MH/HPS lighting distance issues

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Twalker92, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Morning all,
    I've been having a problem with light intensity on the plants in my tent they were under a 600w MH at 60cm and the leaves started to taco which showed they were getting too hot/light stress. The temperature at the canopy was around 24-26 degrees Celsius and the heat felt fine on the back of my hand.

They've just gone into flower and I've changed to a 600w Hps, the heat increased quite a bit so I've moved the lamp to 74cm distance, the temperature just below the canopy is 25 degrees Celsius and the back of hand check seem fine but the distance seems like it's too far away?
    My air flow is good and I have a little fan to help circulate the air around. Is this all OK or is there a small problem somewhere potentially?
    Also the plant leaves in the tent feel a lot rougher like they're more dry than the ones outside the tent which are soft and nice to touch.
    Cheers.

2. What is the size of your grow area?

3. 40cm by 40cm. I was using a 250w light but it broke.

4. leave a temp gauge at leaf height for 30mins then check back

and adjust to suit

good luck

5. I do not have much experience in HIDs (mh/hps/cmh) but I know they put out tons of heat and have to be a couple feet above the plants.

6. Yeah they are pretty hot! It's currently sitting at 2.5ft above the plants.
    The temperature is 25 degrees celsius now, hopefully it'll be alright now

7. Make the switch to quantum boards man. Your temperatures will plummet like 15°-20°.

8. Its funny you should mention that! I'm about to order a bigger tent and 2 quantum boards just trying to get things right with the HID bulbs for the time being haha

9. Yea I never got them because they are cheaper put of store buy but your electric bill will skyrocket. LEDs conserve electricity. Yea man also make sure to get an intake fan 4" or 6" hook it up to a window. Then the extraction fan opposite end of tent. This way you have amazing airflow and also fresh outside air. Then your extraction fan is helping remove much of the heat.

Bro check out Horticulture lighting groups brand new QB648 diablo full cycle

10. I've got a 4' fan that I'll use for the intake and I'll grt a 6' fan for the extractor?
    Does that website sell or deliver to the UK do you know?

11. Oh damn I'm not sure if horticulture lighting group delivers to UK. I know Amazon does though.

12. Ok man I'll have a look for this "QB648 diablo full cycle" light and hopefully I can get one or two haha

13. that's way too small a space for 600watts

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Think he could fit 500w of qbs in there?

15. Yeah it's all I got at the moment bulb wise and tent

16. Yea scooby has a lot of knowledge. I know that quantum boards output far less heat than an hps

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1