MH vs HPS Bulbs

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by radman60, Nov 10, 2010.

1. I agree with Philly, this all sounds like a steaming pile of misinformation. Another example of why you want to learn from experts and not from friends (or friendly strangers on message boards!). :wave:

It sounds like you are damned serious about this endeavor, so I suggest 3 things.

1) Get a copy of Jorge Cervante's book "Marijuana Horticulture". They call this book The Bible, and with good reason. It's probably the best $30 you will ever spend.
    2) Take a look on the torrent sites for Jorge Cervante's videos. These have a ton of practical useful information for beginners. The one you want is called "The Ultimate Grow vol. 1"
    3) you never said what you plan to do for power, but 10,000 watts is some serious shit. You're going to want to have a master electrician wire you up for 240v, and do it properly. You won't be doing yourself any favors if you burn down your barn with all of your lovely ladies inside. That would be a tragedy, just thinking about it makes me want to cry.

Again, best of luck!

2. #22 radman60, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2010
    Adam... LOL... I guarantee that I will not be torching them all at the same time...

I said I was going to torch up 3 maybe 4.

This is the reason why I thought I would start this thread in order to get pros and cons about running only the HPS lights for both stages of growth.. And yes I will be using an electrician to go over the current circuitry.. 240 has been recommended but I have also been told the that current plugs set up on the ballasts are for a 120 v system.. In any event my nephew is a 4th year apprentice and wires up schools and various other institutions so I'm pretty sure he will know what to do.. But then again he's a young buck so I may have to get second opinions :) :)

I'm 60 years old and have no want to play with fire any more than I already have to :)

3. as far as rewiring the ballest, a idiot can do it, i can do it. so thats a non issue. to get your power plugged at 220 is just less of a headache at the end of the day, i think some call it safer but to me its just that many less wires when hooking it all up.

also please note, the differnce from 1000 watts to 10000 is night and day, pretty much nothing you do to a 1k room will apply to a 10k watt room. commercial equipment cost much more upfront but in the end last forever and usally uses less power and actually does what its rated for.

as far as a master electrician, not needed really. most any one with a little experiance can knock out any sort grow room wiring till you hit genes, then it gets a bit harder but most this stuff is very basic.

4. imo shut up please

5. The last time I had a jolt of hydro shot through me was when I had a heart attack last Feb.. I ain't touching that shit.. :eek: .. Gonna let junior work it out.. If he wants some prime weed, he'll do the job right and I won't have to worry about the barn burning down :hello:

6. yea, the second i get into some thing that even makes me kinda think about it i call my electrical buddy. but for the most part all the stuff in what we do is first year electrical stuff. imo

7. lol.Hey I was curious how he was getting 5lbs. off a plant.I want some of those magic beans hes using then I only need to grow 1 plant a year.Saving me lots of grow time.By the way i better get some of that rain water that comes on a full moon for my magical beans,:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:Dlol:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:5 lbs. a plant,ganga guru:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: