Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Michigan officials oppose proposed law.

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by peanutbutter, Jan 28, 2010.

1. State health agency opposes bills to restrict medical marijuana « Michigan Messenger

State health agency opposes bills to restrict medical marijuana

\t\t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\tBy Eartha Jane Melzer 1/21/10 4:34 PM \t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG] [​IMG] \t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t
    \t\t[​IMG]The department in charge of administering the state's medical marijuana program has come out in opposition to a package of bills that would change the program adopted via ballot measure in 2008.
    Under the current program, people with qualifying medical conditions can register with the state and receive authorization to possess and grow a limited amount of marijuana for personal use. Legislation taken up by the Senate Judiciary Committee this week would change the public health code to reclassify medical marijuana as a schedule 2 controlled substance and require that it be dispensed exclusively by pharmacists.
    The plan presents some legal problems, Michigan Department of Community Health spokesman James McCurtis said in an e-mailed statement detailing concerns about the legislation, “Marijuana is a schedule 1 controlled substance under federal law. States do not have the authority to reschedule controlled substances to a lower level.”
    The Senate bills could also create unwelcome new responsibilities for MDCH, he said.
    “Requiring physicians and pharmacies to prescribe and dispense marihuana would put their licenses at risk, something DCH would be in a position to have to discipline them for.”
    McCurtis said that MDCH also opposes provisions that would require intensive regulation and expensive new permits for growers of medical marijuana, though he added, “We do recognize the problems with having more than 10,000 individual growers throughout the state that neither state or local government can regulate in any way.”
    According to a blogged transcript of the hearing by Michigan Medical Marijuana Association director Greg Francisco, several medical marijuana users testified at the hearing and over 120 people attended.

2. Do you think it will pass? I do not b/c it would go completely against federal law and pharmacists & Doctor alike would be in violation of Federal law placing them at risk.

I do agree with permits and regulations on the growers, it would keep things more in line and lesson the chances of Federal intervention.

3. The real solution is for the federal government to get in agreement with the people of the US.

4. Yes, I agree. So far every state that has placed medical marijuana on the ballot has passed it, I think this speaks for itself. The Federal Gov't needs to see that most American's want the right of choice here.

5. I think that agencies of the government should be prohibited from commenting on any proposed legislation. I like MDCH's opinion in this particular case but feel in general that the only comments should be made by the citizens. What is next, endorsing candidates?

6. I highly doubt these bills will ever make it out of committee. And if they do, there's too many hurdles to jump through. They would have to make it through the democrat controlled house, which won't happen and it would have to get Jenny's signature, which probably won't happen either.

There was a committee discussion on these bills a few weeks ago, a handful of written testimonials were prepared for the Judiciary committee that were all in opposition to these bills, including one from a Lutheran Minister.

The bills are Michigan Senate Bill 616, 617, and 618. Although 616 is the one with the most meat in it, the others just change some other documents to go along with it.

Read it @ Michigan Legislature - Senate Bill 0616 (2009)