mh lights

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by K-9, Oct 20, 2009.

1. with these do i need a ballast like hps or do they just screw in? and are they good for growin mad bud?

2. #2 Joe Luxon, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
    Yes they require a Ballast Like a HPS bulb.

Yes they'll grow mad bud Indoors (in the Veg stage).

If you do a search for "digital Ballasts", you'll find Ballasts that are capable of running both HPS and MH lights

This will save you some cash later (if you havent allready invested in a Ballast for HPS), Becuase you'll be able to use the same ballast throughout the grow instead of having a seperate ballast for each bulb (swap the MH bulb out for your HPS bulb when your start your flowering phase, too easy!)

If youve got the cash, theres also a third option tho, something like the "hortilux dual arc", its basicly 2 bulbs in one, just like running a MH and HPS at the same time, Giving high output in both the blue and red spectrums, unlike the MH (blue spectrum peak) and HPS (red spectrum peak)

3. should i get a high watt ballast? i just read that you shouldnt put a 400w in a 600w ballast...

4. and what kind of ballast would i need for the dual arc

5. I'm relaying info about this from another forum, cannabisculture I think, as I understood it. They said that you can run a lower wattage bulb from a higher wattage ballast but it's dangerous. The ballast is not adjustable so it will be pushing 600 watts through a 400 watt bulb which can overheat and blow the bulb splattering 1800 degree shards of glass all over the place.

It also works the other way around but it's safer because you'd be pushing less watts through a larger bulb so the bulb can handle it. Also, they work longer that way.

At the end of the thread, they basically came to the conclusion that it's just best if you buy the ballast at the same size as the bulb.

K.I.S.S. concept - Keep It Simple Stupid lol

Don't worry about finding the specific ballast or bulb. Normally, they sell them together. Just do a search online or ask the grow shop clerk.

6. there is a 600w ballast + light + reflector on ebay for 280... is tha dear cause for the three it seems pretty good.... and could you put somethin like that in a rubbermaid? im doubtin it tho

7. Nobody i know uses the dual arc bulbs sorry, but some use HPS ballasts, some use Digital.
    I'm not sure, but i think its different depending on what brand of "dual arc" you look at (and theyll have the recommended ballast in their product data)