Michelle Obama on Deciding What Kids Eat: ‘We Can’t Just Leave it Up to The Parents'

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dronetek, Dec 14, 2010.

1. From the horses mouth:

Michelle Obama on Deciding What Kids Eat:

We better get our heads out of our collective asses, before its too late.

2. It takes a village to raise a child.

It's not just parents who have to deal with kids all day. Teachers, coaches, child care centers, other parents... all have to deal with your kids too. When they have to deal with your sugared up, hyperactive, overweight little brats, they too should have a say in what they are fed during the day.

Don't want other people having a say in your child's diet? Homeschooling is always an option.

3. That's a weak argument. If they don't want to deal with my little brats, they should get another job. My rights to feed my child what I think is appropriate for him comes before teachers rights to not be annoyed by my little brat.

4. Here's a newsflash for you... unless you plan on locking your child in a dungeon until he turns 18, other people WILL have a say over what he/she eats.

Expecting the entire world to bend over and quit their jobs so you can feed your precious little snowflake whatever you want to, is (to put it bluntly) retarded.

5. The Federal Government is going to regulate what every kid in the nation eats. That's such a ridiculous thing to even say. Shouldn't that be one of the powers given to the states or people as laid out in the 9th (10th?) amendment?:cool:

6. Your mistake is thinking this will be limited to kids with school lunches. Listen to what Queen Obama said.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KVg_F-rz-I]YouTube - Michelle Obama on Deciding What Kids Eat: 'We Can't Just Leave it Up to The Parents'[/ame]

Come on, that doesn't send a bit of a chill up your spine? Doesn't your mind start to wonder about things like government run health care and the power it will gain over the population? Namely, the poor?

You're a pot smoker, posting on a pot forum and I have to ask you these questions? Whats going on here?

7. #7 SouthrnSmoke, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2010
    Those teachers get paid well (very well in some places with unions and tenure) to deal with our kids.

Got something against people being overweight? How does a kid being over weight a detriment to a teachers ability to teach?

"It takes a village to raise a kid" is a weak way to try and justify yet another inch of our freedoms being taken away.

One last edit. Why the FUCK is Michele on stage making this statement while the man that was elected as president sits there and looks retarded. I don't really give half a shit what she says. I want to know what our president wants to do.

8. Other people have to "deal" with my child, so they should get to decide what he/she eats? First of all, the people you mention wouldn't be the ones to decide what your kid eats; some moonbat like Pelosi would. Secondly, WE have to deal with YOUR hatred of individual liberties. Maybe the government should be able to censor what you say on the web? I'm sure they wouldn't try to pass legislation like THAT though...;)

Just out of curiosity...are you ok with a teacher spanking your child at school?

9. I think they should start by looking at what they serve in school cafeterias.

10. What a train-wreck.

11. if "they" have a reason to beleive that the diet a parent provides is endangering their childs life, then they have the right to call child welfare or something. Other than that, the gov't, teachers, coaches etc.. should have absolutely no say in what a parent feeds their children.

This is the same group of people that feed school children steroid, and antibiotic laden meats and dairy, and they want parents to not feed kids chocolate cake?

wtf?

12. this..

13. There was a similar movement in B.C. to try to reduce the amount of unhealthy foods eaten by kids. All they did really was put a special logo on foods that were healthy and removed trans fats from cafeterias (although you can still buy burgers and junk food:rolleyes:). What's ironic is that a salad costs more than a burger lol.

14. Lol, what? I didn't watch the video at first, but how do you take that as not being limited to school lunches? Power over the population? Give me a break Glenn Beck. Her whole argument was based on the fact that "kids spend so much of their time in school", "kids get over half of their calories in school". This is clearly focused on food being served in school cafeterias. Where in there does she lead you to believe anything but that?

15. I'm confused :confused:

What about this changes anything about our rights? School lunches and shit have always been provided under regulations that tell schools what to serve.

Or am I wrong?

I mean, the public school has to serve food. All they are doing is changing what kinds of food. Since it is a public school, the government does have the right to regulate what gets served, lol.

EDIT: Upon second thought, this does seem like an issue to be left to states.

16. It does seem like an issue better left to states. But having said that, something has got to be done about the shit they call food in school cafeterias.

17. Something I agree with you on.......:D

18. O....K....., two cents coming up!

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but when I send my son to school with a lunch, the teachers of that school will either let him eat it or they will face the largest "civil" disturbance I can legally get away with!

My son is 11, in 5th grade, a member of our districts GATE program, leads his class(and has for 3 years) in math, reading and science. He hates history/civics so far. That being said, I'm at very least not doing anything to harm him. Do I let him have an occasional Mt Dew? Yes(not before school or anything that I want him to focus on;)). Do I send him a cookie for dessert against the printed and enforced policy? Yes. Do I sent a healthy lunch? Yes, but not the gov'ts business. You simply have to stand up for yourself and make it clear you won't back down because of intimidation.

Another example of this is the locking of certain gates at school. I drop my son off and pick him up at the ONLY intersection surrounding the school that is 3-way instead of 4. It is the least busy intersection. The school decided that it would be a good idea to lock this gate and keep it locked because kids would sometimes walk through mud and track it into classrooms. I say you deal with those kids, not the whole school.

After asking that it be unlocked for pickup and drop-off and being told no, I began walking onto campus as school was being let out with my two friendly but still shitting dogs and walked my son to and from his classroom. When confronted by a teacher, I laughed and told her to unlock the gate. When confronted by the principal, I stated that I would be willing to come to an agreement regarding the situation:

1) I can keep walking my son to and from class with the dogs

2) They can unlock the gate and allow my son the safest, least busy access available

OR

3) They could sign an acceptance of liability stating that they will be 100% criminally and financially liable for any harm that comes to either myself or my son while going to or from school since they would not allow us to use the safe access that some engineer designed for the school.

Needless to say, the gate was unlocked the next morning and has remained open since. I don't enjoy being an ass, but am not afraid to do it when it comes to crap like this.