MH on hps ballast?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by deepgreensea, Dec 5, 2007.

1. i have the 1000w hps sun system 2 that came as a set with a reflector and a ballast . i also just picked up a 400 w mh and was thinking of using this for 24/7 veg because 1000 watts is overkill and more pricey and not needed for early veg.

my question is can the 400w mh work on the 1000 w mh ballast? the ballast says its rated"up to 1000 watts"

I know theres some kind of igniter or special fuse to get hps lights goin initially that is unique to ballasts used by hps lights

the light has been plug in and it seemed to be working fine, not flickering or acting oddly in anyway.

would continuing to use this bulb have any possible problems/ hazards?

2. I'm confused -- you started talking about a hps ballast then asked about using a MH ballast. Are you talking about two different ballasts?

Regardless, you should not use a MH bulb off a HPS ballast unless it is a MH conversion bulb. And you need to match wattages, don't try to use a 400w bulb in a 1000w ballast. Don't know why it would say "up to" 1000w, but it isn't made for varying wattage from 400 up to 1000.

3. Wouldn't that make the bulb explode? :eek:

4. yea i would have thought it would blow the bulb, and ive never seen a ballast that said up to 1000w, but what ever it cant be good, mman i wouldnt run it like that till you talk to expert.................................peace:smoke:

5. i run my 175 watt mh in my 400 watt hps system and it dosent explode ive used it on 24/0 for weeks at a time, dont know about a 1000 though

6. Doob, is that a MH conversion bulb? HPS requires an igniter which is built into the ballast (that's really the only difference between MH and HPS ballasts), and a MH bulb does not. And regardless wattages are supposed to match. What you are describing flies in the face of everything I've ever heard about how MH and HPS work. If it works for you, great, but I don't understand how.

7. i have a sunsystem also, and the "will burn up to XXXXwatts" is refering to the hood/reflector. mine says just that, "will burn 400w up to 1000w". i was confused also, as i got this from a friend and didn't have the manual. i took the box to my local hydro shop, and he set me straight. it's basically just stating that the hood can handle up to 1000w safely.

8. ^ yea

its not a conversion ballast.

yesterday I plugged the 400 mh in and fired it up (with the 1000 w hps ballast) it seemded fine, took bout 4 seconds to light up but then got really bright. the 1000 w hps worked fine right after it too.

am I just getting lucky here? if I leave it on for 18/6 or 24/7 could something bad happen?

I even asked jeeves and he didnt know!

what confuses me is,

isnt the whole point of the ballast to turn irregular ac/dc current and make its current a steady constant flow of 1000 watts?

so wouldnt the 400 w bulb burst? or would it just be really bright.

seeds should be here soon and I dont want to run a the mh if it could fail

helpppppppp

9. bump

I need an answer!

10. The ballast doesn't change ac to dc but regulates the amount of juice going through. A regular lightbulb can take the full standard household wattage and amperage and use what it needs without the rest affecting it. HID and fluoro lighting, on the other hand, need a strong pulse at the start to get going and then need a lower trickle to keep going, that's what the ballast does. So yes, it maintains a steady flow but after it gives it that needed initial pulse.

I am nervous for you about running a 400w bulb on a 1000w ballast. From what I know, yes, the bulb should explode or at least fry its guts out.