MH/HPS light question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by MyDogSmokesWeed, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Hello everyone. Had a quick question that I haven't been able to find an answer to despite looking a good portion of the day. I was wondering if it's ok to run cold air through my light to cool it? I assume that's fine, but I'm also not 100% sure and don't want to hurt anything. I was thinking of my hooking up my fan to outside to get cold winter air, and blow it through my cool tube and then exhaust out the window. Just wondering if that's ok to do? I assume it is as MH and HPS lights are used outside in the street all the time, but I just wasn't sure if the same applied to grow lights. Is that indeed ok to do? Thanks.

2. It's all good man. Don't worry about it. They are designed for it. Unless its sub zero temps. Then maybe it might shorten life a little.

3. What if it is subzero temps? Is it still doable? Any way to fix it so it's not quite so cold?

4. Most manufacturers rate their lamps to like -20. And I think the air exchange happens so fast. Put a thermometer in there and see what she reads. Trial and error. If you're really concerned bring in ambient air.

5. I had a similar idea in the past but never done it.I am sure you will be fine unless you grow in Antarctica ...

6. Seems like it would be a great idea, but haven't tried it as of yet. When I get paid Friday I'll probably get the stuff to do it and report back with my findings. Would be great if it killed the heat. The room doesn't get very hot anyway if left closed, maybe 90ish, so if I have cold air going I'm thinking I can get it down to mid70's at least. We'll see though. Can't wait to set that up and get my giant hood. :hello::hello::hello:

7. Don't forget though, winter is only 1/4 of the year.

8. Not where I live. ;) It's a bit longer. I have an AC if need be.