MH vs. CFL for veg

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Enuff4All2Share, Apr 11, 2008.

1. i've vegged under both.. CFL's and MH. I like the CFL's better for the first 2 weeks they seem to stay lower and tighter. After that nothing compares to MH.

2. I definitely can agree with this as I did pretty much the same thing although it was about a month of veg under CFLs then I did 2 weeks under the CMH and they blew up very quickly. ;)

3. What did you find that the MH did for you? And what is the ultimate shape of your grow that the MH is condusive to? I found the CFL's gave me great growth (for a small wattage HID and some supplementarty CFL's in the flower room) to get an even canopy and short stocky plants. No extra feet of stem where no light would go. It was great for my try on a SOG. If I had a large wattage room to grow big full plants instead of trying to just get as much huddled around the small useful area as possible, a MH may be the way to go, perhaps?

E4A2S

4. Biggest draw back of the CFL is it can only penetrate about 5 inches or so efficiently so they have to be close to the plants and even some under the plants can help the undergrowth where as a HID has much more penetration with a 400watt going about a foo t or so efficiently and a 1000 watt going about 3 feet efficiently. Indoors in a perfect setup 1000watter are the way to go with supplemental lights around the sides using 400 or 600s. My dream setup would be a 1000watt HPS in the center surrounded by 400watt CMH lights on all four sides. ;) Now that would be killer.

5. I know this isnt the topic, but i need advise from experienced flouro growers. Im setting up for my first hydroponic grow, and im pretty set on use either flouro tubes or Cfl's. The efficiency and cost make fluorescents ideal for my op. Im growing in a small closet space(3x8x3) and need good veg light. My question is what type and wattage would be sufficient for my garden?