Mick's Coco - K.I.S.S. - Scrog Method

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by MickFoster, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Yeah I don't see why not too.. As long as it's all dissolved it's going to be fine I'd imagine. I do want to run 1 or 2 drops of bleach in the system to keep it sterile though.

2. Stupid question alert:
    What does dwc stand for?

3. Deep Water Culture.
    Letting the roots dangle in the nutrients, with airstones and/or falling water to oxygenate.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thank you

5. I have personally not been successful with MB in hydro systems. I prefer 3 part in hydro.

6. but I could have been having other issues with the system at the time since I've heard of others using it.

7. I have decided not to try the Maxibloom in a Recirculating DWC due to so many comments about having issues with dissolving it without using some hot water and even then sometimes the dye crystals remain. I'll prepare the lucas formula with the standard General Hydroponics three part instead.
    The other issue was that the root health product recommended in the formula here is a beneficial and I'll be trying to run a sterile root zone. This method looks so simple though, I'm bound to try it sometime.

8. no such thing:
    7 Facts That Will Make You Rethink the "Sterility" of Hydroponics

well.. maybe, if u got a recirculating uvc and bleach, but why do that anyhow? the research shows that beneficial organisms increase yield, terpenes, cannabinoids. Science papers validate, for one, Mammoth P. And you know the next bestest reason? If you get root rot at week 5 flower, imma kick you.

• Like Like x 2
  9. I plan to do it because of experience I guess. I've not inoculated my root zone before, but I have had nasty brown and rotting roots before and had to bathe roots in H2O2 twice during one grow. Once in veg then again in flower. It's awful to have to basically do a complete tear down and sanitizing job in the middle of flowering. Hard physically too especially now that I'm disabled and having a hard time just setting things up to begin with.
    In short, I just don't think I will get through a grow without root problems if I don't try to recicirulate a drop of bleach in there to keep the bad guys at bay. I mean, I do my best with sanitizing and careful cleaning, avoiding scratching the plastic and so forth. I home brew too so am familiar with careful sanitizing of gear. But I simply need to be SURE I'm not going to need to tear down, re-clean then turn to bleach anyway if I try a living root zone environment that loses out to rot in the long run. I'm not needing to get record setting colas. I get high from leaf so not after the strongest THC either. I'm after the most hassle-free setup but need to be economical and use gear I already have. I think that leaves me using a semi-sterile root zone in my old DWC stuff. Maybe next time I'll try the method described here.on page 1.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I think you'll do a lot better with beneficial microbes than constantly trying to fight to keep your system sterile. It's an up hill battle, that's the nature of life in this world. Bacteria are everywhere and we've evolved to live with them....we NEED them. We would die if they all dissapeared. This goes for cannabis too.
    If you've fighting root rot, you need to get to the cause, not just fight the symptoms. What is making your root zone a hospitable place for those bad bacteria to make it their home? Adding bleach or H2O2 will kill the bacteria...good and bad, and isn't that great for your roots either. And it's not addressing the root cause of the issue, so you'll have to battle it the entire time. I'm not an expert at DWC, but I do have some experience. The two things that I think you should look into are light leaks and water temp.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I'm certainly not contesting the reality of life and the world and I appreciate the sentiment of growing in ideal circumstances. Right now I have actual physical and other constraints.
    I'm not closed to the idea but I am pressed to get this together soon so if you know a link to a good formula for RDWC as you describe, I'm all eyes and ears with many thanks. I'm off to read a local water quality report to see what I am dealing with here.

12. I grew a 6’ tomato bush in a white DWC bucket during the 90 plus temps mid summer. I only used a couple drops of bleach every few days. The thing was huge and drinking a full bucket every day. I killed it because it was too needy and who wants to eat chemically grown tomatoes when organically grown is on the porch? But as an experiment, that thing should have been killed by some sort of pathogen in that time. There was algae growing in there periodically, up at the top where the water didn’t touch

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  13. I did RDWC with bubble buckets and used Maxibloom and it worked great. I used tap and found that maxibloom stabilized around the right ph everytime so I would just add water and add the appropriate amount of maxibloom into the reservoir and let it circulate to mix.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Hey Mick, how do *you* add KoolBloom now that you've added it to your grows?

15. I start with 1ml per gal of liquid KoolBloom at the beginning of flower, 2ml at 6 weeks of flower, 1/4tsp dry KoolBloom for the last 2 weeks for ripening.

I basically follow this:

Attached Files:

16. Ive been wondering about coco nutrients? Are they necessary? Ive been using a mix of things over the last couple years, ckickin poo, ewc, cheep grow nutes. Micro/ calmag. Even have flower fuel. Now ill have maxibloom!! I have to say this journal is amazing. Fox farms seems to work fine. Idk even organics seem to work. Are bioavailable nutes good enough? How does the maxibloom effect your ph?

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. I appreciate the compliment brother.

I have no experience with any of the products you mentioned except MaxiBloom so I can't comment on them. I've never used anything but GH products......Maxi Series, Flora Series, and FloraNova Series......I prefer the MaxiBloom.

If I add 1/2 tsp of MaxiBloom to a gallon of my tap water, I have to add .75ml of pH down to get a 6.0 pH. Yours could be different because tap water pH varies.

I mix my MaxiBloom in a 20oz. soda bottle filled with hot water and shake the shit out of it so it gets dissolved.

Hope that helps. :)

• Like Like x 3
  18. Im sure it will. I need to flower this. Growing way to fast but thats good! Have a great night!! 20200211_004942.jpg

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  19. Do you reduce the Maxibloom when you add the Koolbloom? That feeding chart has all sorts of other stuff on it

20. I just use that chart as a guideline.......I don't use all those additives.
    This grow I only used 1/3 tsp of MaxiBloom per gallon throughout and Armor Si.
    I don't reduce the MaxiBloom......I just add the KoolBloom when in flower.

• Like Like x 1