Mick's Coco - K.I.S.S. - Scrog Method

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by MickFoster, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Thank you for posting this. I am in week 4 flower and am finding too much Nitrogen. Had to pull back everything, but after I read your instructions, I think I will start up with KB (tomorrow).

• Like Like x 1
  2. I wasn't using KoolBloom when I did this grow.....but I started using it last year and it's great for ripening. I can't remember who on GC recommended it.....but thanks to him/her.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hello Mick I posted here on your thread about a year or so ago I was trying it. I to am pleased with the results. All I did was take your method and perfect it to what works for me. But you deserve the credit to get me on track without all the hype to decent successful grows. Anyone who asks me best way to start I send them the link to this thread.

4. Start easy on the koolbloom. It is a powerful nute, I increase the amount in my mix over time as the flowers mature while cutting back on the maxibloom, by the time I get to the last 3 or 4 weeks I feed them just the koolbloom along with the calmag, sm90, and silica. The last couple grows I also tried adding a molasseses type additive the last few weeks... I can't say that made any difference from not using it. BTW so far my absolute favorite strain I have grown so far is Grand Daddy Purple, it is incredible though it does not give big yields, I have another one of those going right now along with a new one for me called Red Dragon.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks brother. :thankyou:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. So I tried adding KB to my coco plant. The plant is pretty big and was receiving 2 tsp of MB per 3 gal of tap water (440EC). Even at that strength the plant was showing N tox (but maybe it was heat). I added 1tsp KB and 1tsp MB for 5 day transition and then went on to 2 tsp KB per 3 gal tap.
    Well, that was too much I think, since the plant started hermi'n and EC was coming out at 2000+. I backed off to 1tsp KB + calnesium per 3 gal. She doesn't look right to me. It maybe getting too hot, or maybe I overcrowded her.
    Have a look and tell me what you think.
    upload_2019-12-15_13-40-47.png
    the tops are curling over, premature ripening (7 weeks in a 10 week strain),
    here's more pics of curling over buds...
    upload_2019-12-15_13-42-7.png
    upload_2019-12-15_13-42-24.png

I have no control plant, but I have two other of the same strain in hydro and they aren't doing that.
    ANyhow, planning on leaving it on 1tsp KB + calmag per 3 gal until harvest.

Another thing, I been needing to add the solution at ~pH 7.0 to counter the highly acidic runoff. By doing this, I'm maintaining ~5.7 runoff. If I fed at 6.0 the pH would crash.

Maybe I should just harvest this plant and turn it to oil? idk.

7. I'm no expert at diagnosing plant problems brother and I haven't experienced the problem you describe.
    But based on the pics, your plant is foxtailing, indicating a possible heat issue or stress. Also the leaf margins and tips are brown indicating a possible over feeding.

When I have issues I flush with 1/4 strength nutes until the ppm and pH of the run off is in an acceptable range. 2000 ppm's is way high.

Like I said, I'm no plant expert. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I was trying the KoolBloom and relating results. The plant will be what it is, its kinda big, so no real complaints. The 2000 ppm is not ppm, its 1000ppm, which is ok, but the plant only gets ~500ppm atm. I do agree that the heat has been a little high, but not so much. Its hit 29C a few times, but mostly its 25C in the room; I had a heat register that I recently closed. Maybe this is partly light stress too though. idk its ok.

9. Mick, What if anything would you change to accommodate autos? Sorry if this was already addressed, this thread is 17 pages long. A testament to your good advice.

10. I'm no auto expert......I have only grown a few autos in my life and I fed them exactly the same with good results.
    Maybe an auto guy can chime in. :)

11. Would you prefer this fertilizer over maxibloom?I want to use it for my next aeroponic growth.It's cheaper for me than maxibloom.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. I've had no luck using Maxibloom in hydro/aero. Three part flora (or similar) is what I use (actually Holland's Secret is what I'm on now). Although I've never tried it, I would use that flora before trying maxibloom again. I will instead try Lucas formula next.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I think to grow by using Lucas formula with this flora. Seems to be the easiest way. 8ml per gallon.Is there another root booster I should use with this flora? Or should I just use it?

14. idk. When I said Flora, I meant 3-part Flora series. I have not tried the flora you have there. There are rooting products, but I doubt u will need them. Rapid Start is one such product.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I have used the FloraNova Bloom before and it does a good job, but I prefer MaxiBloom personally. All the products by GH are good qualilty.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ‘You never water coco with plain water - it's always feeding time...’

Well fackkkkkkkk I’m doing this wrong. But then again I’m doing so much wrong that this just adds to the list.

17. Can I help?

18. Just keep posting and I’ll take mental notes, as I’ve been doing since I found this place. :thankyou:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Do you think your nutrient formula would be OK for a recirculating dwc system? I need to choose my nutrients ASAP and would like a nice simple formula at a budget price. I'd like to go with tap water this time around so the maxibloom has it's appeal. Any advice?

20. I don't see why not......maybe a dwc grower can chime in and confirm.

• Like Like x 1