michrobes failed to stop pythium

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by chopficaro, Jan 11, 2017.

1. I have been posting a lot about rising pH problems. I found that the cause was that I yet AGAIN had some root rot. It wasn't nearly as bad as before. The equipment was very slimy, but it did not smell. The roots were only a little brown. I can not understand why this happened. I have replaced all of the equipment including the reservoir, channel, tube and pump. The channel and res were completely dark and very well light sealed. The res temp was at optimum oxygen solubility temperature 68F. I had dosed it many times with Hydroguard beneficial microbes. Perhaps the microbes helped a little and that is why it was not as bad this time, but I have taken every precaution I can think of to stop Pythium and I still got it. I have yet again changed the res and replaced all of the equipment, washed the roots, and I have switched from Hydroguard to H2O2. I have applied a full dose of H2O2 to the res and I will be applying a 1/3 dose every day from now on. I am not satisfied at all with this because everything I have read indicates that microbes are a much better way of dealing with Pythium than H2O2, and also have lots of other benefits that I will now be missing out on. Thanks for all your guys help and cross your fingers for me this time!

2. Use enzymes too

• Like Like x 1
  3. I don't know where you came up with 68 deg F being the optimum.

go here and read this:

Simply Hydroponics - Nutrient Temp

I run my rig at 63 deg F and would like to run lower, but I hit the dew point and then I get condensation pools under the plumbing.

I know of some indoor growers who run at 58 deg F.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wow what a great article! Whoever wrote this really knows his stuff. Thanks! Also, hydroguard is Bacillus Amyloliquefaciens rather than the more common Bacillus Subtilis, they say it is superior. I don't believe them. What microbes do you use?

5. Simply Hydroponics - Nutrient Temp

Dr Lynette Morgan is the Director of Research at SUNTEC International Hydroponic Consultants, based in Manawatu, New Zealand. Great oxygenation piece for hydroponic tomatoes and other hydro veggies.

I Googled “ Dr. Lynette Morgan, hydroponic marijuana growing “, sadly I found nothing in Google.

She does not confirm nor state the minimal safe DO requirements necessary to insure optimal plant and microbial health in hydroponic pot grows.

Her expertise is hydroponic tomatoes and other hydroponic veggies, not growing hydroponic marijuana, no disrespect intended.

For a moment, let’s assume and imply that hydroponic tomato oxygen requirements and hydroponic pot growing are the same. Dr. Morgan, “ … a healthy plant is the best measure of protection against a disease outbreak. About the oxygen requirement of plants when in flower...its not always the case that plants require more oxygen because they are in flower, a plants oxygen requirement is linked to the size of the root system, temperature and nutrient uptake rates, rather than the presence of flowering. Since plants such as tomatoes tend to have a rapidly developing root system at the time of flowering, it's important to maintain adequate oxygen levels. With tomatoes, the requirement of oxygen in the root zone increases gradually up until the time of maximum fruit load and rapid fruit expansion, where the high rates of nutrient uptake increase the oxygen requirement quite dramatically. On the other hand, if oxygen is deficient during flowering, then the flowers and subsequent fruit may drop off as a result, or they may be undersized and may fail to pollinate.

The best preventative measure against Pythium attack is a healthy, rapidly growing plant as this is an opportunist pathogen and will enter at the site of tissue injury or if the plants are overly succulent, weakened or stressed for some reason.

UV light, hydrogen peroxide and ozone have also been used to kill Pythium spores in the solution, however these can have major effects on some of the nutrient elements in solution and careful consideration should be given before using these methods. Sterilization of the water supply with these methods, before nutrient are added however, is effective at reducing or eliminating Pythium from the original water supply.

A word about using Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) and Ozone (O3) as a bactericidal / fungicidal agent and to increase the dissolved oxygen in res water. This chemical kills beneficial microbes you bought too. You will have to buy more bugs, if you want good bugs in your roots.

Dr. Morgan (Hydroponics University) references Mr. Oxygen – Ed McCabe, Home of Oxygen and Ozone Therapies Mr. Oxygen Ed McCabe - Natural Health - Natural Detoxification - OxygenHealth.com i.e. Hydrogen Peroxide Hydrogen Peroxide - What's it all about?

*Check out Mr. Oxygen, impressive opinions about oxygen/oxygenation. Home Page - Mr Oxygen He's cool.