Mick's Coco - K.I.S.S. - Scrog Method

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by MickFoster, Apr 24, 2017.

1. This thread is internet gold..:thankyou:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Thanks for the kind words. Like everybody that has grown, I went through failures until I got it right, and I just wanted to help growers that are considering growing in coco.

• Like Like x 5
  3. That was a fantastic thread. Simple and to the point with your instructions. Great looking colas too btw. What would you say your overall height of the plants ended up to be? I have a 4x8x7 tent and was figuring on 2 months of veg then flip . I think I'll be lucky to have 6ft of room from floor to lights ( 2x 1000w 8" air cooled) would you say 2months of veg time for a 100% dative strain is to much?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. Thanks for the compliment. My overall height from the top of the pots to the tops of the colas is about 20" - 8" under the net and about 12" of growth above the net. I only veg for 5 weeks before I flip and have no problem yielding a 1/2 pound per plant under a 650w LED. My tent is only 78" in height and before I ran a scrog I always ran out room, plus the light penetration is better with a scrog. Before I scrogged I was lucky to get 3 oz. per plant, now I get 8 oz.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Too much veg....nope. As long as you have the space for them. My grow area is similar in size to yours. 6x8x8. My screen is 5x7 with two plants. I vegged for 80 days. My screen is nearly full. One plant approx 3.5' x 4.5 the other, 3.5x4. @ 24 days of flower almost all my tops are all between 5-7 inch above the screen. My 15 gal pots are on a 16" plastic shelf and my screen is about 6" above the pot, screen is about 3 1/2' from the floor. I will have plenty of vertical space for growth.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Great job, to the point and simple to understand. I haven't tried coco, but after that, maybe next grow. Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  7. You're very welcome! I've ran coco a few times, I love it. But I would like to grow fewer plants in the space in given so I think I'll do 4 in the 4x8 with a scrim technique to utilize the headroom I have. I figure I'll veg for 5 weeks, see how big they are. I must pay attention to the stretch of each strain I'd like a completely even canopy so I can utilize the lights 100% I'm going to be growing a sativa, 2 hybrid , and one indica. So hopefully I can keep them uniform. Thanks for the info guys! Happy growing

• Like Like x 2
  8. Great post , it answered my question on when to stop tucking in the scrog ( 3rd week of flowering) one question though my scrog is on a balcony so I am constrained to the dimensions of the balcony . My scrog is longer then it is wide . I had to leave some space to get to the furthest corner container . I have a few side shoots that so far do not reach the top of the scrog , but are shooting out side ways so that they are not under the scrog and still getting sun, is it ok to leave them to grow ? im just starting to flower probably 1st week I think ( 1st grow)

9. As long as they are getting light then I would let them grow - if it appears that they will not make it to the canopy, you can cut them off.

• Like Like x 1
  10. What a great informative thread love it man I'm currently growing in coco and I'm having what appears to be a Cal or mag deficiency...do you think it's possibly due to pH my water to 5.8? I think I'll try 6.0 to see how it goes your plants look so damn healthy awesome job bro.

First grow

11. Thanks. I have found 6.0 works best for nutrient uptake. What is the pH of your run off? Are you using r/o? If so you will need cal/mag. Good Luck.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Haven't tested my runoff pH in awhile, I'm using tap water but i usually let it bubble awhile to get some chlorine out

First grow

13. Are you sure you have chlorine? About 1/2 the country uses chloramine to purify their water.

14. Where I live they use lots..especially in the summer to combat algae they use extra. When I take a shower i can actually smell chlorine. I don't know if they add the other chemical or not that makes it chloramine...would it have the same smell?

First grow

15. No. But you're always safe to let it sit out for 24hrs to be safe. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Great info... I am planing my first grow, I decided to use coco as from what I have read you get larger faster yields than with soil. I have 2 orders of seeds on the way the first ones that will arrive will be from canada they are fem auto seeds and the other are just regular fen seeds from NL. I head read that auto seeds have a faster from seed to harvest time.. I would like to have my first harvest for the holidays so I think I will use the autos. Have you done any autos with coco? I am thinking of using the cana coco A+B I have a 3 X 3 tent with 2 300 W led lights and have well water not city water.

Some have said coco is hard and I should start with soil and others say autos are hard to grow yoy can get a lot of problems with them.. you have any input on this??

17. #37 MickFoster, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    I have done a couple autos with coco with good results - even though most people say don't transplant, I did it with no problem or slowdown in growth. Coco is only hard if you treat it like soil and don't use coco specific nutes. I don't think autos are a good way to start for most beginners because new growers make mistakes usually which slows down growth and decreases yield. Not all new growers have problems, but most do, including myself when I started.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Nick, after seeing pics of your plants and all the good advice you give, I'm strongly considering trying coco on my next grow. Would you recommend it to someone even it's their third grow? I definately am no expert, but I feel I have the basics down and have a good understanding of what the plant needs and when. And of course this thread halos a lot too. What do you think?

19. #40 MickFoster, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    I'm no expert either man. I think growing in coco is simple for any level of grower as long as you don't treat it like soil and have the time to feed daily. Good luck and if you have questions I'll do my best to help.

• Like Like x 2