Ok, after hours of work i have decided that i have gone about this in an inefficient manner. I have constructed a temporary enclosure for my seedlings but i am going to start over with the larger one. My first mistake was trying to make it from triangles. It required much more work than simply cutting out whole pentagons and hexagons. So that is how i will do it. I have to find a large amout of cardboard of equal thickness amd start over. But i will show you the little one i made. I looks like poop but i think but i think its perfect in functionality. Man its bright in there!!

Attached Files:

9. Without sufficient ventilation i may have just created an ez-bake oven.... haha ez-BAKE

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wow! Sure got that baby together. It truly blows my mind.. I don't even know how its standin up. But i like it. Perfect for that 2 weeks of seedlings. So your gonna go 12/12 now? or here in a bit, after they get settled.

11. Well, im aiming for one plant, so im going to pick the strongest female. Then i might do a fim/scrog. But honestly it might stress the plant out too much to do both..

12. theyve been on 12/12 since they sprouted. So theyll stay relatively small

13. Allllrighty then. Week 4. Well, i had two plants in mah dome, i was waiting for them to show their sex. And they finally have. Thats right, from seed to showing sex was only 4 weeks under the 12/12 schedule. It turns out i got one of each. The male was much more tall than the female and i was sad to toss it :(
    But, i dont want seeds.
    I might also add a couple more cfls just for flowering. Im not sure yet. I really want to see how this little plant does with what i have. Its only about 4" tall. The male was about 7". Big difference! Its going to produce less than a gram i feel. Lol. But hey this is just for fun[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. [​IMG]Tight node spacing!

15. Awesome mate! I thought you gave up on this but glad to see you're going through with it. Are you just using the 1 light right now? That's a nice little guy for the 1 light, impressive! Keep it up

16. Lol! I know its tiny! Hahaha... yea just the one light. Its a 65w 2700k cfl. I had big plans to really blast the light on this one but my finances cant bare it right now. This is more or less a trial run. I want to see how big itll get in the small container its in. And how much itll produce with the one light. After its all said and done i can gauge everything for a proper grow. Id like to use more lights and actually get some good nutes and soil. Hey if it produces enough for a bowl ill be happy. I wish i had room and money to put into it, but ill make do with what i have right now.
    ...i really dont have room for a 2' plant, so this is working out well

17. Thanks for your kind words! I lov hat ya got goin on here.! Some experimental type shit! An it's awesome. Good to see what this plant is capable of!  Can't wait to see the buds form on that thing. Not bad size at all.. Specially with one light.. 

18. if this works!

19. Ok so i thought i would add a 23w cfl. But it literally makes no visible difference. So i was wondering if it would help at all..[​IMG][​IMG]with/without