Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Michigan... What's Next?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by theVirtuoso, Nov 6, 2008.

1. So, with Prop 1 recently passing and soon to be in effect what is everyone's thoughts on where this will lead to next?

A more liberal MMJ program?

or possibly

State-wide decriminalization?

As long as I can remember Michigan, although not written in law, has been understanding of cannabis' medicinal benefits to those with debilitating diseases, but beyond that pretty stern on the idea it was meant for nothing else (although everyone seems to toke).

So I'm leaning more towards decriminalization before we break down the current restrictions in Prop 1. I just see Michigan's residents being more understanding of not prosecuting someone just for smoking a little weed over someone telling them cannabis can be used to treat things such as ADHD, Bipolar Disorder, Depression, or even Migraines and obviously so much more... not to mention the ability to cure many cancers.

Remember... Prop 1 is only a step towards the ultimate goal.

Your thoughts?

2. a step in cali's direction.

3. could we make a detour to indy real quick, then back to cali, cali is way more chill already, more so than indy in terms of legality

:hello::smoking:

4. I really hope for the best for your state guys. Because in all honestly I think what's next is nothing but a federal stampede on what you guys clearly voted for. Stay strong, it's gonna be tough.

5. Sure they will come, but I don't see them causing too many problems. Being #13 MI is obviously the hot topic with Medical Marijuana, but due to the circumstances of the law passed it doesn't give the DEA much to target.

Who wants to see an elderly women getting slapped around by a bunch of feds just because she uses cannabis to help her glaucoma, or how about someone suffering from Multiple Sclerosis, Cancer, or HIV/AIDS? That's not very news-worthy.

It makes it much more difficult for them to look like they're doing what's right. I could think of countless people who don't agree with the use of cannabis, medicinal or recreational, but they would much rather see their money funding the prosecution of real criminals. Basically what I'm saying is they would have such great difficulty labeling the majority of these patients as criminals simply because of their appearance.

They're going to have to be picky with who they choose to target. Has to be a story they can manipulate to make it seem as though it was some form of dealing operation. A patient with an image that isn't so sickly to label a criminal to ensure people don't question the motives behind the arrests.

Of course only time will tell. I'm merely making assumptions.

6. very true the DEA won't get into MI mmj until the law is revised and it's simliar to cali's corupt mmj patients.

7. Here's a link to the MI MMJ Act for anyone interested in reading up on it:
    http://stoparrestingpatients.org/initiative

Well, the Act states that the State of MI has 120 days to enact a registration process. They now have to determine the cost of applications to offset the cost of running the program. If within 140 days of the effective date (which I assume is November 4th, 2008) they fail to have the card system in place, a notarized recommendation from your doctor will be your "card."

I think patience is going to be a virtue in any state that adopts new MMJ laws. Seems like sometimes they drag their feet. (Nevada, for example.) Read up on the Act so that you can be in compliance as soon as possible.

Seems like many states and even counties are interested in utilizing their law enforcement to go after "real" criminals. A county in Arkansas just voted to make MJ law enforcement its "lowest priority." The south is pretty conservative, so I think the tide is turning in a favorable direction. Hopefully there will be a paradigm shift from the top down with the new Obama administration. Public opinion seems to be strong and getting stronger that MJ is NOT the root cause of societal ills like the DEA would like them to believe.