Mick's Coco - K.I.S.S. - Scrog Method

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by MickFoster, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Great information!

Pena at the grow shop says she only uses coco so we decided to try it. I am so glad I read your article. I was going to treat like soil. This will be my second grow and the first was organic soil.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Good luck to you. :thumbsup:

3. Was reading through your post again and have a question.... do you use Silica Blast and SM-90 from start to finish for every feed?

4. Hey Roccus - yes I use both all the way through. It isn't necessary to follow it to the letter - it's just what I do. I'm sure that not using those all the way through the grow would be fine. The thread is intended to give people a basic understanding of how to grow in coco successfully. One can certainly have success with other nutes and other grow methods.

I read in one of the threads that you were going to do a coco run. Good luck. :thumbsup:

5. Thanks Mick.. one more question does the silica blast or sm90 have a lot of salt??

BTW I am doing a coco run now 8 weeks in flower but I used cana and other stuff for nutes had problems and when you use many ingredients for your soup it is harder to figure out which one may be causing the problem..... I want to go with k.i.s.s. next grow and will use your way for next grow only thing is I have auto fem seeds so hope there will not be much difference My first grow set up Full journal grow

6. I believe that the Silica Blast has sodium in it but the SM90 does not. But I could be wrong. The KISS thing is not mine - I just use it for simplicity, cost effectiveness, and good results. All my grows are not problem free by any means, but it has always been pH problems causing a few spots or a few crinkles here and there - nothing major. I wish you luck.

7. Hi Mike,

Great thread. I did a similar build for my scrog in my 2x2 tent (see below), but now have a 5x5 tent and am needing to build a bigger scrog net with the pvc. Question - any reason for the cross bars? Why not just have the outside pvc bars with one large net? Does that make sense? In other words, any reasoning for diving the scrog net into 4 sections?

Here’s a pic of my first scrog last grow

[​IMG]

Second grow - 2x NYC Diesel (soon to be 3) in 5x5x6.5 tent

8. Hey James, your grow looks great - good job man. The reason for the crossbars is because I pull the lines extremely tight and without them the sides would bow in from the tension. I am OCD with some things and a bowed side would drive me nuts every time I looked at it. It doesn't cause any problems with the scrog and gives each plant their own area. I always have a tendency to over-build. Lol. Good luck with your new grow. :)

9. Thanks Mike. Gotcha, makes sense! I may have to do the same if i choose to go this route for my 5x5, the bars will be more flexible if they are a lot longer. Thanks for the advice!

Second grow - 2x NYC Diesel (soon to be 3) in 5x5x6.5 tent

10. Very nice mick

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. Hey mick, I was just getting ready to post a question but maybe you're the guy to ask I have 5 hempy buckets in a holding pattern waiting and I've been in this situation a few times already what do you do to keep the Coco from getting funky or rancid when it's in a holding pattern waiting for seedlings to catch up. The bottom doesn't have any water in the reservoir yet (remember there Hempys) but I'm keeping the Coco moist. Not meaning to hijack but I appreciate good quality people who have the knowledge. My other issue I'm having early on this run is there are 2 gallon him please and I've never grown hempys that small before the reason is because I thought I was going to put auto flowers in them turns out I can't trust where I got the beans from. So I'm stuck with wonder women fems but have 5 Hempys that are going in 2 gal. I hope thats not too small.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    I have recharge (dude grows show) tea.
    Biocozyme
    Hydroguard
    And other Nonrelative nutrients

12. Hey Sickomindo. I have run hempys before but I used a perlite/vermiculite mix. I don't mix up a coco/perlite mix for my final container until I'm ready to transplant from my propagation container, so I can't really say how long it can stay in a holding pattern. If you're concerned, why don't you just run 1/4 strength nutes, pH'd to 6.0, through it every few days to keep everything fresh. As far as the 2 gallon container - as long as you make sure fresh nutes are available to the plants at all times by feeding multiple times a day when in flower, you should be ok. Good luck. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. hows it going mick?

14. I'm good man. :) I'm 6 weeks into my yearly grow. How about you?

15. im good man. about 7 and a half weeks in to flower on my first coco run

16. Good question about the Coco.

Nice setup.

BigBigToeGrows

17. Hey Mick, could you give me a list of how much you add per gallon of water throughout the growth from sprout to harvest? I’m going to try and mimic your way of growing since yours seems the most reliable. I was trying the growweedeasy.com guide but people keep telling me contradictory things about this and yours seems pretty straightforward. How much of maxibloom, silica blast, and sm-90 do you use per gallon for each stage? thanks a lot!

18. #138 MickFoster, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    1/4 tsp of MaxiBloom, 2 ml SM-90, 2 ml Silica Blast for the first 10 to 14 days. 1/2 tsp of MaxiBloom, 2ml sm-90, 2ml Silica Blast for another 10 days, and 1 tsp of MaxiBloom, 2ml sm-90, 2ml Silica Blast around 3-4 weeks from sprout. You have to read your plants - if you get tip burn, dial it back a bit - not all plants are the same. Hope that helps. :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. I followed your method fairly closely and had good results. 8.5 ounces dry in 75 days seed to scissors from Canuck seeds OG Kush auto. I made a lot of mistakes but also learned a ton. I think I could almost double that production with the same genetics.
    For others following the KISS method I will add my one bit of streamlining... I mix 4 gallons (or other UoM) at a time at full strength. Only full strength, whatever that may be. One mixture, one process, one schedule. If I want 1/4 strength, for example, I pour 1 gallon of my full strength solution into another 5-gallon bucket, add 3 gallons of water and adjust ph. If I want 1/2 strength, pour 2 gallons full strength solution into the bucket and top it off with 2 gallons water, adjust ph and feed your plants. The key is that I only need to remember one mix for the entire cycle, it’s almost automatic.

20. #140 MickFoster, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    I agree that can work. :) I just find it easier to use a 1/4tsp, 1/2tsp or 1tsp depending on nute strength required. The pH would still have to be adjusted, plus I never use 1/4 or 1/2 strength on the silica and sm-90, and using your method would reduce the strength of those as well. Thanks for the input. :)