MH vs HPS veg

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ksac, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Is there a noticable difference when using a MH light vs. a HPS light for vegging? I know the spectrum of MH lights are more suited for vegging, but I've heard of people using HPS to veg. I've been considering a MH conversion bulb to use during veg instead of the HPS. Has anyone used a conversion bulb? Do they work as well as a regular MH light?

2. Just buy the HPS man.. i vegged my plant under my 400w HPS and it loves it!

3. Well I've never used a MH bulb in a MH ballast but the MH conversion bulbs work very well indeed. I'm sure a HPS would work fine straight through but I have very limited verticle space so anything to reduce space between nodes I'm all for.

4. i use a conversion ballast and it is great!!! i use mh durring veg cuz it makes em more bushy and then hps durring flower... now i use 2 hps and one MH durring flower but when u have just one ballast use hps for flower and then in the last two weeks of flower i switch back to mh cuz mh = more potency then hps and hps= more quantity then mh. so if you only get one light the conversion ballast is best! if you use a hps ONLY for veg and budd you will get lanky buds- i have read havent done a full grow in hps.