MH Lamps

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by HumCoToker, Jun 3, 2009.

1. I found these for sale near me. $45 for the ballast, reflector, and bulb. Will these work to grow with?

Used in Great Shape - Lithonia "Hi-Tek" Low Bay Light Fixtures - 250W Metal Halide
    I have a quantity of 14 of these. Price is each or make offer for all.
    These are Lithonia Hi-Tek # TH250M TB HSG (ballast housing), with #PA22E Series Reflector and #PR22 GL Glass Diffuser Lens.
    These were in a store for a short time and taken down during remodel. All were working fine when taken down.
    Lamps are included. Multi-Tap Ballast. Comes with a 3' rod w/ swivel mount.

Thanks.

Spark a joint and enjoy,
    HumCoToker:smoking:

2. #2 toastybiz, Jun 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2009
    I'm always leery of buying used stuff, that's what the phrase caveat emptor was invented for, but if it's as advertised then it's probably a good deal. A few key things, though:

- The ballast might be attached to the socket/fixture, which you don't want (you want a remote ballast so that you can keep it out of the grow room because it generates a lot of heat).

- How is that fixture shaped? Many HIDs in stores are in fixtures where the bulb hangs straight down, but you would want the bulb to be horizontal, with a reflector designed for that as well, so that more of the bulb's light-emitting area is exposed to the plants.

- I would want to know more about the bulbs.

- Make sure it includes all cords/cables needed.

3. I found the craigs list entry for these and the points that toastybiz is makig are true. The ballasts are integrated (causing additional heat) and the reflectors are the barrel shaped ones with the bulb hanging down.... you would need a tall grow room to fit these lights into (height of light + distance between light and plant + height of container with plant).