MH, HPS, or both?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Zeusophobia, Mar 14, 2006.

1. What type of lighting am I going to need for my growhouse? It says MH is good for vegatative growth, the plants do that. It says HPS is good for flowering, the plants do that too.
    I'm so confused :confused:

2. Dual spectrum hps...

3. Well you can't go wrong with both but if I had to pick one I'd go HPS. Yes MH is better for veg and HPS is better for flowering but plenty of folks grow all the way through with just one.

4. What you should do is get a Hps system and use it for flowering. And for veg you can buy a Mh conversion bulb that will work with your hps setup. This is one on ebay but you can find them in most hydro stores or other onlines stores. You get the best of both worlds and its a whole hell of a lot cheaper then buying two systems. Remember though the conversion bulb has to be the same wattage as your hps bulb.

5. moggybottom is right do the hps,,, and get you a conversion bulb....do a little more research you know what the 2 different bulbs do,,,,now search the whole h.i.d. lighting system,,,,,understand it,,,,real good ,,,,know what your buying and what its performance will be,,,search the different on line,,,stores most of these places will accept a money order thru the mail ,,it doesnt have to be a credit card transaction,,,,look up,,,,,[[discount hydro .com]]]]that will give you a general idea of prices,,,,,search all the sites that sell hid,,,,lights there are so many.....see ya

6. Or, to have both, you could get a system with a dual/switchable ballast, that's what I have.

What we all are saying is that having both is best, but if you can have only one then HPS because you won't flower well with only MH.

7. im only new but iv read and herad that a plant will grow only veg under a halide and do both under a hps

8. metal halide is very good for veg
    high pressure sodium is very good for flowering
    both at both times is the best
    i would buy 1 of each and make a veg. box and a flowering box that way you can clone your plants and harvest every two months

9. i forgot to mention a site,,,,""htgsupply"" this is the place i ordered mine from and i did a lot of research on prices and quality,,,,they sold me a hps 400 watt complete package to my door by a money order for 205.00 thats ballast reflector,,both bulbs ones a mh conversion,,,thats a good price for a new system ,,,refurbished ones are cheaper,,,its just your choice,,,

10. make 3 boxes, small flouro for sprouts, MH for veg, and HPS for flower... u can get buds like every other month doing this

11. HPS works fine from beggining to end..enough said.

12. just keep in mind,,your heat ..proper ventilation,,,odor control,,,and security,,,,let noone know of your grow,,,share your bud ,,,but not the info. that your growing it,,